Author Topic: SNES vs Genesis  (Read 24626 times)

sworddude

Re: SNES vs Genesis
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2016, 04:20:48 pm »
Wow. You're a class act, aren't you?

I think he blew a gasket and quit posting.  I really wasn't angry whatsoever.  I was sitting here at work, bored and typing replies.  Some people just take these things too seriously.   :P

I just quit posting since all people talk about is the sonic games and the crappy games sega makes nowadays.

Sonic games on the sega are fun but they are not the games I come for when playing sega.

I also find it hard to compare sonic to mario since the difference is to big. Sonic games are pretty mediocre while mario games are really great games. You cannot compare sonic to mario games even though sonic is a mascot.

Same goes for comparing mario to crash bandicoot. Mario games are just way better.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2016, 04:36:04 pm »

I think he blew a gasket and quit posting.  I really wasn't angry whatsoever.  I was sitting here at work, bored and typing replies.  Some people just take these things too seriously.   :P

I just quit posting since all people talk about is the sonic games and the crappy games sega makes nowadays.

Sonic games on the sega are fun but they are not the games I come for when playing sega.

I also find it hard to compare sonic to mario since the difference is to big. Sonic games are pretty mediocre while mario games are really great games. You cannot compare sonic to mario games even though sonic is a mascot.

Same goes for comparing mario to crash bandicoot. Mario games are just way better.

Sure, but they are obvious comparisons to make since they were meant to be direct competitors and important enough to discuss when we are having talk of SNES vs Genesis.  Especially so when a quick look at the Genesis shows that apparently of the top 10 Genesis games sold, Sonic takes up 4 slots of that.

kashell

« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2016, 04:54:54 pm »
You actually enjoyed The 7th Saga? I never thought I would see the day that someone found something fun with that game.

I can be a bit of a masochist sometimes.

I can tell. If you had Lux in your party, then most of the time the game was manageable. Otherwise, things were just insanely difficult. I remember starting the game with Wilme and getting decimated after the first town. I was like, "This is nothing like Breath of Fire!!"

Oh, I know you weren't trolling. ^^

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2016, 05:00:20 pm »
I agree on the SNES being better...But Sonic isn't fun anymore...whhhaaa??

Sonic isn't fun. 
Genesis had a few good games, but the SNES had 10x the number of good games. 

Just to gauge popularity, how many Genesis games are over $75?  Now, how many SNES games are over $75?  There's a good indicator of staying power.

sworddude

« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2016, 05:00:31 pm »

Sure, but they are obvious comparisons to make since they were meant to be direct competitors and important enough to discuss when we are having talk of SNES vs Genesis.  Especially so when a quick look at the Genesis shows that apparently of the top 10 Genesis games sold, Sonic takes up 4 slots of that.

Very true however this thread is about genesis vs snes wich is the better system not about sales etc.

Best selling videogames are not always the best games a system has to offer.

I don't see chrono trigger in the top 10 snes sales wich is one of the best snes games, I also doubt that many people had or even heard about those games back in the day.

There is a reason why it is so expensive wich is expected thanks to the limited sales even though the game is excellent.

Would say the same thing about super metroid wich had better sales.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:05:11 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2016, 05:09:00 pm »
Everyone has heard of Chrono Trigger, whether it was back when it was first released on the SNES or nowadays. If not, then they're not gamers.

« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2016, 05:12:14 pm »

Very true however this thread is about genesis vs snes wich is the better system not about sales etc.

Best selling videogames are not always the best games a system has to offer.

I don't see chrono trigger in the top 10 snes sales wich is one of the best snes games, I also doubt that many people had or even heard about those games back in the day.

There is a reason why they it is so expensive wich is expected thanks to the limited sales even though the game is excellent.

Would say the same thing about super metroid wich had better sales.

It didn't sell as big in North America, but in Japan, it sold millions and was the third biggest selling game of 1995.  Kinda surprised it did under a million here in the USA, which does explain its cost.

But I wasn't really using the sales of Sonic to say anything about which was better, just that in comparison, Sonic pretty much has to be brought up in a versus between the two systems simply because it was marketed as a direct competitor to Mario and very clearly was some of the biggest draw the system had when all off Sonics major releases featured prominently in sales.  Not having Sonic speaking of the Genesis is like not having Mario when speaking of the SNES lol

Everyone has heard of Chrono Trigger, whether it was back when it was first released on the SNES or nowadays. If not, then they're not gamers.

Nowadays sure, but I just did a quick look and while it was critically well received, it didn't sell a lot on the SNES here.

kashell

« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2016, 05:18:21 pm »
Right on. But, what I'm saying is that when it was first released, it was the latest "big thing" to get. I didn't get it when it was first released because of the price.

That, or I was fortunate enough to live in a place where everyone had CT on the brain.

« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2016, 05:26:00 pm »
Right on. But, what I'm saying is that when it was first released, it was the latest "big thing" to get. I didn't get it when it was first released because of the price.

That, or I was fortunate enough to live in a place where everyone had CT on the brain.

Maybe where you were living, but according to wiki, it didn't even make close to a half million in sales, which is fairly low, especially when you compare it to Japan, which sold over 2 million copies.  Of that year, Donkey Kong Country 2 sold over 2 million copies in North America in comparison.

sin2beta

« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2016, 05:33:57 pm »
It is possible. It is hard, if not impossible, to find out when Nintendo and SEGA were aware of government interest in video game violence. From what I understand from many accounts, Nintendo and SEGA were both tipped off about the future hearings from a toy industry contact with a decent heads up before everything got started. I suspect this is 1993 (well into a year after the scopes were introduced)

Key Dates
Super Scope - February 92
SEGA Video Game Rating - June 93 (first sign that SEGA knew something. Would be implemented quickly.)
Congressional hearing - Dec 9 1993
Release of Doom - Dec 10 1993 (I love this date. One day after the hearing)

My suspicion is that the bazooka is just the next step from the light gun design and followed the current trend in the arcades the year before. It is the "super" version. You also had a move in the arcades to bigger guns such as the T2 arcade game in 91. In the early 90s bazookas and machine guns were cool in America. And light guns were marketed toward Americans. You also saw a return to traditional guns in consoles in the mid 90s when arcades mimicked those with point blank, virtue cop, etc.. I imagine it just followed the arcades.

I could buy into this analysis. By the way I love your Sega Ages videos on YouTube.

Thanks for the kind words.

Also, just to be clear and provide credit, I can totally buy into your earlier analysis as well. It's tough to know for sure. After all, if Nintendo/SEGA are trying to market something carefully, they aren't going to be bringing attention to it until they have to. We also saw a change in the NES zapper earlier...
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

Warmsignal

« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2016, 05:35:00 pm »
Now add in the Nintendo-made classics.  Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, Earthbound, F-Zero, Kirby, Punch-Out, Tetris, Yoshi...all the various entries in these iconic franchises.

Pretty much this is what SNES was for me, and Faceball 2000. lol

Mix in some of the best in their respective series titles and the definitive editions of games like Super R-Type, Super Castlevania IV, Contra III, Super Ghouls & Ghosts, Earthworm Jim and three Super Star Wars titles. 

All that and you have the best system of the 16-bit era.

You've got to credit the Genesis though for having many highly regarded shoot-em-ups. That system has soooo many shoot-em-ups. Ironically, my favorite one from back in the day is Gradius III (which was an SNES game). ;D

It seems by SNES, Nintendo had cemented an audience for their franchises, Sega kinda failed to do that with Master System, I believe in part thanks to Nintendo's shady monopoly on the industry. With Genesis's success I think Sega was attempting to establish some solid IPs, but wasn't able to grab the attention away from those anticipating the next Mario or Zelda. A lot of first party Sega games on Genesis (aside from Sonic) were almost ignored in comparison to Nintendo. I don't know, I guess Genesis was assumed to be the sports game system, that didn't have anything like what Nintendo had, but that really wasn't true. Aside from RPGs, well it did have RPGs, but never gained much traction with them. The most notable being Phantasy Star (Sega's Final Fantasy) and Beyond Oasis (Sega's Legend of Zelda).

Just to gauge popularity, how many Genesis games are over $75?  Now, how many SNES games are over $75?  There's a good indicator of staying power.

I don't think that's a good way to gauge popularity of the game itself. How many obscure NA soccer games on SNES are over $100? Either soccer games are the bees knees on SNES, or Nintendo collector's be crazy. I think they be out of their mind, personally. A lot of people collect just to collect on the system.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:39:09 pm by Warmsignal »

Warmsignal

« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2016, 05:56:51 pm »

I first heard of Chrono Trigger when it came out on the DS, lol. Probably the only RPG on SNES I knew about back in the day was SMRPG and I had no idea what to make of that game. Back then, the only way we knew about games was by going to the store or the rental place and looking at the covers and the screen shots. Didn't have Nintendo Power, or anything like that. We rented SMRPG once thinking it would be like other Mario games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2016, 08:38:16 pm »
^ Must not have read gaming magazines back then. I remember Chrono Trigger being really hyped in the magazines. Full multi-page articles dedicated to it. Double-page spread ads for it. Always bragging about all these special new graphics techniques that would be getting used for the first time ever.

kashell

« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2016, 10:18:23 am »
^ Must not have read gaming magazines back then. I remember Chrono Trigger being really hyped in the magazines. Full multi-page articles dedicated to it. Double-page spread ads for it. Always bragging about all these special new graphics techniques that would be getting used for the first time ever.

That must be it; not everyone probably read game magazines back in those days. Chrono Trigger was everywhere in all of the magazines I read. Then, a friend of mine got it and showed it to a bunch of us.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

gf78

« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2016, 10:55:00 am »

That must be it; not everyone probably read game magazines back in those days. Chrono Trigger was everywhere in all of the magazines I read. Then, a friend of mine got it and showed it to a bunch of us.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

I remember the adds in old EGM issues as well as various comic books I collected back then.  Not to mention the commercials I...previously mentioned. 

Sega might have done what "Nintendont", but I think most of that was coughing up the dust that Nintendo kicked up in their faces.   ;D :P
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us