Author Topic: Is it possible to use a PAL game on an NTSC Sega Master system? If not, what would it take?  (Read 6918 times)

soera

Ive been looking for a few games for my sms for years. Golden Axe Warrior and Ultima IV. I almost never see them for sale and then, when I finally find one, its PAL version. Problem is I cant ever find a PAL sms for sale. :| What would be involved in making mine play the games?

jobocan

SMS games are region-free.

foxhack

Not exactly.

They may work. But if the game relies on PAL timings then it might just not work. Check online before buying the game.

darko

@soera

I have the SMS/Genesis adapter. Get one of the games and we can test it out on the adapter next weekend.

soera

I can try that. If nothing else, I know I can resell the game if it doesnt work ... or eventually catch a PAL sms on ebay.

forte

Edit: NM this is for SMS not MD

foxhack

If you buy a PAL SMS, then you have to deal with different voltages, and it won't work on most NTSC TVs without a converter... it's not worth all that hassle.

soera

Ugh, seriously? I wish I had known this earlier. I already found one and bought it and its on its way here. What a huge pain in the ass.

darko

If it works on my converter then you can just get one of those.

soera

Ill let you know when it finally arrives. :)

amauriel

Guys, would something like this work? If I'm reading it right, it would convert PAL or NTFS to VGA, so could be hooked up on newer TVs and computer monitors.

http://hyperkin.com/retro-gaming/vga-multi-input-av-box.html
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

soera

Well, if I had done some more research before I bought it, I wouldnt have had to even ask. Looked at the game on Amazon and in big print it mentions "Will play on NTSC systems regardless". Game arrived and is really nice. :D

Very few SMS use PAL timings so you should be good with almost anything you buy.

Here is the list of games with known compatibility issues on a NTSC SMS.

Addams Family
AlienĀ³
Back to the Future II
Back to the Future III
Bart vs. the Space Mutants
Codemasters Games - All of them
Desert Strike
James Bond 007: The Duel
Jungle Book
Home Alone
Newzealand Story
Operation Wolf
Pit Fighter
Predator
Prince of Persia
Robocop 3
Taito Chase HQ
Tectoy Games - All of them
Xenon 2
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:49:30 pm by pceslayer »

soera

Im actually still looking for another game. Golden Axe Warrior. I figure Ill probably buy the PAL version of it too.

None of the games you listed I have any interest in. :P

Might as well save a ton of $ since there is no difference between the PAL version and the US version of Golden Axe Warrior. The US version just has a sticker barcode on the back... Same with Sonic, Spiderman and Strider.