Author Topic: Does anyone own any super rare games  (Read 15700 times)

Re: Does anyone own any super rare games
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 02:30:51 pm »
I have plenty of expensive games that can be found on ebay with ease for bargain prices but my rarest game is probably an excellent condition complete in box copy of megaman xtreme 1 and yes the manual is in the box if anyone wants pictures for proof I just keep my cardridges seperate so I can play them without damaging the box.

That is quite the run-on sentence.

I guess my "super rare" stuff includes the majority of my Saturn collection, Rule of Rose for the PS2 and Strider 2 for the PlayStation. *shrug* I dunno, I consider everything I own somewhat rare because I would be sad if something happened to it. ;__;

I know you have at least one thing that just about everyone on here would love to own.  It had a really low print run.

If your talking about rules of rose.

I am one of those people who does not want to own this game

I'm not necessarily a rare game collector nor do I collect horror games.

Just one of those genres I do not collect for. Not a big fan of horror games unlike many others on this forum.
He's probably referring to Panzer Dragoon Saga, actually.

kashell

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 02:39:11 pm »
I left my sworddude to English dictionary at home so...

Say what now?
I think what he is saying is... The original topic is about rare games, as in games you don't see on ebay and such regularly.

Most people are referring to expensive games that you can buy any time any day on ebay, which isn't what the topic was created about.

Aaahh, gotcha.
I always keep my dictionary handy.

I can't help but to wonder...is there anything actually that rare nowadays? With Amazon and eBay, it's super easy to find just about anything.

rayne315

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2016, 03:34:29 pm »

Say what now?
I think what he is saying is... The original topic is about rare games, as in games you don't see on ebay and such regularly.

Most people are referring to expensive games that you can buy any time any day on ebay, which isn't what the topic was created about.

Aaahh, gotcha.

I can't help but to wonder...is there anything actually that rare nowadays? With Amazon and eBay, it's super easy to find just about anything.

Just about the only system I can think of that will have ANY releases that qualify as so rare you cant find them on e-bay would be the Atari. This is because It has been known that their were releases for it that were such region specific that you could only buy them in one town/store location, or that sold so poorly that their are only a few hundred that were ever sold. In fact their are a few examples of collectors as a whole thinking that a game never actually released because they could find no actual proof until one or 2 were found.

I have actually been talking to a guy for a few months now trying to get the Chalice of Light. Which is literally THE holy grail of all video game memorabilia. but If we do work out something It will cost me a LOT of money, and I will have to sell the largest majority of my collection.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 03:48:37 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

sworddude

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2016, 04:13:22 am »

Say what now?

Aaahh, gotcha.

Just about the only system I can think of that will have ANY releases that qualify as so rare you cant find them on e-bay would be the Atari. This is because It has been known that their were releases for it that were such region specific that you could only buy them in one town/store location, or that sold so poorly that their are only a few hundred that were ever sold. In fact their are a few examples of collectors as a whole thinking that a game never actually released because they could find no actual proof until one or 2 were found.

I have actually been talking to a guy for a few months now trying to get the Chalice of Light. Which is literally THE holy grail of all video game memorabilia. but If we do work out something It will cost me a LOT of money, and I will have to sell the largest majority of my collection.

That's not true since even those things will probably sell on ebay if they are for sale. If a collector dies with a one of a kind game I'm pretty sure it will be sold on ebay. It can take a long time to get certain games as a collector.

Rare games will only appear a few times a year on ebay and are difficult to find. Some games might only even appear once every 5 years or maybe more (in some cases never again). Those can be considered truly rare games.

Also for complete in box games, certain games are pretty much impossible to find complete in the box and do not appear on ebay. Some cib games can be considered rare since they are impossible to find on ebay even though the cardridges are really easy to find.

If you for example look for a cib pal european version megaman xtreme 1 or megaman xtreme 2 you will have a really hard time since those games pretty much never appear on ebay as complete in box copies.

Even if you try hard you will not find it since it is pretty much never available those can be considered rare.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:26:15 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 09:04:08 am »
I like how he is implying that his "PAL" CIB Megaman Xtreme is more rare than a one of a kind chalice (made of gold and platinum and expensive jewels) that to public knowledge has never changed hands from the original owner... of over 30 years.

Also, just to throw this out there, there is no such thing as a PAL Gameboy game, PAL and NTSC refer to televisions, not regions, and therefore don't apply to handheld games.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:04:51 am by ctracy87 »

kashell

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 09:20:01 am »
I like how he is implying that his "PAL" CIB Megaman Xtreme is more rare than a one of a kind chalice (made of gold and platinum and expensive jewels) that to public knowledge has never changed hands from the original owner.

Also, just to throw this out there, there is no such thing as a PAL Gameboy game, PAL and NTSC refer to televisions, not regions, and therefore don't apply to handheld games.

Can someone get the aloe? Because that was a burn!

Warmsignal

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2016, 11:39:19 am »
I think that always being on eBay or Amazon doesn't necessary mean that the item is not rare. That's just a marketplace through which rare items can be exchanged by anyone from anywhere. Try to go out on the town and find a "rare" game, or the next town over, or the next town over. It won't happen, because it's rare. A lot of games are pretty rare. If your local retro shop only has one copy, or often times has none. It's probably a rare item technically speaking.

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2016, 11:44:28 am »
I think that always being on eBay or Amazon doesn't necessary mean that the item is not rare. That's just a marketplace through which rare items can be exchanged by anyone from anywhere. Try to go out on the town and find a "rare" game, or the next town over, or the next town over. It won't happen, because it's rare. A lot of games are pretty rare. If your local retro shop only has one copy, or often times has none. It's probably a rare item technically speaking.
I never see James Bond Jr., is that game rare?

sworddude

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2016, 12:22:09 pm »
I like how he is implying that his "PAL" CIB Megaman Xtreme is more rare than a one of a kind chalice (made of gold and platinum and expensive jewels) that to public knowledge has never changed hands from the original owner... of over 30 years.

Also, just to throw this out there, there is no such thing as a PAL Gameboy game, PAL and NTSC refer to televisions signals, not regions, and therefore don't apply to handheld games.

Ofcourse not. It's rare but not ultra rare never implied that it is more rare than a one of a kind item. However if you think it is common than prove it to me by finding a cib european listing of this game. Even in bad condition you will not find one.

Besides allot of collectors use the word pal for european released games for handhelds and for consoles. Ofcourse pal also stands for the televisions in the different regions but in collecting aspects people use the word pal or ntc for games wich includes gameboy games.

Also if this does not apply for gameboy games as you, than why do people actually use the word pal to say that the game is from europe? Especially for collectors pretty important to know since in allot of cases the Pal version has more value aside from collectors who want their region version of a game.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Megaman-Battle-Network-2-II-Gameboy-Advance-GBA-DS-PAL-UK-Complete-Boxed-/281891195697?hash=item41a2064b31:g:nW8AAOSwSHZWeBDC
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:35:51 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2016, 12:35:39 pm »
^ But Game Boys are region-free...so why pay more for a European copy when a U.S. copy will do just as good, and is still in full English?

sworddude

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 12:44:17 pm »
^ But Game Boys are region-free...so why pay more for a European copy when a U.S. copy will do just as good, and is still in full English?

For collecting purposes and preferences gameplay wise the same, the boxes and manuals are slightly different though. Some people don't care about the region and some actually do collect for certain regions It's mainly a collectors thing, however if were going that road than why not use a flash card? Cheaper but same quality game on the original console.

Pretty bad comparison for a box and manual, than you could also tell a cib collector to buy lose cardridges since the box and manual do nothing for the gameplay at all. Saves allot of money and you can do the same things. Or maybe advice them to buy repro boxes and manuals way cheaper than the original. Why not buy a fake box and manual, looks just as nice on the shelves as an original.

There are plenty of collectors who pay more for their own region It's a cib collectors thing. Many collectors choose the cheaper option or even go for japanese versions. However For the stuff that goes for big money there is actually only a pretty small group in the collecting world since most people do not want to pay those prices.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:59:31 pm by sworddude »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2016, 01:05:04 pm »

In my experience, games vary in rarity from region to region. I can't find a copy of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's not rare, but I've seen more copies of Stadium Events than Star Trek.

Just because a copy of Little Samson can be bought at any time on eBay, doesn't make it a common game. How many folks can claim they found it in the wild?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:08:25 pm by turf »

kashell

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 01:13:27 pm »

For collecting purposes and preferences gameplay wise the same, the boxes and manuals are slightly different though. Some people don't care about the region and some actually do collect for certain regions It's mainly a collectors thing, however if were going that road than why not use a flash card? Cheaper but same quality game on the original console.

Wait, you're suggesting people that enjoy game collecting should just use a Flash Cart instead of going for a cartridge?

rayne315

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 01:26:24 pm »

In my experience, games vary in rarity from region to region. I can't find a copy of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's not rare, but I've seen more copies of Stadium Events than Star Trek.

Just because a copy of Little Samson can be bought at any time on eBay, doesn't make it a common game. How many folks can claim they found it in the wild?

That is very true but I know of at least one person in my area that did (not personally). The gaming store that I frequent the most had a copy about a year and a half ago. one of the other regulars to the shop noticed it when it was sold and waited till it was priced and placed on the shelf. I saw a picture of it. It had a ripped label where the SA, and part of the M as well as the LI were ripped off and part of the dragons wing. even though it was priced right around e-bay I still wish I would have been their first for it.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2016, 03:24:30 pm »

Pretty bad comparison for a box and manual, than you could also tell a cib collector to buy lose cardridges since the box and manual do nothing for the gameplay at all. Saves allot of money and you can do the same things. Or maybe advice them to buy repro boxes and manuals way cheaper than the original. Why not buy a fake box and manual, looks just as nice on the shelves as an original.

There are plenty of collectors who pay more for their own region It's a cib collectors thing. Many collectors choose the cheaper option or even go for japanese versions. However For the stuff that goes for big money there is actually only a pretty small group in the collecting world since most people do not want to pay those prices.

I have to agree woth sworddude. I also only want pal releases. There are enough American releases going around here (for every region free console). And i also refer to the games as pal or ntsc, also for the gameboy's for the reason sworddude explained, the slight but noticeable differences. And for the gameby games, there are alot of fakes around, and almost all have the American seal.