Author Topic: January 2016 Pickups and Finds  (Read 24895 times)

karyann

Re: January 2016 Pickups and Finds
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2016, 10:05:50 pm »
Further proof that I'm not serious collector! Earthbound, a reproduction copy. DUN DUN DUN... Blasphemyyyyyy!

Meh, imo as long as you just gather something that interests you, that's collecting. If you just want to play games, repros are a cheaper alternative. An ex-coworker once told me that "you can't call yourself a collector unless you have at least 1000 items", and that's one of the bullshitiest bullshit that he's told me  ::)

I've kinda been re-deciding my collection criteria recently. I started accepting to buy digital games if their physical counterpart has an insane price (like Legend of Mana or Demon's Crest). My original goal was: "I want to own the games that I like so that I can play them whenever I feel like it". I'm trying to go back to this original idea now, and will most likely thin out a lot of things soon.

Anyway, back on subject... nice find  ;)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2016, 10:43:29 pm »
Further proof that I'm not serious collector! Earthbound, a reproduction copy. DUN DUN DUN... Blasphemyyyyyy!

I've also decided to go the repro route. Prices on the stuff I have left has just gotten too crazy!

soera

« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2016, 12:19:28 am »
That is one thing I like the most about this site is that you dont get judged for repros, regardless of what it is. If I had the option, I would get a repro of Magic Knight Rayearth in a split second.

I personally think that the majority of the people that dont like repros of already released games are the ones that have too much money invested in the game already.

Warmsignal

« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2016, 12:50:17 am »

Meh, imo as long as you just gather something that interests you, that's collecting. If you just want to play games, repros are a cheaper alternative. An ex-coworker once told me that "you can't call yourself a collector unless you have at least 1000 items", and that's one of the bullshitiest bullshit that he's told me  ::)

I've kinda been re-deciding my collection criteria recently. I started accepting to buy digital games if their physical counterpart has an insane price (like Legend of Mana or Demon's Crest). My original goal was: "I want to own the games that I like so that I can play them whenever I feel like it". I'm trying to go back to this original idea now, and will most likely thin out a lot of things soon.

Anyway, back on subject... nice find  ;)

Thanks, and I agree. At some point you have to say that it's just too much, and do the more reasonable thing if the option is there.

Has anyone else noticed that the Starmen in Earthbound look a lot like the Solway "Spaceman"? I wonder if that was the inspiration for them. Also the fact that a lot of superstitious people believed this spaceman was from the future. Coincidence?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:53:12 am by Warmsignal »

maximo310

« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2016, 01:15:24 am »
I've been thinking about getting an everdrive for the snes/genesis just because of the prices for those games in general. Especially since they support patched roms for Japanese/European games as well.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2016, 02:51:37 am »
I've been thinking about getting an everdrive for the snes/genesis just because of the prices for those games in general. Especially since they support patched roms for Japanese/European games as well.

I have both of those everdrives. They are indeed fantastic on the original consoles. But the Mega Ever Drive does not work on many clone consoles.

Neither work with the Retron 5. :(

« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2016, 09:03:28 am »
Repros of official carts bother me because you are paying some dude quite a bit of money for a knock off.  I don't quite know how to explain it other than that.  Buying second hand copies doesn't benefit the original developer or publisher, but buying repros of official games puts money into the pockets of folks who imo are scum.  Same goes to folks who sell repro labels and boxes and try to pass it off as authentic.

Plus, by creating repros of official games, it gives folks who actually are scum the opportunity to attempt to sell the game as official to make money off of the fact that an official goes for so much higher than a repro.

I personally would much rather emulate than by a repro.  I'd consider an everdrive, but they are expensive, and generally I find OG controllers suck.  All of my NES controllers suck or the controllers suck in general.  I find that a Wii classic controller is much more comfortable and responsive than a SNES controller.  ETC.

As much as I'm against piracy, I'd rather see folks pirating software before paying good money to a counterfeiter.

Repros of hacked, homebrew, or translated games are completely different.

I have both of those everdrives. They are indeed fantastic on the original consoles. But the Mega Ever Drive does not work on many clone consoles.

Neither work with the Retron 5. :(
There is a trick you can do with the Retron5, and I've done it, where using ANY SNES cart, you can patch the game so that you are playing ANY SNES game you want.

I popped in my test cart (a copy of Super Mario World with a damaged casing and no label, that I use to test systems and controllers), patched the ROM, and it loaded up Fire Emblem translated into English.

I believe the method also works for Genesis and NES games.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:08:25 am by ctracy87 »

rayne315

« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2016, 01:33:07 pm »

I personally would much rather emulate than by a repro.  I'd consider an everdrive, but they are expensive, and generally I find OG controllers suck.  All of my NES controllers suck or the controllers suck in general.  I find that a Wii classic controller is much more comfortable and responsive than a SNES controller.  ETC.

As much as I'm against piracy, I'd rather see folks pirating software before paying good money to a counterfeiter.

Repros of hacked, homebrew, or translated games are completely different.

I found a halfway point that I like. a while ago I bought an original copy of conker's bad fur day got it home and tried to play it but it did not work because the board was cracked and corroded to an unplayable/unfixable condition. so I took it back to the store I bought it from, got my money back. long story short I ended up buying the un-fixable cart for like a buck or so and have since emulated it whenever I want to play it.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

davifus

« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2016, 07:09:31 pm »
Yes, I found a copy of Bayonetta 2!

Thank you Gamestop.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2016, 07:36:04 pm »
Still preparing my PS4 collection for when I get a system, so I grabbed the Resident Evil Origins Collection, which has both the RE 1 and 0 HD releases.  Never really played either cause I didn't like the old control setup, but these are looking pretty snazzy and the alternate control methods interest me.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2016, 09:08:44 pm »
Just picked up the physical copy of Life Is Strange. Can't wait to watch my wife play through this.  Should be very interesting.

Also picked up a second PS Vita.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2016, 08:14:58 am »
I forgot to cancel my physical limited edition of Life is Strange... just came in the mail... 2 or 3 days ago.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2016, 11:38:26 am »
I forgot to cancel my physical limited edition of Life is Strange... just came in the mail... 2 or 3 days ago.

Did you get the ps 4 or Xbox one version?

I was on the fence. Finally decided to get it. Then all they had was.Xbox One version.

« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2016, 01:01:11 pm »

Did you get the ps 4 or Xbox one version?

I was on the fence. Finally decided to get it. Then all they had was.Xbox One version.
PS4.  As far as I'm aware it's still available from Best Buy's website

sworddude

« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2016, 05:15:53 pm »

I've also decided to go the repro route. Prices on the stuff I have left has just gotten too crazy!

I do not get why people buy repro carts of already released games.

I do get it saves allot of money but why buy 1 repro cart while you could buy an everdrive orso and be done in one shot for every game for that console (all imports exclusives included). Since you could just dowload all games to the cart of your liking. I do not get this, if your all about playing the game and don't give a damm about the original anyways you should go for the cheapest option.

You could even emulate it for free and play it on original hardware if you know what to do.

I do get it why they do this with antiques etc but if most people just buy a repro to play a game they should go for a cart in wich you can download all games.

If your going for the repro route just emulate your stuff, reproductions are really a piece of work for collectors since people can fake the original and abuse this aside it being a waste of money since there are so many other alternatives to save way more money than buying one repro cart after another for the expensive games.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 05:20:39 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!