Author Topic: New Xbox to have no disc drive  (Read 1830 times)

madmax

New Xbox to have no disc drive
« on: March 09, 2012, 07:10:52 pm »
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/9/2856697/next-xbox-no-disc-drive-rumor

Looks like I will be steering clear of the new xbox, I like physical media. With a bad internet connection and the size of games growing, I don't see this being viable for me *or many other people)

scott

Re: New Xbox to have no disc drive
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:19:31 pm »
Strange. Considering I already heard that they were planning to have bluray
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:31:35 pm »
I hate that everything is moving away from physical media.  I like physical media as well - I tend to forget about my games if I can't see them in front of my face, nagging at me.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

jobocan

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 08:45:30 pm »
Still just a rumor, but I do enjoy having physical media... And I do agree with @desocietas, at least at times. It seems physical copies are harder to forget than digital games... I haven't even played Escape Plan on Vita more than once... Though that might be due to the fact that it's kinda boring.

ffxik

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 01:34:02 am »
I heard about this on youtube.  I have a feeling this isn't going to happen.

jcalder8

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 06:42:52 am »
I don't think this will happen. Just as I said when I heard about the PS4 going this way, Gamestop/EB Games are too powerful and high speed internet is not wide spread enough. They will only be costing themselves money.

Also if I can't see something it doesn't exist so I hope that they never go to download only because I have to be able to see a game on a shelf to remember that I want to play it.

matt

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 07:27:56 am »
The only way this is possible is if they continue to release games on another form of physical media. They are too close to their retail partners to completely gut their business. I think bluray will be the way to go especially seeing as no other media would be as cost effective.

darko

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 10:39:34 am »
I could see them moving from discs to something solid state like the Vita. Download only? Nope.

madmax

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:47:43 pm »
Look like it was rumors built on top of rumors. Microsoft has confirmed no next gen console at E3

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1220897p1.html

(or in 2012 either)

jcalder8

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:52:59 pm »
I am not surprised that MS is waiting until 2013, the 360 consoles are still selling well so why kill that?

madmax

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 09:56:42 pm »
I am not surprised that MS is waiting until 2013, the 360 consoles are still selling well so why kill that?

What bothers me is that this holds back the gaming industry on all fronts, especially PC gaming. The consoles can't handle what PCs do, so the games are made on console and we get crappy ports that look terrible compared to what we potentially could have.

scott

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 10:11:15 pm »

What bothers me is that this holds back the gaming industry on all fronts, especially PC gaming. The consoles can't handle what PCs do, so the games are made on console and we get crappy ports that look terrible compared to what we potentially could have.

Maybe the PC industry should seize that and we can get back to PC gaming > Console Gaming.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

amauriel

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 01:28:15 am »
@scott: I'm already there, more or less. I'm pretty much all handhelds and PC at the moment, really, besides my retrogaming.

Skylanders being the exception, but I did get the 3DS version of that as well so... :P
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."