Author Topic: Super Mario 64, Galaxy, Sunshine or 3D World?  (Read 5409 times)

Re: Super Mario 64, Galaxy, Sunshine or 3D World?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 05:00:03 am »
Also to be honest I did not mind the wii motion controls, this worked pretty well actually, all the advanced jumps had excellent button placements and the shaking for the spin attack ain't that bad.

They aren't the worst, but I just hate them no matter the use.  I can't think of a game I liked on the system where I enjoyed the motion controls.  Big reason why the Wii failed for me.

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 09:18:35 am »
Also to be honest I did not mind the wii motion controls, this worked pretty well actually, all the advanced jumps had excellent button placements and the shaking for the spin attack ain't that bad.

They aren't the worst, but I just hate them no matter the use.  I can't think of a game I liked on the system where I enjoyed the motion controls.  Big reason why the Wii failed for me.

It's by far better than an N64 controller if I'm honest.

For smash bros wii motion controls suck so use cube controller but for games such as mario kart mario galaxy and even zelda the controls work pretty well

Especially the first two, for mario galaxy games the controls fit the theme pretty well. Also the control buttons wich are far between for a 3D game like mario galaxy It's excellent, I personally don't thing that a cube controller would do the mario galaxy games justice.

For zelda sure thanks to the bow and arrow sword is ok, the others games pretty nice though. Minigames like wario ware are also excellent with motion controls
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 10:20:52 am »
For me its tough to rank. They all have pretty different flavors.

You had 64 which is a decent game but it definitely starting to show its age. Sunshine was very story driven with numerous cut scenes with interaction between characters; even to a higher degree than more recent titles. Because of this it also had a grounded, consistent setting/theme. From Galaxy forward the games kind of went back to their roots, by ditching the consistent, believable environments, and just focusing on playful and imaginative level design.

While undoubtedly similar, I don't quite consider 3D World in the Mario 64 lineage. Originating from Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS, the camera had an isometric quality making the game almost feel 2.5D at times. Additionally the level design itself was very linear and not very open compared to 64 and Sunshine. Because of the constricted viewing angle and level design the game didn't really feel as open as previous three dimensional Mario games. Super Mario 3D World continued on with the 3D Land model. There are few other mechanics that separate the series too. One major difference is that in prior games it was all about collecting stars at the end of the level. 3D Land/World have done away with that, replacing it with special tokens that are hidden around the levels that can unlock different paths on the map screen or additional bonus levels. And that's another major difference: The return of the map screen! Other Mario games relied on hub stages that would link you to the level of your choice. There's other differences but I'd be here all day.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:24:01 am by badATchaos »

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 12:20:31 pm »

You had 64 which is a decent game but it definitely starting to show its age. Sunshine was very story driven with numerous cut scenes with interaction between characters; even to a higher degree than more recent titles. Because of this it also had a grounded, consistent setting/theme. From Galaxy forward the games kind of went back to their roots, by ditching the consistent, believable environments, and just focusing on playful and imaginative level design.

While undoubtedly similar, I don't quite consider 3D World in the Mario 64 lineage. Originating from Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS, the camera had an isometric quality making the game almost feel 2.5D at times. Additionally the level design itself was very linear and not very open compared to 64 and Sunshine. Because of the constricted viewing angle and level design the game didn't really feel as open as previous three dimensional Mario games. Super Mario 3D World continued on with the 3D Land model. There are few other mechanics that separate the series too. One major difference is that in prior games it was all about collecting stars at the end of the level. 3D Land/World have done away with that, replacing it with special tokens that are hidden around the levels that can unlock different paths on the map screen or additional bonus levels. And that's another major difference: The return of the map screen! Other Mario games relied on hub stages that would link you to the level of your choice. There's other differences but I'd be here all day.

Yeah I don't really like to consider the 3D World a proper 3D one either in the vein of what came before.  It too much the 2D games in design with the only real difference being perspective.  I played and beat it, and Mario is never bad, but I wasn't really excited by it at all.  I'm hoping with the NX they actually try with Mario like they seem to be trying with Zelda.

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 03:20:28 pm »

Yeah I don't really like to consider the 3D World a proper 3D one either in the vein of what came before.  It too much the 2D games in design with the only real difference being perspective.  I played and beat it, and Mario is never bad, but I wasn't really excited by it at all.  I'm hoping with the NX they actually try with Mario like they seem to be trying with Zelda.

Exactly mario 3D world is not worthy to be called a mario 3D title. I really hope they will improve since the mario 3D games were the only proper mario adventure games released these days. The newer 2D mario titles aren't what they used to be and will probably not improve anytime soon.

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 12:26:35 am »
Galaxy 2 > Galaxy / 64 > 3D

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 12:54:20 pm »
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much hate for Super Mario 3D World. I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was a fun platformer, with very pretty graphics.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 04:27:58 pm »
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much hate for Super Mario 3D World. I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was a fun platformer, with very pretty graphics.

It's a fine Mario game, Mario is rarely, if ever, bad, it's just the wrong direction the 3D games should be going.  They have the hardware to do bigger and better things, actually try something new, but instead they just rehash all the same stuff that's been going on in the 2D games since the Wii, and technically since the NES days.  I want to see what a 64/Sunshine type of Mario could be like if they went all out.  3D World to me just seemed like it was meant as a sequel to 3D Land for the 3DS, but they weren't going to get a 3D Mario out for the system in time, so they just upgraded that and made it the one Mario game.

I'm just hoping the NX has a big Mario being worked on right now to come out early in the cycle.  I think there's interest again for games like the old 3D Mario's with successful indie campaigns for A Hat in Time and Yooka Laylee.  Nintendo were the kings of platformers like that and after they stopped making them, others did too.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:29:50 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 04:43:30 pm »
Oh, I thoroughly enjoy 3D World. In many respects, more than the others. It's just different.

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 04:55:31 pm »
Oh, I thoroughly enjoy 3D World. In many respects, more than the others. It's just different.
3D World is more akin to a 3D version of the 2D games.

Super Mario 64 and Sunshine are full open world levels.

Galaxy is kind of a mix of the two, I don't know quite how to put it, it feels like a very unique experience to me.  The levels I don't believe are as large or open world as the 64 or Sunshine levels, it's like a solid middle ground between the 2.

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 05:33:56 pm »

Galaxy is kind of a mix of the two, I don't know quite how to put it, it feels like a very unique experience to me.  The levels I don't believe are as large or open world as the 64 or Sunshine levels, it's like a solid middle ground between the 2.

What do you mean. Mario galaxy games don't see 2D in any way. The only difference is that there are more linear lvl's, mario sunshine and even mario 64 had linear lvl's.

Furthermore there plenty of lvl's wich are big and the perspective is definitly the same as the former 3D mario games.

There are linear lvl's but other than that the 3D perspective and feeling stays the same like the older games unlike some other 3D title mario 3D world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyMc8b6k1N0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIbW2oC-Rj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FlrXBOMQqg

Also if there is one thing aside from the exploring that the galaxy games are good at It's the bosses, by far way more interesting and fun boss battles than the former 3D mario games.

You can't compare the greatness that is called mario galaxy with a trash title as mario 3D world. I was actually looking forward to a new mario 3D title, 3D world sure was a dissapointment. Never expected nintendo to make the game an upgrade of the 3DS version, expected something way better for a console mario 3D game.

I have to say though that I do see why they made the title more 2D. combined the super mario galaxy series only sold 20 million world wide while new super mario bros sold almost 30 million copies.

New super mario bros is a pretty mediocre game in my opinion compared to the 3D mario games wich were always the thing I had to get  :'(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:54:14 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 06:09:38 pm »

What do you mean. Mario galaxy games don't see 2D in any way. The only difference is that there are more linear lvl's, mario sunshine and even mario 64 had linear lvl's.

Furthermore there plenty of lvl's wich are big and the perspective is definitly the same as the former 3D mario games.

There are linear lvl's but other than that the 3D perspective and feeling stays the same like the older games unlike some other 3D title mario 3D world.

Also if there is one thing aside from the exploring that the galaxy games are good at It's the bosses, by far way more interesting and fun boss battles than the former 3D mario games.

You can't compare the greatness that is called mario galaxy with a trash title as mario 3D world. I was actually looking forward to a new mario 3D title, 3D world sure was a dissapointment. Never expected nintendo to make the game an upgrade of the 3DS version, expected something way better for a console mario 3D game.

I have to say though that I do see why they made the title more 2D. combined the super mario galaxy series only sold 20 million world wide while new super mario bros sold almost 30 million copies.

New super mario bros is a pretty mediocre game in my opinion compared to the 3D mario games wich were always the thing I had to get  :'(
I'm sorry, I left my sworddude dictionary at home, so you lost me a few times.

I was saying Galaxy is a mix between the Sunshine and 3D world games.  It has the best of both styles.

It has the sorta open world and forced level replay of Sunshine and 64, but it also has that short and quick 3D world level stuff.  Some of the levels in Galaxy have that 2D Super Mario Bros inspired 3D set ups, just like 3D World.

sworddude

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 06:18:08 pm »

I was saying Galaxy is a mix between the Sunshine and 3D world games.  It has the best of both styles.

It has the sorta open world and forced level replay of Sunshine and 64, but it also has that short and quick 3D world level stuff.  Some of the levels in Galaxy have that 2D Super Mario Bros inspired 3D set ups, just like 3D World.

I beg your pardon but I actually had my ctracy87 for dummies dictionary with me and understood clearly what you said about it being in the middle but I don't agree with it.

There are some very small parts in 2D other than that a 3D perspective.

Give me some examples of those so called mario world 3D setups since if your talking about linear lvl's even mario 64 and mario sunshine have some of those non open world linear lvl's. Doesn't make it the same as mario 3D world.

Mario galaxy is different than mario sunshine and mario 64 but I would not put it in the middle the differences are different from mario 3D world.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:25:08 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 06:32:46 pm »

I'd say that 3D World is the opposite of "different".  If it was different, I probably would've liked it more.  It's just the usual Mario we've had for years...with cats lol

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 07:05:14 pm »

I beg your pardon but I actually had my ctracy87 for dummies dictionary with me and understood clearly what you said about it being in the middle but I don't agree with it.

There are some very small parts in 2D other than that a 3D perspective.

Give me some examples of those so called mario world 3D setups since if your talking about linear lvl's even mario 64 and mario sunshine have some of those non open world linear lvl's. Doesn't make it the same as mario 3D world.

Mario galaxy is different than mario sunshine and mario 64 but I would not put it in the middle the differences are different from mario 3D world.
say what you want, but you are interpreting my statement incorrectly.