Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 70002 times)

kashell

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #375 on: September 27, 2016, 08:28:26 am »
I got your back. I'll keep reminding you.
Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash.  I don't like Hewie.  Hewie is the worst.

Hewie takes some getting used to. Even if you treat him like royalty and praise him each time he makes a discovery or does what he is told, he still can act out.

I'm not sure which guide you're following, but since the stalkers seem to appear at random it might be tricky to rely on a guide for 100% accuracy.

« Reply #376 on: September 27, 2016, 09:50:48 am »
I got your back. I'll keep reminding you.
Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash.  I don't like Hewie.  Hewie is the worst.

Hewie takes some getting used to. Even if you treat him like royalty and praise him each time he makes a discovery or does what he is told, he still can act out.

I'm not sure which guide you're following, but since the stalkers seem to appear at random it might be tricky to rely on a guide for 100% accuracy.
I was referring to actual events.  It said something like go search the wall over here and it'll activate a cutscene, but no cutscene happened.  It's one of the walkthroughs on GameFAQs.

But yeah, it throws a wrench into things, the random spawns.  And I guess I really don't understand how to get rid of the Debilitas.  They either chase too fast or too slow.  Either I can't hide because they are too close, or I can hide, but they are too far away and never initiate the hiding to coast clear scene.

But I did beat Ace Combat 2 during the day since I didn't want to play Haunting ground during sunlight hours.  Soon we are going to invent in some nice light blocking curtains.

kashell

« Reply #377 on: September 27, 2016, 09:55:29 am »
Did Hewie attack Deb's neck when he popped out of the hole? If so, then that's actually a good thing. Hewie can sort of "level up" and learn new attacks during certain moments of the game.

« Reply #378 on: September 27, 2016, 10:05:37 am »
Did Hewie attack Deb's neck when he popped out of the hole? If so, then that's actually a good thing. Hewie can sort of "level up" and learn new attacks during certain moments of the game.
No.  The hole was like 2 or 3 zones away.  He came from several screens away, barked at the Deb, and then ran away. 

« Reply #379 on: September 28, 2016, 07:38:47 am »
So my wife convinced me to continue playing.

I walked into the zone with the Deb and Hewie, the Deb proceeded to limp away back towards his house.  I guess Hewie beat him up?

Apparently, if Hewie is away from you, he barks, and when he barks, it attracts Debs.

kashell

« Reply #380 on: September 28, 2016, 08:14:57 am »
Yeah, that's really helpful for Deb. The other stalkers aren't as dimwitted as Deb so you'll get to start experimenting with new methods of teamwork with him.

shfan

« Reply #381 on: September 28, 2016, 06:02:12 pm »
17) Metal Slug 3 (Xbox)

Oh, OK, that was quick. Not easy, though. In order to beat this I had to use the option to start on any stage (limited continues), reached the final stage but then ran out of continues, so restarted at that stage and even then finished with only 2 lives remaining. Phew! Still, MS games are so much fun to play, this is why I love to have my PS2/Xbox always set up in the den :D Looking forward to trying some more games from their libraries to take a break from monster slaying.

If you're a fan of that stuff I'd reccomend picking up Metal Slug Anthology for the PS2, or if that's out of your price range, then get the Metal Slug 4/5 pack on Xbox.  Anthology gives you all 6 Metal Slug games, and extra bonus content with it.

Thanks for the tip Maximo, I've got MS Anthology for the Wii, haven't played it yet. I do have a couple of decent quality arcade sticks for the Wii, hope it's compatible :D I also want to play the CT Special Forces games for the PS1/GBA - apparently they're very similar too, have the third one already, need to try it.

shfan

« Reply #382 on: September 28, 2016, 06:05:10 pm »
18) House of the Dead III (Xbox)

And another one bites the dust, no description needed. Was surprised to find that after trying and failing it once, my next go gave me twice the continues (yay!), so when I slumped in the chair for a quick go I ended up beating it.

Ignition: Haunting Ground's a pretty unusual game compared to most survival horrors, but it is well worth sticking with, you will get the hang of it and get through. It's pretty unforgiving when it wants to be.

kashell

« Reply #383 on: September 29, 2016, 09:20:36 pm »
Reviews are posted for 7th Dragon and Baten Kaitos Origins. This year has been so awesome for video games!

kashell

« Reply #384 on: October 03, 2016, 12:31:41 pm »
The review is posted for Mega Man Xtreme.

Also, I finished both Mega Man 4 and Mega Man 5 for the first time! Both were pretty fun, but Mega Man 5 was better.

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #385 on: October 04, 2016, 12:53:51 am »

Deadpool (PS4) (10/06/2016)
As a Deadpool fan, I really enjoyed this game. But ultimately this game is a average hack-n-slash game with some shooting elements. It's a worse version of Devil May Cry. It's not that it's bad, but if it wasn't for Deadpool being the games main character, there probably wouldn't be much of a point. The writing is great, I laughed a ton. Nolan North nailed it as the Merc with the Mouth. The script is definitely the best part of the game. The enemies are varied enough to be interesting, but they're somewhat of a pain to fight. The game has some strange difficulty spikes that come out of nowhere. That made me annoyed more than once. On a technical level this game has some problems. At one point, I couldn't get a lift to lower so I could continue with the level. After restarting it worked, but those kind of bugs shouldn't be in the game. Is it a memorable game? Not really. But is it a fun game? Yep. Not bad, but not great. I wanted a funny Deadpool game and that's what I got. I only wish the actual game part was a little better. (3.5/5)
I am nowhere near close but after a rough month with little game time, I finished the Deadpool game. Might be time to go for some more retro titles.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:58:51 am by Limeface »

shfan

« Reply #386 on: October 06, 2016, 12:45:38 pm »
19) Dungeons II (PS4)

Dungeon Keeper clone, nice narration, enjoyed it, might continue in order to get achievements and try skirmish mode.

kashell

« Reply #387 on: October 09, 2016, 06:16:29 pm »
Atelier Sophie has been finished. I'm really looking forward to writing a review for it because this was one of the best games I have played not only this year, but for quite some time.

shfan

« Reply #388 on: October 10, 2016, 03:35:06 am »
Wow, was it really that much of a departure from previous games in the series Kashell?

kashell

« Reply #389 on: October 10, 2016, 09:06:46 am »
Wow, was it really that much of a departure from previous games in the series Kashell?

Slightly. The two most apparent changes were Item Creation and battles, both of which got a sizable make over. Since it's the beginning of a new series, it feels fresh with a new setting, new lore, new characters, etc.

It's still an Atelier title, but the combination of all of the little changes make it stand out. It's great. I only need one more trophy before I get the platinum.