Author Topic: New Dreamcast...Really?!  (Read 9770 times)

kashell

Re: New Dreamcast...Really?!
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 08:27:35 am »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 12:12:26 pm »
Well.. http://kotaku.com/no-sega-isnt-launching-a-dreamcast-2-1749342080

Which is part of the debate that I'm talking about. We seem to be getting conflicted reports from different sources.

Here's what I got in my email last night, straight from the source:

Dec 23, 2015 — Dear all, there has been a few misconceptions following some misleading information regarding the campaign.

Let me make this clear:

1. We are petitioning Sega and want as many signatures as possible.

2. When we hit a satisfied number of signatures, we will put forth a detailed proposal to Sega (Japan) along with plans, desings etc.

3. We have a developer on board willing to build the console providing Sega give the green light.

4. The console is intended to be a Hybrid PC Dreamcast system with updated specs and the ability to redraw games in High Definition.

5. If Sega don't like our proposal, we are planning to push forth and create a machine capable of doing so, however that will require crowd funding.

6. There are other interested parties and we are in ongoing discussion with them and exploring many avenues.

7. The console is yet be named and is not planned to be called "Ring Edge or Ring Zero"

From the team at Project Dream, we thank you for understanding and urge you to please be patient. We are happy to hear your ideas for a new and improved machine.

gf78

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 02:14:00 pm »
I guess I'm just not seeing the point in releasing a "retro" console like Dreamcast 2 or the Coleco thing.  Nobody is going to buy them and software support will be pitiful.  There is no chance of getting Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, EA or any other big publisher to release games on it.  They have their own systems and retro titles are available for them through their various online stores. 

Dreamcast was a damn good system for it's time.  But I think many are seeing it through rose tinted glasses and nostalgia.  And along with that wave of nostalgia, also forgetting flaws like a short-ass controller cable, wired the wrong direction and no dual analog sticks.  What were the big games for it?  Here's a brief rundown of memorable titles.

Capcom Vs. SNK:  Replaced with a superior sequel
Chu Chu Rocket:  Ported to other systems(s)
Crazy Taxi & Crazy Taxi 2:  Ported to other systems and followed by a sequel on Xbox
Dead or Alive 2:  Ported to other systems and received sequels on other systems
Dino Crisis:  Available on other systems
Resident Evil (all):  Available on other systems in superior formats
All of the SNK Fighters:  Available on other systems
Grandia II:  Available on other systems
House of the Dead 2:  Ported to other systems and received sequels on other systems
Jet Grind Radio:  Ported to other systems and received a superior sequel on Xbox
All the other Capcom fighters:  Available on other systems in equal and/or superior formats
Phantasy Star Online:  Superior version available on other systems
Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament:  Superior on PC and PS2 because lack of 2nd analog stick
Rayman 2:  Available on multiple systems
Samba De Amigo:  Available on the Wii
Sega GT/Sega Rally/Daytona USA:  Superior alternatives on competing systems
Sega Smash Pack:  Compilations have been whored out to every platform imaginable
Skies of Arcadia:  Superior version made for Gamecube
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2:  Ported in superior form to Gamecube
Soul Calibur:  Great game.  But has received a multitude of just-as-good sequels on other platforms.
Space Channel 5:  Ported to PS2.
Virtua Fighter 3tb:  Superior sequels released on PS2, PS4 and Xbox 360.

That leaves us with the following exclusives:
Seaman
Shenmue
Sonic Shuffle
Typing of the Dead
Virtual On - Oratorio Tangram
Zombie Revenge

The rest is multiplatform titles and of no major significance anyway.  And of the six exclusives listed above, how many are truly memorable?  I'll give you Seaman and Shenmue.  But Sonic Shuffle, Typing of the Dead, Virtual On and Zombie Revenge suck.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

maximo310

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2015, 03:31:17 pm »
I'd have to disagree that dreamcast  does not have a ton of good games. There's a ton of shmups on the system and many of them( along with other arcade games) are very close to perfect ports since many were developed for the Sega Naomi arcade system, which is a Dreamcast with 2x texture memory and 4x sound memory. Many Dreamcast games that are Naomi ports are for the most part more accurate compared to their ports on other systems; get the Dreamcast arcade stick and you're ready to go.  For the games you listed: Typing of the Dead can be pretty fun; but it's defenitely not needed if you already have house of the dead 2; virtual on needs the twin sticks to really get the most playability. Capcom vs SNK 2 is available on Dreamcast in Japan; some of the Capcom fighters like Jojo are still the best version you can get on any platform, samba de amigo is better compared to the wii version( which the wii mote is not well done)
Some of the Japan exclusives for the Dreamcast defenitely help pad out the amount of games. Even though the praise for Dreamcast can seem a bit excessive at times; there are a ton of games available on the platform as exclusives or as the best multiplatform version still available.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 04:49:48 pm by maximo310 »

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2015, 04:42:33 pm »
Yea for me the DC is the console of the perfect Last Blade II port and all those fantastic shmups, I don't care too much of the NAOMI & 3D stuff except for a very few games mentioned above, that's why I couldn't care less of a Dreamcast 2 PC thing that render 3D games in HD...
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2015, 01:59:54 pm »
The site is now live:

http://www.projectdream.co/

I so want this to work. I know the odds are low, but who doesn't want Sega to return to the console scene?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 01:04:42 pm »

retroone

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2016, 08:23:53 pm »
Sega needs to focus on being able to make a game before thinking about a console.

sin2beta

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:16 pm »
Sega needs to focus on being able to make a game before thinking about a console.

Unfortunately, I agree with this to a large degree. Not that SEGA doesn't have good games. They've made several recently. Yakuza being a huge shining star. And with ATLUS, you have a lot. But there is not a need for a console. They make games on PC and the other consoles that are basically PCs. I'm a huge SEGA fan and even I think a new console would be pointless.

Now, I would love for them to get back into hardware for controllers. Just make Saturn controllers for PCs again. And maybe a modified (dual stick dreamcast controller (although Microsoft basically did this already).
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 11:00:16 pm »
These guys (along with Wikipedia and most websites) have no real knowledge of the Dreamcast. I'm sick of reading that the Dreamcast was produced until March 31st. That was the date that existing hardware inventory was to be liquidated by. Production ceased on January 31st (if not earlier - just like my user id).

It would be amazing to see a new Sega console, and I would buy it immediately even though I know it would fail worse than Wii U. Realistically I don't see this ever happening. It would be cool to see penetration numbers like the old Dreamcast ads showed though. Billions playing Dreamcast 2.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2016, 10:37:27 am »
^ I think it would be an immediate success out of the gate, actually. Just the novelty of Sega selling consoles again would move units. The problem after that would be Sega struggling to keep selling them after that novelty wore off.

But I think a lot of people are misinterpreting this, just from that comment. From what I can see, they don't want an all-new console (I'd love that if it was, though). They want a modernized version of the Dreamcast. One that can have a hard-drive to install games to, one that can play DVDs & Blu-Rays, and one that can play in 720/1080 HD.

Another misconception I'm seeing: Sega doesn't make hardware. They make all kinds of arcade hardware. Hardware isn't one of their hurdles.

One thing that's not a misconception, though, is their game quality. I really can't argue that. They aren't the Sega of old. This would be something supported by the collector's/retro market, and by indie-developers if it's capable of new games. I'm sure. But being part of that retro market, I'd still be happy with that.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2016, 02:34:31 pm »
@burningdoom - I guess it depends on what market they are going for. If they are looking to distribute through retail channels again and sign on 3rd party developers then I just can't imagine this working. Even Nintendo couldn't make it work this gen. If they are looking for a niche market and to appease the vgcollect kind of crowd then they might do ok. The Neo Geo X bombed though recently although it doesn't have the brand recognition like Sega.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2016, 12:57:33 pm »
A protoype UI is completed and available to view on YouTube and negotiations have begun with Sega; according to the latest email update I received this morning.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2016, 11:52:01 pm »
A protoype UI is completed and available to view on YouTube and negotiations have begun with Sega; according to the latest email update I received this morning.

Thanks for the update.

Warmsignal

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2016, 12:14:57 pm »
A new Dreamcast? No, not really. It isn't going to happen. Even if it's on store shelves tomorrow, I say it still isn't happening. Fans concoct this idea every few years and it will never happen because Sega is in no position to ever do such a thing and will never be again.