Author Topic: Does anyone own any super rare games  (Read 15730 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Does anyone own any super rare games
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 07:34:40 pm »
I think that always being on eBay or Amazon doesn't necessary mean that the item is not rare. That's just a marketplace through which rare items can be exchanged by anyone from anywhere. Try to go out on the town and find a "rare" game, or the next town over, or the next town over. It won't happen, because it's rare. A lot of games are pretty rare. If your local retro shop only has one copy, or often times has none. It's probably a rare item technically speaking.
I never see James Bond Jr., is that game rare?

In my experience, games vary in rarity from region to region. I can't find a copy of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's not rare, but I've seen more copies of Stadium Events than Star Trek.

Just because a copy of Little Samson can be bought at any time on eBay, doesn't make it a common game. How many folks can claim they found it in the wild?

This was my point. Availability on eBay doesn't tell how rare or common it is, usually. It's a pool of everyone's findings from near and far and with all things considered, there still aren't very many available. As for James Bond Jr, I can't recall seeing the game anywhere before. Maybe I've overlooked it, but I know it's not something I scan passed a lot when reading labels.

I also believe regional distribution is a factor in a lot of older games. Certain regions didn't have some of the chains that sold video games, which makes me wonder if certain titles had more specific distribution than others. The biggest source of NES games around here in the late 80s would have been Hills, Ames, Kmart, K&K Toys and Circus World. I've even heard that Lowe's sold NES games for a while. I'm not sure when Blockbuster came around these parts. But different areas have different stores with greater or lesser volume, and I doubt that games were evenly distributed back in the day.

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 07:49:00 pm »
I think that always being on eBay or Amazon doesn't necessary mean that the item is not rare. That's just a marketplace through which rare items can be exchanged by anyone from anywhere. Try to go out on the town and find a "rare" game, or the next town over, or the next town over. It won't happen, because it's rare. A lot of games are pretty rare. If your local retro shop only has one copy, or often times has none. It's probably a rare item technically speaking.
I never see James Bond Jr., is that game rare?

In my experience, games vary in rarity from region to region. I can't find a copy of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's not rare, but I've seen more copies of Stadium Events than Star Trek.

Just because a copy of Little Samson can be bought at any time on eBay, doesn't make it a common game. How many folks can claim they found it in the wild?

This was my point. Availability on eBay doesn't tell how rare or common it is, usually. It's a pool of everyone's findings from near and far and with all things considered, there still aren't very many available. As for James Bond Jr, I can't recall seeing the game anywhere before. Maybe I've overlooked it, but I know it's not something I scan passed a lot when reading labels.

I also believe regional distribution is a factor in a lot of older games. Certain regions didn't have some of the chains that sold video games, which makes me wonder if certain titles had more specific distribution than others. The biggest source of NES games around here in the late 80s would have been Hills, Ames, Kmart, K&K Toys and Circus World. I've even heard that Lowe's sold NES games for a while. I'm not sure when Blockbuster came around these parts. But different areas have different stores with greater or lesser volume, and I doubt that games were evenly distributed back in the day.
I had to buy my copy of James bond jr. online.  My NES copy, I don't remember where I got it from, but my SNES copy I had to get online.

Horrible game, but I loved the cartoon as a kid.

topspot123

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 11:34:14 pm »
Well I have a few higher priced games, but nothing crazy expensive.  As for just rare, I mostly have oddball demo or promotional discs that would probably be considered pretty rare. For instance, I'm the only member on this site with the Muramasa: The Demon Blade Demo Disc for the Wii listed in their collection, although there seems to be two listed on ebay right now so maybe it isn't that rare after all.

Some of my favorite parts of my collection aren't necessarily rare individually, but possibly rare to see a complete collection of.  For example, I have the every Official U. S. Playstation magazine demo disc, Official Xbox magazine demo disc, Game Wave game, and Xavix Port game.

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 08:10:00 am »
Well I have a few higher priced games, but nothing crazy expensive.  As for just rare, I mostly have oddball demo or promotional discs that would probably be considered pretty rare. For instance, I'm the only member on this site with the Muramasa: The Demon Blade Demo Disc for the Wii listed in their collection, although there seems to be two listed on ebay right now so maybe it isn't that rare after all.

Some of my favorite parts of my collection aren't necessarily rare individually, but possibly rare to see a complete collection of.  For example, I have the every Official U. S. Playstation magazine demo disc, Official Xbox magazine demo disc, Game Wave game, and Xavix Port game.
I didn't think about that, I know for sure that at one point I went and looked up some of my demo discs and I couldn't find info on them anywhere.

rayne315

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 11:16:01 am »

If I am not mistaken I have a Playstation magazine demo disc that is not on this site currently. im rather lazy when it comes to adding in games and have a pretty big stack of games that aren't categorized/ are variations not listed.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 09:01:00 pm »
My 2 rarest one would be King of Fighters 2003 US version and Matrimelee US version for NeoGeo AES, they don`t show often on Ebay. (Japanese versions are more common).

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

sworddude

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 02:23:45 pm »
My 2 rarest one would be King of Fighters 2003 US version and Matrimelee US version for NeoGeo AES, they don`t show often on Ebay. (Japanese versions are more common).

matrimelee is a pretty awesome 2d fighting game and kof 2003 yet so common on other ports is one of the last neo geo aes games wich makes it way more rare.

Even the japanese versions go for 1000 upwards.

How much does the us version go for these days?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:59:55 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

shfan

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 04:04:23 pm »
It's difficult to guage what is rare, or even on the scale, and what isn't, particularly with officially released console games. Some of the stuff i have which is probably 'rare' is a PS2 promo of Project Zero 3 (Fatal Frame 3), a UK copy of Car Racing Challenge for the PS2 (obscure entry in the Simple 2000 series released in PAL regions and Japan only, obscure even for those releases) and some obscure PS1 PAL releases like Monsterseed and Blockids.

With old computer games it gets more interesting, but I've only fairly recently started collecting so there's little to talk about apart from a few Electron games which won't show up so often on Ebay.

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2016, 04:12:17 pm »

matrimelee is a pretty awesome 2d fighting game and kof 2003 yet so common on other ports is one of the last neo geo aes games wich make it way more rare.

Even the japanese versions go for 1000 upwards.

How much does the us version go for these days?

No idea, I only see the Jap version on Ebay for 800$+, havent seen a US in a long time. Bought mine for 300$ 5 years ago, but came without instruction manual :( . For Matrimelee I bought it when it came out back in 2003 for 200$. Now it worth more than 1000$. Great fighting game with a awesome soundtrack.

I forgot to mention that I also have SVC Chaos US version, one of the last NeoGeo game produce for the system. Not has rare but still hard to find a US version.

The prices of Neogeo AES games are so high now, I simply cannot afford them with the exception of the early Japanese release.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2016, 04:22:34 pm »
If eBay isn't an indicator on how rare a game is, then what is a better way to gauge that? Ebay is a worldwide market with more sellers than anywhere. I would think it was the best indicator out there that we can access.

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2016, 02:42:27 am »
I used to have a nice collection of Neo Geo AES games:

Prices starting getting too high in 2011 and I ended up selling them to help pay for my wedding back then. I used the rest to buy a consolized MVS and still have it to this day.

I also used to have this:

I wish I didn't sell this one either!

tripredacus

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2016, 09:09:49 am »
I used to have the Beast Wars Transmetals N64 boxed, Blockbuster Exclusive, but for the life of me I have no idea what happened to it.

Warmsignal

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2016, 08:15:48 pm »
If eBay isn't an indicator on how rare a game is, then what is a better way to gauge that? Ebay is a worldwide market with more sellers than anywhere. I would think it was the best indicator out there that we can access.

I think just personal gaming hunting experience is better than eBay. Especially if you've spent a lot of years checking flea markets, video games stores, game conventions, etc. I my years of doing that, I know what I see often, what I see less of, and what I rarely ever see. A cataloging website such as VGCollect might also be a good indicator of how common, or rare a game is to have, or a sales data record like VGChartz. There are multiple factors that often give the impression of a game's rarity that often get confused - scarcity, value and demand. I don't really consider a game that's popular to collect, or high in it's admission price, to be rare.

I don't trust eBay, it's been shown before how games can be artificially driven up and hyped by sales prices when someone buys up a bunch of copies and puts them up there for a high price. Plus everyone on there calls every game rare. Rare games, common games, they're always on eBay. Because somewhere, somebody has them to sell.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2016, 08:36:24 am »
http://www.rarityguide.com/

I used to look there for fun  ;D, but it look like the site abandend.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2016, 09:42:05 pm »
http://www.rarityguide.com/

I used to look there for fun  ;D, but it look like the site abandoned.

Crazy how much prices have changed since 2012.  I'll buy every 120 Little Samson I can find!