Author Topic: Serious game collection?  (Read 3782 times)

Re: Serious game collection?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 09:01:25 am »
VGA graded 95+ only. :p

kashell

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 09:31:47 am »
If you're a participant on this website, then you're a super serial video game collector.

With other things that are considered collectibles such as coins, movies, books, etc. as long as the person enjoys adding to the collection, then they are serious.

gf78

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 10:14:06 am »
First, agree with you Flea.

Being serious about game collecting for me is having the systems and games I want as well as whatever related goodies I enjoy.  PlayStation is my favorite gaming brand and accordingly, I have more PlayStation goods than any other brand.  I don't feel the need to reach some arbitrary number or have every game for a platform.  Putting together all the Squaresoft and Enix (back when they were separate companies) games for the original PlayStation was a huge accomplishment. 

I am quite serious about condition and completeness for the games I collect.  There are some games in my collection as I suspect are in many people's that are "filler" titles.  Not necessarily to reach a predetermined number, but sometimes you pick up a ratty copy of a game or a Greatest Hits copy that is something you want, but not the particular version you want.  I usually replace those games as I go when I find them. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

sworddude

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 12:16:47 pm »
At what point do you think someone has a serious game collection when it comes to a single system?

Lets say someone has a super nintendo and collects games and memorabilia. At what point is a collection serious...100, 200, 300 or 400+ games and a couple action figures?

I'd say maybe 30+ CIB games, with all the extra papers and promos included, everything in good condition. I'd consider that a serious collection. Because it's much harder, there's a lot more money involved, and lot more time spent and a lot of attention to detail. This is all speaking on the collecting aspect purely, and is not a judgement of what games, or how many games. Just how "serious" the person is about collecting/cataloging games.

Personally, I mixed standards, lazy habits, little focus, and I'm very selective. So I don't really consider my games to be a proper or serious collection. It's just my library of games, I guess. Stuff that I like, and stuff that I don't like is excluded.

I disagree.

Since some guy can buy a random lot of 30+ cib games not for collecting purposes but to relive his childhood and sell it on since he just wanted to play.

While collectors who take the time and even after allot of effort still only have 20 cib games the true collectors.

Serious collectors are not about quality or quantity, collection can be put together with or without serious effort and hunting for games is not a must.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 01:43:45 pm »
At what point do you think someone has a serious game collection when it comes to a single system?

Lets say someone has a super nintendo and collects games and memorabilia. At what point is a collection serious...100, 200, 300 or 400+ games and a couple action figures?

I'd say maybe 30+ CIB games, with all the extra papers and promos included, everything in good condition. I'd consider that a serious collection. Because it's much harder, there's a lot more money involved, and lot more time spent and a lot of attention to detail. This is all speaking on the collecting aspect purely, and is not a judgement of what games, or how many games. Just how "serious" the person is about collecting/cataloging games.

Personally, I mixed standards, lazy habits, little focus, and I'm very selective. So I don't really consider my games to be a proper or serious collection. It's just my library of games, I guess. Stuff that I like, and stuff that I don't like is excluded.

I disagree.

Since some guy can buy a random lot of 30+ cib games not for collecting purposes but to relive his childhood and sell it on since he just wanted to play.

While collectors who take the time and even after allot of effort still only have 20 cib games the true collectors.

Serious collectors are not about quality or quantity, collection can be put together with or without serious effort and hunting for games is not a must.

Who knows. I think people who are very into the collecting aspect and who try to obtain games A-Z complete, in good condition, perhaps even VGA graded are the serial ones about collecting, not about the games, but just about collecting. I don't consider myself a serious collector because I don't follow the protocol. For example if I were into coins I wouldn't just hunt down certain years, and be content to have all sorts of gummed up ones and say that I was serious about coin collecting.

According to some I'm a collector, because I never get rid of things. Although I'm probably more of a hoarder than a collector, as I keep things I don't need, and I buy things I don't need. Not of any desire to fill in a space on a shelf, but more an obsessive compulsive thing, then I never get rid of it because reasons. There really isn't much thrill left in the hunt for me, I kind of hate it. I want to be "finished" hunting or obtaining more games.

Maybe denial ain't just a river, but I struggle to find the term fitting for me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:45:27 pm by Warmsignal »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 01:54:31 pm »
I would consider myself a serious collector, but I'm not falling under what a lot of you are considering a serious collector. I don't have to have everything complete and minty, and I'm not aiming to get every game for a certain system. I'm just looking to build a personal library of stuff that I like or want to play.

However I do have a LOT more games and systems than your average gamer. Most people that enter my man-cave are amazed by my collection. I think if the average person sees your collection and is wowed by it, you're a serious collector.

gf78

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 02:30:43 pm »
According to some I'm a collector, because I never get rid of things. Although I'm probably more of a hoarder than a collector, as I keep things I don't need, and I buy things I don't need. Not of any desire to fill in a space on a shelf, but more an obsessive compulsive thing, then I never get rid of it because reasons. There really isn't much thrill left in the hunt for me, I kind of hate it. I want to be "finished" hunting or obtaining more games.

Maybe denial ain't just a river, but I struggle to find the term fitting for me.

I feel your pain.  I have obsessively collected things since I was nearly a baby.  My mom to this day still talks about how I had a toy box full of bottles.  Yeah...I collected bottles.  All kinds.  My favorite kind was the little glass ones.  I moved on to comics and toys and games. 

I have successfully diverted my attention away from game hunting and right now, I'm just picking up odds & ends of Star Wars stuff.  Y'know...since the new movie came out and cranked my inner geek up to 11. 

I hate being ruled by a compulsion to buy things, keep things or have to have every single "thing" in a given category.  It's mentally exhausting and debilitating.  I've relentlessly pursued games for the past two years without break and I'm worn down.  So now I'm sitting back and enjoying the games I own with my two girls.  I've cancelled most of my preorders with only Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 and Uncharted 4 still in the running for games I am definitely buying.  Screw the annual releases like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed that I continue to buy just because "Hell, I already own the other fifty versions & releases, gotta get this one too!" mentality. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:32:57 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 03:16:48 pm »

I couldn't resist.

sworddude

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 03:18:34 pm »

I disagree.

Who knows. I think people who are very into the collecting aspect and who try to obtain games A-Z complete, in good condition, perhaps even VGA graded are the serial ones about collecting, not about the games, but just about collecting. I don't consider myself a serious collector because I don't follow the protocol. For example if I were into coins I wouldn't just hunt down certain years, and be content to have all sorts of gummed up ones and say that I was serious about coin collecting.

I consider myself to be a serious collector nowadays but in the past I was a beginning hoarder, I collected everything (comics, metal cars stones beer caps plastic ornaments etc etc) but I decided to throw everything away and only keep what I truly wanted thanks to game collecting since I realised that allot of stuff is junk in my eyes wich I am glad of that I finally have seen the light!

For example If I would compare cool games like fire emblem and smash bros with stuff like beer caps etc it's junk why did I collect it? Only some pieces are not junk in my eyes so in the end I did keep some metal cars and comics but only the ones that truly mattered and were awesome looking to me as for the other stuff all gone.

My collection might not be to big but that's mainly because I only collect games that are worth playing or that just give a nice appeal to me.

If I collected everything my collection would be 6 times bigger at the very least than it is since I just pass on allot of games in the deals I make, I do not collect filler titles they do not look nice on the shelves and they just take up allot of space since filler titles are pretty much 85% or more of the total for most consoles. Furthermore they give me the same feeling to me as the other junk I collected in the past.

I also only collect stuff for the right price I hunt for deals buy huge lots to keep the stuff that I want.

I do only collect cib stuff. I also keep spare cardridges of games (extra's) but I do not consider those to be part of my collection but they do come in handy and are still nice to have.

The games that I buy do not have to be mint since that is a pretty much an impossible task but I settle with excellent upwards condition wich is quite a challenge for cardboard released games.

Condition is always a challenge but I have to keep myself to that so I passed out on allot of great cib games in the past due to condition issues.

I also only collect first releases black label etc since I do not like platinum and greatest hits releases at all. They look really bad and are never an option for me to keep even if I do not have the game.

The only players choice release I have is my original copy of super smash melee wich I had as a kid.

I also collect different variant of good games with different art etc.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:26:36 pm by sworddude »

Warmsignal

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 12:00:58 am »
  Condition is always a challenge but I have to keep myself to that so I passed out on allot of great cib games in the past due to condition issues.

Yeah, I mean it sucks when something nice is all beat up, but I wouldn't pass out over it! :P

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 08:05:50 am »

Yeah, I mean it sucks when something nice is all beat up, but I wouldn't pass out over it! :P

I would and I just sell it on and maybe next time I come across it again. and o well in most of the cases I get the other stuff for even cheaper thanks to that so I can't complain as an extra my entire collection looks nice since I have high condition standards.

There are plenty of people who indeed find good condition or sometimes even fair condition to be plenty I personally cannot accept that.

90snostalga

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 03:09:19 pm »
I'd say a serious collector is someone that takes this seriously. It's someone who devotes a lot of time and energy to their collection.
I don't think it's defined by what they collect. You can still be a serious collector and go after loose carts.

I second this

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 03:24:07 pm »
I don't think the number (or even perceived quality) of the collection matters as much as the passion of the collector.

Someone with a NES and 5 games they love could be a way more passionate collector than someone that has every console and every game but isn't really attached to them.

My collection is pretty modest compared to others on here (I'll break 800 items by the end of today).

I'm attached to most of it. Less than 5% is what I would consider to be "filler" for the sake of hitting a number

These are games I have played or will play.

This for sure.  Numbers matter nothing.  A collection is never really finished if you ask me. 

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 08:57:47 am »
when your collection takes over an entire room is a good way to tell your a serious collector lol

It don't matter if you collect loose or Complete.
If you have love and passion in your hobby and love not only the games, but the art, the history and the hunt for adding new games to your collection. Then in my books your a serious collector.

Every collector is different. Some only collect one brand. Like only Nintendo or Sega. Others only want to collect what they think they want to play. Some are anal retentive and must have all their games brand new in the box sometimes sealed. While others just want a copy of the game to play and it could be loose and look like crap.

To me a serious collector just has to have a love of what they collect, they don't care if it is worth $1 or $1000, to a serous collector its not about what is valuable its about what they love. If anyone here is collecting video games as a investment your in it for the wrong reasons. Most collectors I know are about the hunt for deals and not paying stupid prices, its part of the fun trying to get deals. I love garage sales not just for the deals but because I never know what I'll find and bring home. Its part of the fun.

Everyone on this forum is a serious collector of some kind, you wouldn't be cataloging your collection and wanting to talk to others who enjoy your passion if you weren't. While there's different levels of collector's, we are all serious in our love for old and new games.  ;)

I agree. It's all about the joy of the hunt. The numbers will come if you continue to search and grow your collection. You're serious when you go out of your way (garage sale, flea market, ebay) to find a new gem to add to the collection.