Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 69584 times)

kashell

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2016, 10:49:47 am »
That sounds like a good idea.

telly

« Reply #181 on: April 01, 2016, 09:34:06 am »
Game 7 - The Thing (PS2) - 6 Hours

I purchased this game mainly because of the cover, I love it so much. That said, this was a lot better then I was expecting; it's not perfect, but it nails that American horror/gore movie vibe thing pretty well.

+ The game had a lot of the atmosphere I just mentioned, particularly after the first hour or so of the game. It's also really cool to control your squad members and keep them from being too scared by giving them weapons and avoiding dead people and gruesome sights. The story was decent too- it fit the mood of the game really nicely.

- There was a criminally small amount of music in this game. It really could have used some scary sounds or tracks to accompany the game and not just the cutscenes. Also graphically the game has not aged well. There were some minor AI bugs too - sometimes I couldn't get them to follow me where I wanted.

Back to my list

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:38:35 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2016, 04:12:59 am »
17 - Hyper Light Drifter (PC) - 5 Hours FINISHED - Just beat the game and I was rather underwhelmed.  It's a generally good game, but I feel like some design decisions lessen the experience for me.  Outside of game related tutorial elements, there is no dialogue or voice anywhere.  This works out well with interactions involving NPC's as they are basically like speech bubble pixel art paintings.  You can basically figure out what they mean through them and I really like it.  But because this game tells you very little, I know nothing about the plot at all.  I can sorta piece out some basics, but it's so vague most of the time, it just lacks any substance because of it.  I don't want to spend time reading reddit threads about translations people do with the monoliths hidden in the game to piece it all together.  It's like Bloodborne, but even more vague and it wasn't great in Bloodborne either.  Still a good game, despite my issues with its storytelling and it's combat is a little wonky at times.

kashell

« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2016, 08:41:03 am »
I finished the Fishy Tales of the Nekomata. Now it's on to A Cause to Daikon For.

I usually can't stand DLC, but the way they handled it with Muramasa is great.

devancowan

« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2016, 09:53:08 pm »
Finished up Life is Strange tonight. I had no idea what the game was like before picking it up but it was well worth it. It's very similar to the Telltale games where there's 5 different chapters and you mostly just make important decisions with a few puzzles thrown at you here and there. First of all the soundtrack is amazing. I'm so glad I picked up the collectors edition which included it. The game was great up until chapter 5, where it got pretty confusing. Overall still a great game!  :)
8.5/10

Games Completed in 2016
Fallout 4 (XBone) - 01/11/2016
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (XBone) - 02/09/2016
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (3DS) - 03/29/2016
Life Is Strange (XBone) - 04/03/2016

« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2016, 04:52:49 am »
1 - Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U) - 23 HOURS FINISHED
Wow, took me long enough with this lol I kept getting sidetracked by other stuff.  Didn't help that I was honestly getting kinda bored with this game abit and trying to hurry and beat it so I could get to Twilight Princess HD.  I had never finished the game back when it first came out, but coming back to it, I don't particularly like this one too much.  The boat stuff is incredibly dull and tedious.  Having 85% of the world just be sea is boring.  Generally it was fine (I haven't found a bad Zelda yet, though the DS ones could become that based on controls I've seen), the art style is great and pretty timeless, and Ganon at the end was cool, not the usual truly evil Ganon we tend to get, though still bad, but classy I guess lol  I don't know how I'd place it in the realm of 3D Zeldas.  Might depend on how much I end up loving Twilight Princess again which I use to really like and that was back even with the awful wii controls.  I feel it might be somewhere in the bottom three with Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask as I know I love Ocarina of Time and I'm pretty positive I will still really like Twilight Princess.

« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2016, 10:10:06 am »
While playing Assassin's Creed on 360, I broke 100,000 points on my Gamerscore.

telly

« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2016, 10:39:12 pm »
Game 8 - Suikoden (PS1) - 19 Hours

This game has a lot of things going for it, and I did enjoy it a fair amount. It actually lessens my view of Suikoden II since SII is pretty much a copy-paste of a lot of the major themes and ideas from this game. At the same time, there are some major flaws with Suikoden, so it is far from my favorite. Funnily enough though I have a lot to say about it regardless.

+ As mentioned above, this game does a lot of great things. Music themes, vast and interesting characters, dark and interesting story elements; it’s all done really well. If you’ve played both games you might agree with me that it’s essentially the same basic structure in both. However, the major battles are done better in this game in my opinion, and the game has a certain charm to it, even though on the face of it, it is a little primitive.

(Warning: I don’t outright spoil anything, but you might get a tiny hint of how Suikoden’s story pans out if you already have played II, so just a fair warning for the negatives section.)

- There are two major flaws that stand out to me.  It was so annoying to be forced to take characters along during story elements. Even though you can have a party of 6, the game forces to take you 2 or sometimes 3 that you don’t get a choice over. It’s really sad that out of 108 characters, you can really only pick 3, 2 or sometimes none at all to take along. In addition, the game really drops the ball on some story elements that I wish were expended on further. If you’ve played both, maybe you see where I’m coming from: the similar "main theme" in both games just dies out and is never revisited in the middle of Suikdoen. It’s handled so much better in the second game. There’s also some nitpicky stuff like really unrefined menu and controls, really repetitive boss fights with the same attack patterns each time. Stuff like that.

And for those who are curious, I found 89/108 characters. Even though I didn’t use a guide like SII, it was much easier to find characters in this game.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:55:19 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

PlayerC90

« Reply #188 on: April 06, 2016, 08:46:28 am »
Original post: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6762.msg111013.html#msg111013

18. My Nintendo Picross The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess [3DS]: 3/5, 9 hours and 46 minutes
Another Picross game, still fun as always. There are some strange control changes that I don't really like in this one, but that's a minor complaint, especially for a free game.

kashell

« Reply #189 on: April 06, 2016, 09:50:22 am »
Game 8 - Suikoden (PS1) - 19 Hours Stuff

I 100% agree with your complaints about forced party members. It would drive me nuts when I was forced to always take some low-level nitwit along that ended up being dead weight. That was probably my biggest gripe with the game. What's the point in having over 100 personalities if you are forced to put up with three to four at a time?

These days, when someone asks which Suikoden is my favorite on the PlayStation, I tell them that I like them equally. Both did great things and both did not so great things, but the great things make them both worth playing. Nice job on getting so many stars without a guide!

telly

« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2016, 09:53:49 am »
Game 8 - Suikoden (PS1) - 19 Hours Stuff

I 100% agree with your complaints about forced party members. It would drive me nuts when I was forced to always take some low-level nitwit along that ended up being dead weight. That was probably my biggest gripe with the game. What's the point in having over 100 personalities if you are forced to put up with three to four at a time?

These days, when someone asks which Suikoden is my favorite on the PlayStation, I tell them that I like them equally. Both did great things and both did not so great things, but the great things make them both worth playing. Nice job on getting so many stars without a guide!

Gremio...  ::)

Also I didn't think Victor was that great either haha
Currently Playing:

« Reply #191 on: April 07, 2016, 08:36:33 am »
Sitting at 39 games beat out of 51 games played this year.  Game 52 will likely be Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

kashell

« Reply #192 on: April 07, 2016, 08:51:46 am »

Gremio...  ::)

Also I didn't think Victor was that great either haha

Gremio...don't get me started on Gremio. I'll just say this: I have a new respect for roses.

abe

« Reply #193 on: April 07, 2016, 05:11:26 pm »
Finished up my replay of Super Mario Sunshine. I still prefer it over Super Mario Galaxy, but there are some annoying bits. The sections without FLUDD were kinda annoying, and the camera wasn't great either. Good fun regardless.

Finished Games (replayed games are in purple)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) Jan-17
  • Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (GBA) Jan-31
  • Hoshi no Kirby 2 (GB) [JP] Feb-07
  • Grand Theft Auto V (PS4) Feb-09
  • Hoshi no Kirby (GB) [JP] Feb-16
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) Feb-16
  • Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (3DS) Mar-01
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (WiiU) Mar-11
  • Pikmin 3 (WiiU) Mar-13
  • Hoshi no Kirby 64 (N64) [JP] Mar-17
  • Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS) Mar-26
  • Super Mario Sunshine (GCN) Apr-07 **New**
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

karyann

« Reply #194 on: April 07, 2016, 08:23:00 pm »
You fine people are really getting your game on! I'm just dropping by to mention that I beat Skyward Sword a while back, and Child of Light and My Nintendo Picross: Twilight Princess recently. All three were awesome on different levels, though I do have some complaints on Skyward Sword's damn motion controls ::)

I'm currently sitting at 7 beaten / 16 played, which is okay given the circumstances. Progress is progress!