Author Topic: Accesssory vs Hardware  (Read 1123 times)

Accesssory vs Hardware
« on: December 16, 2015, 07:11:21 am »
Am I right in concluding that if a system has the following structure/categories in the database:

Console Accessory
Console Hardware

The only items belonging into the Hardware category is the actual different versions of the Console itself. All other peripherals/accessories should be put into the Accessory category?

gf78

Re: Accesssory vs Hardware
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 10:03:15 am »
Am I right in concluding that if a system has the following structure/categories in the database:

Console Accessory
Console Hardware

The only items belonging into the Hardware category is the actual different versions of the Console itself. All other peripherals/accessories should be put into the Accessory category?

Correctamundo. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 04:36:53 am »
Cool!  8)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 04:31:26 pm »
Would a Sega CD be an accessory or hardware?  :-\

gf78

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 09:22:33 pm »

I would say accessory since it cannot function on its own and is dependent on a Genesis/MegaDrive to function.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 02:27:08 am »

I would say accessory since it cannot function on its own and is dependent on a Genesis/MegaDrive to function.

But, at the same time, it has it's own library and it's own category here on vgcollect. Technically it was also considered it's own platform and there were hardware released that included both the Genesis/Mega Drive/Mega CD/Sega CD (the CDX/Multimega)

gf78

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:21:01 am »

But, at the same time, it has it's own library and it's own category here on vgcollect. Technically it was also considered it's own platform and there were hardware released that included both the Genesis/Mega Drive/Mega CD/Sega CD (the CDX/Multimega)

The combo units that had the Sega CD system built-in should be listed as hardware.  For example, a JVC X-Eye is a self-contained combo unit that plays both Genesis and Sega CD games.  If it's an add-on, regardless if it has games built specifically for it, it's an accessory.  It cannot function on it's own.