Author Topic: Verifying Submissions  (Read 2228 times)

tpugmire

Verifying Submissions
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:41:21 am »
I was just wondering if there is a plan for future submissions to be verified (like an edit is now) before they are added to the database?  I understand the need to get them filled up quickly, but it's getting to the point that we have so many people adding items, and there are a few who aren't checking to see if they are already there before adding, not following the style guide, adding listings that don't make any sense (I've seen at least 2 so far), etc.  It seems to be getting out of hand.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

Re: Verifying Submissions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:10:29 pm »
Ya I noticed this as well. Not sure on a happy medium on solving it though. I guess, it was going to get to this point eventually... maybe there is a way to add a check system to the submission form. That way if a dupe is posted, it searches the database and lets the user know that it's already listed? I guess kinda like when you make an account and it checks to see if a user name is already being used?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:25:47 pm »
Right now I basically have the ability to flip a switch and turn on approvals for all games, but I'm going to hold off on flipping it.

People have two main complaints with tracking sites; 1) the database is lacking 2) it's always a pain in the ass to get submission approved. Right now we are solving these by keeping things wide open. Obviously this takes a bit more moderation but definitely solves the problems albeit creating another. As the database fills up and the holes are plugged this won't become less and less of a problem. The lesser of two evils right now is to keep it open.

The database does contain some junk and I've definitely been slacking on doing my part keeping it cleaned up. I think a real "right now" solution would be to open up a few staff spots to allow a few of you trusted users to manage things for us. I spend 90% of my time on development and can't keep up on everything.

@tpugmire I assume you'd be interested in this. I'll see if I can get it in place tonight.

tpugmire

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 05:16:18 pm »
Yeah, I'd love to help!  The big things that I'd like to be able to do:
Delete listings
Approve edits
Use the merging tool you've been mentioning
And anything else you can think of, but I think those 3 will really help a lot.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:19:07 pm »
> tpugmire
> Yeah, I'd love to help!  The big things that I'd like to be able to do:
Delete listings
Approve edits
Use the merging tool you've been mentioning
And anything else you can think of, but I think those 3 will really help a lot.

and, on top of that. You can be our staff cheerleader!

matt

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:20:29 pm »
@scott you've already got that position on lock down. ha

scott

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:22:00 pm »
Rah rah?

atariboy

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:33:32 am »
I'd be willing to help, just let me know.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw