Author Topic: Factory Sealed Game Gear  (Read 2037 times)

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

Re: Factory Sealed Game Gear
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 11:07:31 pm »
Thanks for the link!
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 11:54:45 pm »
there is place where for 1-2 dollars more they sell a universal cap kit. They give you enough of the right kind to fix any model completely once (including power caps. But that's really not necessary.)

Still trying to dig it up. It was a great deal.

Also there is a site that points out which are the caps that power the screen.

What's good about that is if you did have a GG with a washed out screen you could find out 6 caps in whether or not is salvageable before using up all the other caps. :)

I'll dig up these links in the next few days and post them here.

Mostly so I don't forget about them again myself. :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 11:56:45 pm by dashv »

thecrypticodor

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 01:05:57 am »

Also there is a site that points out which are the caps that power the screen.

What's good about that is if you did have a GG with a washed out screen you could find out 6 caps in whether or not is salvageable before using up all the other caps. :)

The 2110 models of the Game Gear use the VA1 mother board and the silkscreened numbering is different between the single and twin ASIC versions. On the single ASIC it's C54 and C55 on the twin ASIC it's C44 and C45. Those are the ones that take out the image when they fail. They are originally 0.47uf at 50v but their value isn't critical. I've used ceramic disc caps and tantalums with values as low as 0.1uf that worked just fine and are a lot easier to fit into the housing. So anything between 0.1uf and 0.47uf at 50V is will work.

The 100uf and 6.8uf next to the LCD effect the brightness and contrast. The 68uf can be substituted with a 100uf. The rest on the main board are mostly for power filtering.

If you order your caps from a parts supplier like mouser or digikey you can get most if not all of the values you need in tantalum packages. Which are a bit more expensive than other types of caps but are extremely small and way easier to get to fit into the clearance of the game Game Gear's housing.

Here's a reference that gives all cap values for every motherboard revision. http://console5.com/wiki/Game_Gear
Also note that the 2110 uses the VA1 the 2110k uses the Va4 and the 2110g and Majesco version use the VA5
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 01:23:51 am by thecrypticodor »