Author Topic: What is the optimal tempature to store games?  (Read 5871 times)

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

Re: What is the optimal tempature to store games?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 03:32:22 pm »
Wait what?

I've read that as well.  I think it has to do with the whole "don't store your discs horizontally" thing.

Howcome? That the weight of the disc might pressure the system lens when turned off lol.

What can possibly happen when a console is turned off aside from the weight of the disc wich is pretty much nothing?

Well, supposedly storing discs horizontally puts gravitational pressure on it which can warp the disc. 
Alright, you guys are being ridiculous now.

Badges

gf78

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 03:35:29 pm »
Wait what?

I've read that as well.  I think it has to do with the whole "don't store your discs horizontally" thing.

Howcome? That the weight of the disc might pressure the system lens when turned off lol.

What can possibly happen when a console is turned off aside from the weight of the disc wich is pretty much nothing?

Well, supposedly storing discs horizontally puts gravitational pressure on it which can warp the disc. 

LOL...I'm being serious.  It's the same reason they say you should store CD's and DVD's horizontal.  I'm not making it up.  Like I said, I don't worry about it personally and leave my currently playing game disc in the drive.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 03:38:09 pm »
Wouldn't putting the games horizontally eventually take a toll on the games at the bottom? Ruining cases? I don't have the space to put my games horizontally and I think that's an extreme preservation rule. Might as well lock them up in an air tight room.

Badges

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 03:39:07 pm »
As an avid-supporter of marijuana, I can tell you that marijuana smoke does add to the yellowing of white systems. However, it does not leave that lingering, disgusting smell that cigarettes do.

I thought THC was frowned upon by the religious right.  Hmmm....

Haven't seen that in Bible.

sworddude

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 03:42:28 pm »
Wait what?

LOL...I'm being serious.  It's the same reason they say you should store CD's and DVD's horizontal.  I'm not making it up.  Like I said, I don't worry about it personally and leave my currently playing game disc in the drive.

I don't think this applies for newer consoles only for the older generation pre wii era.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:44:38 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

rayne315

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 03:46:01 pm »
anybody knows if the smoke (from cigarettes or weed) may damage the games? like the box etc

It will discolor systems, make covor art yellow/become not as vibrant, and in sufficient quantities cause the case to smell of it (exact same as cigarettes). the main difference between cigarettes and weed is:

the addictive nature of tobacco found in cigarettes causes you to smoke it more often, coupled with more chemicals in cigarettes, leading to quicker damaging results. So weed is still damaging to collections but at a slower rate compared to cigarettes.

any particulate in the air (dust, smoke, moisture) can potentially be damaging which is why air filtration is recommended. for most places though air conditioning/heater air filters is enough. I would just personally recommend either going outside if possible when smoking or going into another room from where you store your games.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 03:50:24 pm »
As an avid-supporter of marijuana, I can tell you that marijuana smoke does add to the yellowing of white systems. However, it does not leave that lingering, disgusting smell that cigarettes do.

I thought THC was frowned upon by the religious right.  Hmmm....

Haven't seen that in Bible.

Most of the religious folks I know frown upon it and local churches run adds against using substances that alter brain chemistry.  The Church of Scientology really looks down on it as they don't believe in even using prescribed medications.  But I was more meaning the political pundits that consider liberals to be dirty, pot smoking hippies.

As for the Bible, some stuff is neglected while other parts are a bit overzealous.  If we followed the Bible verbatim, women would be completely subservient to men and not speak unless spoken to.  1 Corinthians 14:33-35 states: "As in all the churches of the holy one, women should keep silent in the churches, for they are not allowed to speak, but should be subordinate even as the law says. If they want to learn anything, they should ask their husbands at home. For it is improper for a woman to speak in the church."  Women would never be allowed to cut their hair, work outside the home or teach the word of God or even grade school.  The Bible also never singles out people who are gay as sinners, but you hear "religious" folks spouting that nonsense and claiming it's in the Bible.  Along with being overpriced, it's the reason I don't eat at Chick-Fil-A.  Any person, entity or corporation that has a fundamental problem with people being happy isn't for me.  Live and let live. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 03:50:26 pm »
Meh, we'll be replacing cover art maybe 20 years from now anyways. It'll yellow no matter what eventually.

Badges

sworddude

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 03:53:03 pm »
Meh, we'll be replacing cover art maybe 20 years from now anyways. It'll yellow no matter what eventually.

That's not true if that were the case there should not be perfect white cover art to find to begin with.

If you keep it out of direct sunlight and keep it from water it will stay white. Besides even Nes games can still be perfectly white and that's over 20 years.

It's not the same thin paper wich has been used for comic books.

rayne315

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 03:57:45 pm »
Wouldn't putting the games horizontally eventually take a toll on the games at the bottom? Ruining cases? I don't have the space to put my games horizontally and I think that's an extreme preservation rule. Might as well lock them up in an air tight room.

Lol I left the link so you guys could read it yourself but the reasons it listed for not storing them horizonally were:

Large stacks (disc only or cased) can cause instability on the top which if toppled over could cause damage to the disc's/cases.
the bottom disc's/cases also have to carry the load of everything on top of them potentially resulting in warping/compression which overtime can cause small cracks to form resulting in data loss/disc warp/case warp/case failure.

the largest issue being the accidental toppling.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 04:00:13 pm »
There are too many rules. Just seal all your games in a dark air tight room. Don't ever look at them, touch them or play them. Problem solved. Oh, and always buy them sealed. In fact, get them straight out of the factory to ensure it isn't mishandled by retail.

Badges

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2016, 04:01:34 pm »
Live and let live.

And yet you're questioning the way I live.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:30:31 pm by burningdoom »

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2016, 04:02:57 pm »
 ::)

Badges

sworddude

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2016, 04:17:37 pm »

Lol I left the link so you guys could read it yourself but the reasons it listed for not storing them horizonally were:

Large stacks (disc only or cased) can cause instability on the top which if toppled over could cause damage to the disc's/cases.
the bottom disc's/cases also have to carry the load of everything on top of them potentially resulting in warping/compression which overtime can cause small cracks to form resulting in data loss/disc warp/case warp/case failure.

the largest issue being the accidental toppling.

making high stacks horizontally will also destroy the cover art thanks to the weight. This applies for gamecube ps2 etc (games without hard cases such as ps1.)

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2016, 04:47:14 pm »
Wow lol. Thanks everyone for the tips. I learnt a lot. I never knew you shouldn't leave discs in the console. I always do that.  Does anyone use those Packs that absorb moisture like you get in mail to protect moisture from games? They are called silica i think. I might put them around my games.  So basic rule of thumb based on consensus, is cooler then room temperture, about 55 to 65 degrees, no sunlight, no horizontals?