Author Topic: Super Mario 64, Galaxy, Sunshine or 3D World?  (Read 5406 times)

Super Mario 64, Galaxy, Sunshine or 3D World?
« on: May 09, 2016, 12:33:06 pm »
Which is your favorite?

Re: Super Mario 64, Galaxy, Sunshine or 3D World?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 12:41:14 pm »
Sunshine for sure! it was my first Gamecube game that i got with the system, i put sooo many hours into that game. :)  .... I'm going to go play it now. x)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 12:52:00 pm »
3D World, easily, for me. I've replayed many levels in that game over and over again. It feels like what the jump to 3D always should have been for Mario.

I REALLY like Sunshine, too, though. Such an underrated title.

I DO NOT like Super Mario 64. For 3 big reasons: It's empty. There's a lot of levels that just feel too open without a lot going on. That isn't exactly a game-killer for me, though. The next two-reasons are: Having to replay levels multiple times...I hate that. I know, they did it on Sunshine, too, but in that game enough changed on the level each time and there was enough stuff going on in the levels to keep me occupied. But the biggest offender though, which isn't exactly the game's fault, is that damn controller. Still hate it.

azure

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 02:02:38 pm »
Sunshine for me, really like the game. It helps that it is on my favorite system of all time as well.

rayne315

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 02:18:59 pm »
galaxy was best for me. it had less complicated hubworld designs, great levels, weird new concepts, and a solid and fun 3d experience. only complaint is not enough Yoshi
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 04:16:52 pm »
The galaxy games were the only Mario games I've played (aside from SMW) where I had no issue playing through the whole game without getting bored.  64, Sunshine, and 3D World (as well as most of the 2D games) I wind up getting bored and save and quit.

maximo310

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 04:37:58 pm »
Out of these, sunshine is my favorite, super mario galaxy and 64 aren't too far below it, and 3d world is at the absolute bottom.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 05:13:59 pm »
I've only played 64 and Sunshine. I'm not too interested in 3D platformers.

They're both very good games but I'd probably go with 64 as it was the game that started it all.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 05:18:41 pm »
Super Mario 64 is probably just a general favorite for nostalgia reasons and I still like it, though maybe Sunshine? I never beat it, but it's basically a much more improved Super Mario 64, which is great.  I didn't like the Galaxy series much back at the time, I think it went in the wrong direction and I hate wiimote controls, and 3D World made things worse by essentially turning all of Mario into one homogenized blob where the only real difference is perspective.  I want Mario to go back to having the main 3D releases as interesting and fun worlds to explore like in Sunshine, instead of small or linear levels.  Have those games be the ones to try and add new and exciting stuff to Mario, and let the 2D ones keep up same Mario standard.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 06:37:09 pm »
Mario galaxy series, also allot of lvl's aren't small there are some big lvl's out there for exploring aside from linear lvl's

Mario sunshine is awesome as well. I guess underrated since it is a pretty difficult mario 3D game (for 100%).

Mario 64

Mario 3d world is decent, it hated the fact that the lvl's are way more linear and small. it's almost a 2d new super mario title now. Went downhill after the mario galaxy series.

I hope they make a regular mario 3d game like mario 64, sunshine or something like mario galaxy since this is pretty bad. Not worth getting in my opinion. At least the former titles were worth it to spend full price on didn't even bother getting mario 3D world on release.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:39:01 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 07:16:25 pm »
I'd go with Super Mario 64. I like the ability to roam about and being able to re-play the same levels over and find new things each time. I feel like each world is more different than the last in that game, too. Plus all the secret stars and passages... very fun. Sunshine is similar, but the idea of being Mario and racing to Princess Peach's castle in the Mushroom Kingdom feels so natural.. you don't play Mario games for a story, but I do like the story and setting of 64 the best.

flying cap, metal mario.... and how do I get that dang cannon!?!? haha =)

Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 08:05:13 pm »
Mario galaxy series, also allot of lvl's aren't small there are some big lvl's out there for exploring aside from linear lvl's

From what I remember of Galaxy, it pretended to be bigger by having you fly about alot between all the planetoids and such.  It has been awhile and I only ever played either of them for a short length, but my dislike for the design of the levels was just a part of why I was never fond of it.  They also dropped a lot of what I loved 64 and Sunshine in favor of the standard Mario world map layout and such.  I'm still saddened that the type of 3D platformer that I loved with 64 and Sunshine disappeared, which is probably why I'm so hyped for "A Hat in Time", which is a return to that classic world by world platforming collectathon that was so prominent in the late 90's/early 2000.

I have been meaning to try and go back to play them, to see how my views have changed, but I'm still reluctant cause of the controls.  Really hate the wiimote.

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 08:42:07 pm »
64 >> Galaxy >>>> 3D World >>>>>>>> Sunshine

abe

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 09:47:27 pm »
If I had to chose one that I liked the best, I'd probably go with Sunshine. 64 is a close second. Both of those choices are mostly because of the nostalgia. 3D World is in a respectable 3rd place. It's enjoyable and fun to play with friends. Galaxy is down at the very bottom. I didn't really care for it.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

sworddude

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 03:01:32 am »

From what I remember of Galaxy, it pretended to be bigger by having you fly about alot between all the planetoids and such.  It has been awhile and I only ever played either of them for a short length, but my dislike for the design of the levels was just a part of why I was never fond of it.  They also dropped a lot of what I loved 64 and Sunshine in favor of the standard Mario world map layout and such.  I'm still saddened that the type of 3D platformer that I loved with 64 and Sunshine disappeared, which is probably why I'm so hyped for "A Hat in Time", which is a return to that classic world by world platforming collectathon that was so prominent in the late 90's/early 2000.

I have been meaning to try and go back to play them, to see how my views have changed, but I'm still reluctant cause of the controls.  Really hate the wiimote.

True with the flying part but there are some bigger lvl's out there one of my favourites is the Starshine Beach.

Also to be honest I did not mind the wii motion controls, this worked pretty well actually, all the advanced jumps had excellent button placements and the shaking for the spin attack ain't that bad.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:10:20 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!