Author Topic: VGCollect - Now available on your Android phone!  (Read 9141 times)

matt

VGCollect - Now available on your Android phone!
« on: March 06, 2011, 07:21:55 pm »

You can now manage your video game collection directly on your Android phone. VGCollect BETA is now available in the Android Marketplace!

Click the following link or search for "vgcollect" in the Marketplace.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.kris.vgcollect

Since this is just a BETA release please note that you will find bugs and missing features. Please let me know if you have any issues.

Features:

• View your collection

• Search the VGCollect game database

• View game details and box art

• Add to your collection

You can expect updates almost daily as I have many features to add/fix.

scott

Re: VGCollect - Now available on your Android phone!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:09:11 pm »
Yay!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

atariboy

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:31:15 am »
Downloaded and even left a review. I'm liking it.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 05:49:47 pm »
Some kind of bug between viewing the Xbox Live Arcade and ALL of my collection where it forces my Android App to crash and requires a force close. Current collection exceeds 300 items

scott

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:25:59 pm »
My collection is over 600 and I've not had that issue. Though, I have had it force close if I loaded it up again after I "exited" via the home button.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:23:34 pm »
more than likely one of your games in your list has a character/font the android app doesn't like...

probably ZeitĀ²

remove it from your collection and see if the app still crashes.

matt

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 11:01:11 pm »
more than likely one of your games in your list has a character/font the android app doesn't like...

probably ZeitĀ²

remove it from your collection and see if the app still crashes.

This is probably the case. I'll address this in the update that is coming...someday. :)

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 08:25:14 pm »
Is it planned to have barcode scanning in an update? I've been slow to getting my entire collection included, but being able to quickly scan through it on my phone would be awesome.

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 01:56:57 am »
Is it planned to have barcode scanning in an update? I've been slow to getting my entire collection included, but being able to quickly scan through it on my phone would be awesome.

That's such a brilliant idea!  Makes sense since we include the barcode in the item record...  Would be way easier to fill up our collection instead of typing in each name or going through the ever-growing "browse" lists...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

matt

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 02:17:27 pm »
This was definitely the idea I had when starting to store barcodes. As you can see, updates to the Android app are rolling out way slower than I expected but it is still on the radar.

ziondood

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 10:36:32 am »
Any plans to release this for iOS?
One of my buddies just told me how he got a tablet for christmas and downloaded an app on there for your site!
I'm missing out big time with my iphone :/
There is a collection app on there but your app blows it out of the water!
Please bring it over :D

scott

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 11:56:47 am »
We would love to have the app out for ios. The main issue we have right now is neither matt or myself are Mac users and I guess you can't build iPhone apps without a Mac computer. Boo.

darko

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 12:11:18 pm »
We would love to have the app out for ios. The main issue we have right now is neither matt or myself are Mac users and I guess you can't build iPhone apps without a Mac computer. Boo.

I have a mac :) The only problem is...I have an extremely crude (barely fundamental) understanding of how to build an app. If it's more or less dragging in code and popping it into an apple developer tool then I might be able to help you out.

Iphone apps are written in Objective-C, I know that much. I think getting it through to the app store would be the biggest hurdle. Even if you had it complete it would have to be accepted by apple to be posted in the store. If it wasn't, you'd have to use other means to get it out which would require a jailbroken iphone, alternative app store, etc.

Pretty sure you can use Flash somehow to make iphone apps on a PC but I've never messed with it. I'd be willing to bet it's a waste of time.

scott

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 12:46:19 pm »

I have a mac :) The only problem is...I have an extremely crude (barely fundamental) understanding of how to build an app.

I did some reading up on it. My brain melted... My code experience deals with HTML anything other than that I can't wrap my head around it. I was going to help matt code the Android app at one point but again, head explosions.

matt

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 12:46:31 pm »
There are other way to do it but using Objective-C and the native dev tools are the way to go for sure. I doubt it'd be a crazy difficult app to build especially since I already have the api (which powers the android app) in place. I'm sure someone with entry level coding skills could pull something together. If anyone out there is interested, please let me know and we can work together.