Author Topic: Define "Launch Edition"  (Read 8172 times)

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

Define "Launch Edition"
« on: December 09, 2015, 04:44:02 am »
I'm having difficulty trying to figure out what constitutes a "Launch Edition." Would someone please give me a definition. I've never seen this term outside of this site. When is a more expensive, non-standard edition considered a Launch Edition instead of, for instance, a Limited or Collector's Edition? Maybe a definition can be included in the Style Guide.

karyann

Re: Define "Launch Edition"
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 09:48:46 am »
A Launch Edition is simply when a game's first batch of printed copies include something that will no longer be available when this batch is sold out. For instance, Atlus often bundles launch copies with an art book or a soundtrack, at no extra charge. It's an incentive to buy the game at launch.

We are currently working on a "new users" guide as well as adding missing details to the style guide, and I will note to add this too.

I hope I could clarify things for you, and thanks for the suggestion!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:50:21 am by karyann »

gf78

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 10:02:18 am »
I'll add that "launch editions" are also frequently labeled as "Day One" editions.  This seemed to really kick off when the Xbox One was released.  In this instance, the first batch of launch games were labeled as "Day One" editions.  This has carried over to numerous titles to designate it was the initial batch printed or like comic books, the 1st printing.  Sometimes as karyann mentioned, they included bonus dlc, booklets, etc.  Sometimes, it's just a tag on cover to entice people to pick the game up, again much like comics where there is a blurb stating "Collector's item 1st issue!" or something similar. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

rayne315

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 01:18:57 pm »
I have a question that follows this same thing.

Should their be 2 xenoblade chronicles listed? the first print and the second? The difference between them is that the case itself on the second printing they added the "Nintendo" molding directly above the spot for the cd. on the first printing the "Nintendo" molding did not exist.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:20:54 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 02:12:01 pm »

Should their be 2 xenoblade chronicles listed? the first print and the second? The difference between them is that the case itself on the second printing they added the "Nintendo" molding directly above the spot for the cd. on the first printing the "Nintendo" molding did not exist.
The only difference on the first and second printings is that the first printing has  Wii on the inside of the case, while the second has Nintendo on the case; which I'm not sure is that big of a difference to have two different listings. However, there is another version, the U.A.E/Saudi Arabia version of Xenoblade with the new ESRB logo, no regular manual inside, and a sticker on the front on the front with U.A.E/Saudi Arabia/Malysia/Singapiore Offical Product that can be listed as a seperate listing.

gf78

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 02:36:45 pm »

I would think as long as it includes the manual, both versions should be under the same listing.  It's entirely possible they were from the same pressing, but cases sourced from different factories may be the only reason for the discrepancy.  Since there is no inherent difference in the value, I would leave them as be.  If it's the second printing sans manual as maximo pointed out, I would list it separately.  I personally usually just make a note on my item to show if there is a difference like this. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 02:45:43 pm »
I know some folks like to indicate that their Xenoblade Chronicles is the first print as it is the more desired version. The "second print" was only released as "pre-owned" at Gamestop, so they did not have factory wrapping but included inserts such as the Club Nintendo points code card.

I can't confirm whether or not the second printing had a manual included.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 02:54:36 pm »
I know some folks like to indicate that their Xenoblade Chronicles is the first print as it is the more desired version. The "second print" was only released as "pre-owned" at Gamestop, so they did not have factory wrapping but included inserts such as the Club Nintendo points code card.

Second print did not have a manual.  Much like all newer releases from Nintendo, they have elected to put their games out without a manual and these "second prints" follow the same ideology. 

karyann

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 07:23:11 pm »

Since there's a difference in the cover, it can warrant its own listing. You don't have to list it differently if you don't mind knowing which one you own, but it would be equally as okay if someone else listed a new one and noted the difference in cover if they find it important to know the difference in their owned game.

My favorite example of this:
Super Mario Bros. 3 (Bros. above Mario's Head)
http://vgcollect.com/item/5372

Super Mario Bros. 3 (Bros. on Mario's hand)
http://vgcollect.com/item/8432

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 07:42:57 pm »

Second print did not have a manual.  Much like all newer releases from Nintendo, they have elected to put their games out without a manual and these "second prints" follow the same ideology.

I haven't seen anything online about the second print not having a manual. The only thing I've seen is that maybe one print had a reversible cover and the big indicator for a lot of folks is the "Nintendo" vs "Wii" imprint above the place where the disc is held.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

maximo310

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 08:42:59 pm »

I haven't seen anything online about the second print not having a manual. The only thing I've seen is that maybe one print had a reversible cover and the big indicator for a lot of folks is the "Nintendo" vs "Wii" imprint above the place where the disc is held.
The one without the manual is the third printing, which has a U.A.E/Saudi Arabia offical product sticker and the new esrb logo.