Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 69895 times)

kashell

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #435 on: December 03, 2016, 02:35:31 pm »
I finished Kirby and The Rainbow Curse last night. This was the first Wii U game I finished this year. I'm so glad I finally have one of these consoles!

After playing and reviewing Gigawing on the Dreamcast, I saw a lot of people online praising it heavily, enough to where I second guessed myself and thought that maybe there was something I overlooked or missed.

I replayed the game tonight. While I did not utilize the reflect shield mechanic as much as I should have the first time around, it did little to improve my overall opinion of this game or how enjoyable, or rather the lack thereof, it is. Really sad because I can't understand why others praise this one so much.

That's interesting you mention that. I saw Giga Wing at a store today for over 100 bucks. I asked the guy what the deal was with this and he mentioned it was one of his favorite shmups of all time. But, he was probably just trying to make a sale so I said no.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 02:49:22 pm by kashell »

« Reply #436 on: December 03, 2016, 03:21:20 pm »
I finished Kirby and The Rainbow Curse last night. This was the first Wii U game I finished this year. I'm so glad I finally have one of these consoles!

After playing and reviewing Gigawing on the Dreamcast, I saw a lot of people online praising it heavily, enough to where I second guessed myself and thought that maybe there was something I overlooked or missed.

I replayed the game tonight. While I did not utilize the reflect shield mechanic as much as I should have the first time around, it did little to improve my overall opinion of this game or how enjoyable, or rather the lack thereof, it is. Really sad because I can't understand why others praise this one so much.

That's interesting you mention that. I saw Giga Wing at a store today for over 100 bucks. I asked the guy what the deal was with this and he mentioned it was one of his favorite shmups of all time. But, he was probably just trying to make a sale so I said no.

Maybe it's because there was such a limited amount of SHMUPs on the console and also because the Dreamcast is so loved, but I feel like this game is overhyped for those two reasons. The only SHMUP on the Dreamcast that was officially released during its lifespan (at least in North America) that I think is worth what it's going for online and lives up to the hype is Mars Matrix. Don't get me wrong,most of the other SHMUPs on the system are good fun too, but unfortunately the Dreamcast has fallen HARD to collectorism recently and games that I would argue should only be worth no more than $50 are going for over $100, like Gigawing. I got in a long time ago when most of these games were $30 or under and glad I did.

maximo310

« Reply #437 on: December 04, 2016, 01:16:16 am »

Maybe it's because there was such a limited amount of SHMUPs on the console and also because the Dreamcast is so loved, but I feel like this game is overhyped for those two reasons. The only SHMUP on the Dreamcast that was officially released during its lifespan (at least in North America) that I think is worth what it's going for online and lives up to the hype is Mars Matrix. Don't get me wrong,most of the other SHMUPs on the system are good fun too, but unfortunately the Dreamcast has fallen HARD to collectorism recently and games that I would argue should only be worth no more than $50 are going for over $100, like Gigawing. I got in a long time ago when most of these games were $30 or under and glad I did.
I have been hunting for Giga Wing too, and its riduculous how much it went up in price in the last few years along with the other shmups like Gunbird 2 and Zero Gunner 2.  I heard the Dreamcast port may have an input lag issue too. The Dreamcast imports selection is also having a huge price creep in imports similar to the Saturn shmup library, which forces me to use emulation for most of what I want to play.

Although I will say that Giga Wing 2 is probably more overhyped than the first game, and the price being almost $200 is even crazier considering it was a $30 MSRP on release.

« Reply #438 on: December 04, 2016, 11:14:09 am »

I have been hunting for Giga Wing too, and its riduculous how much it went up in price in the last few years along with the other shmups like Gunbird 2 and Zero Gunner 2.  I heard the Dreamcast port may have an input lag issue too. The Dreamcast imports selection is also having a huge price creep in imports similar to the Saturn shmup library, which forces me to use emulation for most of what I want to play.

Although I will say that Giga Wing 2 is probably more overhyped than the first game, and the price being almost $200 is even crazier considering it was a $30 MSRP on release.

I don't have any of the Japan-only Dreamcast SHMUPs so I feel you there. I've been dying to get my hands on Zero Gunner 2 and it's going to be a sad day for my wallet when I finally take the plunge.

I haven't really noticed any lag, but then again I have never played most of these games in the arcade so I guess I can't say for sure.

Gigawing 2 is extremely overpriced. I dislike it more than the first Gigawing despite having better graphics and definitely is not designed as well. I think a huge aspect of its price is its rarity; I picked up my copy about 3-years ago and remember having to check in to eBay daily for several weeks before an auction popped up. I think there were only a few overpriced BINs at the time, but yeah, it's a genuinely rare game.

« Reply #439 on: December 05, 2016, 12:19:26 am »
Well, I did it; with nearly a month in the year to spare I actually did it :)

Thanks to me getting really into arcade ports of Sega's last two home consoles I was able to quickly beat these and move on to the next. I am in the middle of a few more in depth games that I may end up beating before the end of the year, in which case I will post them here. Here is review number 52 in case anyone is interested:

52. Virtua Fighter Remix (Saturn): This game manages to update the character models significantly over the original release whole retaining all the charm, gameplay, and frustrations of the original as well. I really like this addition, but despite it looking very rough these days, I still prefer the original. And I have to say it, FUCK YOU PAI!!!!!

« Reply #440 on: December 06, 2016, 04:33:19 am »
42 - Final Fantasy XV (PS4) - FINISHED - Really burned through this game and have done a majority of what is available here to do and realized I am almost about to Platinum the game which I never do.  I already wrote up my review of the game in the FF thread, but basically, I think it's a great game, strong 8/10, that suffers from some poor story execution, occasionally frustrating camera system, not a particularly amazing combat system (though it's kinda always a visual treat I think), and a few other minor issues that didn't really hamper what I thought was a real enjoyable experience.  Easily the best Final Fantasy game I've played in many years.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:35:25 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #441 on: December 08, 2016, 12:00:35 am »
Updated list:

Cities: Skylines
Super Mario Maker
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
Tomb Raider (2013)
Alien: Isolation
Mega Man X2
LEGO Marvel's Avengers
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Broforce
Halo 3: ODST
Dark Souls
Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows
New Super Mario Bros. U
Max Payne 3
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Imperialism
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Mad Max
Lumines: Electronic Symphony
Doom (2016)
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Shovel Knight
(PS4)
Resident Evil HD
Hitman: Blood Money
Donkey Kong Country
Transformers: Devastation
The Banner Saga
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
God of War
God of War II
God of War III
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:32:46 am by Cartagia »

kashell

« Reply #442 on: December 12, 2016, 09:06:39 am »
I can add Shadow Complex to the list. I finished it over the weekend.

rayne315

« Reply #443 on: December 14, 2016, 08:52:49 pm »
well this should be the last post (especially with only 2 and a half weeks left)(Rayne thinks that, but its my birthday this weekend and i want to play videogames!!!!)

previous list

https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6762.msg129397.html#msg129397

94. Imagine Sweet 16 (ds):

95. The Amazing Race (Wii):

96. Mario Super Sluggers (Wii):

97. Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (Wii):

98. Endless Ocean: Blue Planet (Wii)

Rayne is Playing:
Shovel knight: I have beaten this last year but now im playing through the plague knight storyline and its a lot more difficult so far.
Animal Crossing New Leaf:
Personal trainer: Walking: this will be a very long time to complete because the walk the world feature requires literally the equivalent of walking around the world to 100% but I figure just throw the walker into my pocket and I will eventually beat this. currently taken about 200,000 steps and am 15% through the pictures which take more and more steps to complete each picture. I did the math and it will take ~50,000,000 steps to 100%

Bowsers inside story

Girlfriend is Playing:
1. Guild Wars 2
2. Skyrim (Modded)
Goals for the year:
1. Beat 100+ games in a year (any game even easy one hour games)
I need to start letting my girlfriend type out my posts she does a better job at it then i do ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:12:16 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #444 on: December 15, 2016, 03:27:11 pm »
43 - Dead Rising 4 (PC) - Abandoned - Unfortunately, I'm dropping the game.  Had a review written up, which I think the game is still fine, something to enjoy well enough I assume on Xbone if you have one, like a 7/10 game, but the PC version runs bad.  I didn't bring it up as much before, but once I got out of the mall, I took a performance hit.  I dropped the settings abit and it was going okay, I was gonna persevere.  This was on top of a few crashes and bugs that were frustrating, but I'm someone that can deal with a lot of issues with certain games.  I'm a huge fan of the STALKER series and anyone that knows, knows those games are buggy as utter hell...or basically most of what Bethesda makes lol

I was okay into the third area of the game, performance was holding since it's not a very crazy area, but I hit the 4th area and took another performance hit.  I will not stoop to playing a PC game on low.  They do not look good.  I will drop some stuff down to medium and turn a few things off that don't bother me, but I can't forgive a game like this.  I was able to play Doom, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, and others on mostly high settings across the board.  My PC is getting abit rough around the edges, but it's not that bad, especially since I feel like they've just brought over a lot of what Dead Rising 3 was, which ran fine for me.

I'll get back into this game again when it comes out on Steam, I thought I saw someone say maybe 3 months, and it has hopefully been fixed.  Bit bummed to abandon yet another game, but this one I'll get back to someday unlike the others.

Also, luckily Microsoft was mostly easy enough to get a refund for the game so I'm not just eating 60 bucks, though it was a tad hard to figure out how to find where I needed to get help from.  Now I guess I got time to finish Tokyo Mirage Sessions or see about renting The Last Guardian.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:29:38 am by kamikazekeeg »

kashell

« Reply #445 on: December 16, 2016, 09:10:46 am »
The review for Mega Man Xtreme 2 is up. Also, last night I finished Gunvolt's side in Azure Striker Gunvolt. Now I'm going to start Copen's side.

« Reply #446 on: December 17, 2016, 12:18:09 pm »
Going above and beyond this year lol

53. Raiden Fighters (360): What I like to call a classic shooter, Raiden Fighters is less about a zillion projectiles on the screen and more about reflexes and timing. I thoroughly enjoyed this game and felt it was very well made overall. The soundtrack was great, the ship variety was good, and all around I had a great time with this one.

54. Raiden Fighters 2 (360): This game is more or less just like the first one albeit with new stages, new bosses and a lot more ships to choose from. Everything i liked from the first one was carried over to this game and I enjoyed it just as much.

« Reply #447 on: December 23, 2016, 03:12:22 am »
44 - Abzu (PC) - 2 Hours BEAT - I only grabbed this cause it was super cheap, but much like Journey, it's a very visually pleasing game that blends music wonderfully, but is pretty shallow really and that is not a pun.  It's clearly meant to be just a chill swim with no threats, puzzles, or anything like that, but it sorta just makes it feel abit hollow by the time you beat it.  Maybe if it had a story that could be followed, it might seem more interesting, but like Journey, there's nothing there.  I'd say Abzu is lesser than Journey, because it's almost a complete recreation of it, just underwater.  The same vague story of going through ruins and learning the background which is just "Things were good, then they weren't", it's practically beat for beat, though I think Journey did it all better.  It's not bad, I can't honestly say a single bad thing about it, the game is absolutely charming at times, it's just nothing more than what it is.  Maybe that's unfair to put what I'd like to see onto the game and not look at it for what it is, but in the end, it's just a nice small game.  I wouldn't recommend a full price tag on it, but if you can get it for like 5 to 10 bucks, that's probably alright.

shfan

« Reply #448 on: December 23, 2016, 08:34:54 am »
21) Mount and Blade: Warband (PS4)

This one took a month's solid gaming time away from everything else, may as well have played an epic RPG for all the time it took, not that I mind, absolutely loved this game!

abe

« Reply #449 on: December 23, 2016, 02:02:05 pm »
Life got busy and Overwatch has taken up quite a bit of my free gaming time, so I've kinda fallen (very) short of the 52 games challenge for this year. :-[ On the bright side, I did get a couple more platinum trophies. :) Here's a mini update.

Finished (replayed games are in purple) Full List Here
    21. Resident Evil HD (PS4) Aug-30
    22. Pokémon Sun (3DS) Dec-01
    23. Battlefield 1 (PS4) Dec-02
    24. Mario Kart 7 (3DS) Dec-18
    25. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle (PS3) Dec-23
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:06:32 pm by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)