Author Topic: Sony shuts down Evolution Studios  (Read 1149 times)

Sony shuts down Evolution Studios
« on: March 22, 2016, 11:19:06 am »
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-03-22-sony-confirms-closure-of-evolution-studio

The studio that brought you DriveClub, World Rally Championship, and Motorstorm has been shut down.

I never got to play this game as the PS+ version either never released or I missed it.  I tried to buy it in a sale recently, but the store wouldn't offer their own sale price.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:21:52 am by ctracy87 »

Re: Sony shuts down Evolution Studios
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 06:30:55 am »
They released the PS Plus version, it's no longer available though. The full game has a ton of content.

gf78

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 09:02:46 am »
It's a shame, but I couldn't say I didn't see it coming with the absolutely botched launch of the game.  Everything that could go wrong pretty much did go wrong.  The end product we have today is really great, but the damage was done.  When a primarily online-focused racer has absolutely broken online functionality, you are screwed.  The free PS Plus version was nearly a year late (don't quote me on the timeframe) and was only available for a short time when it finally did limp it's way to the store. 

I'll miss Evolution as I loved DriveClub, the MotorStorm series and the original WRC on the PS2. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 12:31:18 pm »
That's really a shame since Driveclub is a great game, one of the best arcade racers I've played in a long time.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 08:16:44 pm »
It's a shame to see see them close, but to completely honest im not really into racing games to begin with. :l i hope they get positions elsewhere in the company.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 05:36:59 am »
Sony just announced a new studio that's making mobile games.

gf78

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 09:05:00 am »
Sony just announced a new studio that's making mobile games.

I read that.  It's not a big deal though, since Sony has made mobile games for quite some time now.  Several of their franchises have mobile or mini games like LittleBigPlanet, Sly Cooper, etc.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us