Author Topic: Super Mario 64, Galaxy, Sunshine or 3D World?  (Read 5405 times)

sworddude

Re: Super Mario 64, Galaxy, Sunshine or 3D World?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2016, 07:15:47 pm »
Oh, I thoroughly enjoy 3D World. In many respects, more than the others. It's just different.
3D World is more akin to a 3D version of the 2D games.

Super Mario 64 and Sunshine are full open world levels.

Galaxy is kind of a mix of the two, I don't know quite how to put it, it feels like a very unique experience to me.  The levels I don't believe are as large or open world as the 64 or Sunshine levels, it's like a solid middle ground between the 2.

What do you mean. Mario galaxy games don't see 2D in any way. The only difference is that there are more linear lvl's, mario sunshine and even mario 64 had linear lvl's.

Furthermore there plenty of lvl's wich are big and the perspective is definitly the same as the former 3D mario games.

There are linear lvl's but other than that the 3D perspective and feeling stays the same like the older games unlike some other 3D title mario 3D world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyMc8b6k1N0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIbW2oC-Rj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FlrXBOMQqg

Also if there is one thing aside from the exploring that the galaxy games are good at It's the bosses, by far way more interesting and fun boss battles than the former 3D mario games.

You can't compare the greatness that is called mario galaxy with a trash title as mario 3D world. I was actually looking forward to a new mario 3D title, 3D world sure was a dissapointment. Never expected nintendo to make the game an upgrade of the 3DS version, expected something way better for a console mario 3D game.

I have to say though that I do see why they made the title more 2D. combined the super mario galaxy series only sold 20 million world wide while new super mario bros sold almost 30 million copies.

New super mario bros is a pretty mediocre game in my opinion compared to the 3D mario games wich were always the thing I had to get  :'(
I'm sorry, I left my sworddude dictionary at home, so you lost me a few times.

I was saying Galaxy is a mix between the Sunshine and 3D world games.  It has the best of both styles.

It has the sorta open world and forced level replay of Sunshine and 64, but it also has that short and quick 3D world level stuff.  Some of the levels in Galaxy have that 2D Super Mario Bros inspired 3D set ups, just like 3D World.

I beg your pardon but I actually had my ctracy87 for dummies dictionary with me and understood clearly what you said about it being in the middle but I don't agree with it.

There are some very small parts in 2D other than that a 3D perspective.

Give me some examples of those so called mario world 3D setups since if your talking about linear lvl's even mario 64 and mario sunshine have some of those non open world linear lvl's. Doesn't make it the same as mario 3D world.

Mario galaxy is different than mario sunshine and mario 64 but I would not put it in the middle the differences are different from mario 3D world.
say what you want, but you are interpreting my statement incorrectly.

Howcome? you state that mario galaxy is in between the mario 3d world and older mario 3D games.

You say that the galaxy games have things of both series wich in my opinion is incorrect just saying.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:17:23 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

maximo310

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 07:46:05 pm »
Who cares about what opinion is the most correct or most incorrect, sworddude? All he's saying is that he thinks mario galaxy has a good mix between open world and linear levels, which he thought made it better than sunshine or 3d world.

This reaction  is just like the overrated thread where you got flustered because someone said  that they though melee was overrated.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2016, 08:05:10 pm »
Yeah, I totally agree that Super Mario 3D World feels a lot like the 2D games. But that's why I like it so much. I was always a much bigger fan of the 2D entries than I was the 3D entries. In fact, the only 3D Mario game I can honestly say that I really loved as much as the 2D games is Super Mario Sunshine.

sworddude

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2016, 05:27:44 am »
Who cares about what opinion is the most correct or most incorrect, sworddude? All he's saying is that he thinks mario galaxy has a good mix between open world and linear levels, which he thought made it better than sunshine or 3d world.

This reaction  is just like the overrated thread where you got flustered because someone said  that they though melee was overrated.

That's not the most important point, the most annoying part is that he thinks that I don't get what he is saying else I would just let it be and ignore it.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

haloofthesun

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2016, 04:19:49 pm »
For me it's 64 > 3D World > Sunshine > Galaxy

SM64 has aged terribly, we all know that. Even back when it was released the camera was a nightmare and it's only gotten more aggravating over time. But Mario moves so fluidly that it just makes the game so much fun to play. The level design isn't all that great a lot of the time, but it at least stays interesting and allows for a lot of flexibility in the way the game is played and the order the levels are taken. I'm sure a lot of my love for it is nostalgia goggles, but it really is just a joy for me to play it.

3D World gets a lot of flack from people saying it's just 2D Mario in a 3D environment. Well... yeah! It doesn't have the exploration of 64 and Sunshine, but that's okay. It's just as linear as Galaxy, only it doesn't try to hide it. And that's fine, because the game was designed around having multiple players which is a ton of fun. Just like NSMB series, the more people you play with, the more difficult it is, but it makes for a great co-op (or competitive) experience. The level design is also very good. People seem to overlook that in this game, but really it's just awesome. Plus the vast majority of levels offer some sort of unique mechanic or twist that aren't in any other level. It's not just "Ugh, here's another typical Mario level" because it's always doing something exciting to keep players on their toes. People are salty because they didn't Galaxy 3 and instead got something new, so a lot of people haven't given this game a fair chance.

Sunshine is a lot of fun, but I feel like there were a lot of ways they could and should have done better. Some of Mario's jumps and moves were either replaced or just taken out from 64 - no more long jump?? He controls well, but it's much tighter than before. The F.L.U.D.D. allows for getting around levels in different ways, but honestly I think I would have preferred it not be used as a means of getting around the environment because it's slow and tedious. I don't feel like some of the levels were designed all that well - probably because they were keeping the F.L.U.D.D. in mind - and some are just not very fun to play. And then some of the "secret" levels like that pachinko machine and the sand phoenix are just horrible. Overall it's still a great game though.

Galaxy (and Galaxy 2) is incredibly overrated. WHOA HE CAN WALK UPSIDE DOWN LOLOL! Big deal. That doesn't make the game good. There's unique uses of gravity and levels do weird stuff with it and that's neat (most of the time), but (again, most of the time) it's just a gimmick and is pointless to how the game is played. The levels are incredibly linear, despite what everyone insists, it's just that they are designed in such a way that it doesn't feel like it because you are constantly being launched to other planets. Linearity is fine, and really every level needs a clear means of getting from point A to point B. "But 3D World is linear and you loved that!" I hear people say. Yes, because 3D World was designed around being multiplayer with everyone on the same screen at once, so linearity became a necessity. The Galaxy games are single player and encourage exploration due to not having a timer and having the goal of the level or certain sections being vague at times, but they don't give you an interesting area to explore, thus negating the exploration entirely. There's always a sense of constriction, even though often times Mario is in space. Where you need to go is almost always obvious and you rarely have any choice but to go in that direction. Final Fantasy 13 does the same exact thing and everybody hates it so much. Unlike in 64 and Sunshine, the hub world is very small and there's nothing interesting to do there. Those problems aside, the game(s) is still a lot of fun, just highly overrated. Also the music is beautiful.

davifus

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2016, 05:46:14 pm »
Mario 64
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

Warmsignal

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 12:43:06 am »
Partly driven by nostalgia, I gotta say 64.

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 11:36:21 am »
It makes me wonder if we'll ever get a game like Mario Sunshine from Nintendo again, the voice acting, the open world and fluid movement, the multiple ways of exploring, tons of secrets.

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 05:31:13 pm »
Tough question. I might say 3D World.

Badges

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2018, 02:01:30 am »
64 is my favourite, but 3D World is often unfairly dismissed. For me, I can see why as it starts with such a pedestrian and overly familiar setting, but I honestly felt as though it continually peaked and packed more in than its given credit for. I truly hope the 3D World formula is used for the Kong clan.

3D-wise, I am hoping Switch gets a Mario Galaxy 3 as well as a HD duo pack to bide the time after it gets announced. Odyssey is an absolute blockbuster of a Mario game in a way that 3D World fell short of in terms of gameplay grandeur, so much so that I don't want a sequel attempted until the next Nintendo generation.