Author Topic: Does anyone find the PS3, and xbox 360 boring?  (Read 13383 times)

necrosexual

Re: Does anyone find the PS3, and xbox 360 boring?
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2016, 07:12:53 am »
this thread got heavy heh.

ahhh.
my two cents is
'no'
i think this kind of topic comes up every single generation. i see it ever gen. back when the wii/360/ps3 came out people said this about them, and the ps2/xbox/gcn. and i imagine it was the same for ps1/n64/saturn back then, too.
like, people get older and harder to impress. i know even tho i was like 10 i thought the n64 was ~so meh~. i wasn't impressed by boxy horrible graphics. i was way more impressed with some snes pixel art (yoshi's island comes to mind especially).

we get jaded and blah blah.

anyway, my ps3 collection is pretty sizeable in comparison. the 360 wasn't for me, i owned one, i sold it for the ps3 (before i was really on the collecting game as much... i was collecting, but not really into it at the time, and i want a 360 eventually, but only for some of the jrpgs.
i don't find ps3 to be boring at all. but i'm a niche consumer, and i like a lot of trash. like, weeb jrpgs are kinda my thing. as in 'if there aren't cute girls in my game i probably have no interest' type here. i have a penchant for cute that runs vein deep i guess.
i'll say i never got into online, i think i missed the boat and now i'd have some serious learning curve and catching up and idk, it's not for me, i don't wanna bother, i like my single player, and the ps3 has that in spades. and some of the games gave me experiences i know older gens would have a much harder time doing so for me.
that doesn't mean i don't enjoy older consoles, of course i do, i have loads of memories with the snes especially
but ps3 was when i finally had the cash to really buy games (and ps2) and i could enjoy a wider variety.

i genuinely think that generation had a lot of good stuff in general.
and i think people who say it was boring are getting a bit jaded (and may need to take a break from the hobby).

though i will say this: the ps4 and bone are hella boring if you don't have internet. hard to buy games that are GOING to need patches, when you can't really hook up to the internet (i use mobile hotspot to get online right now, it's a pain, but i can't be using the bandwidth on 50 system updates and 15 more game updates, this shit is limited bandwidth lmao).
maybe i can argue the ps2 was better than the ps3 -in general- for my tastes, but i'm actually MORE inclined to the weeb jrpgs of PS3 than the more serious ones from yesteryear. it appeals to me more.

and anyway, no one mentioned dragon's dogma.
or nier.
or earth defence force
or really any gem from the console gen in question. there were a bunch of fantastic titles on the consoles, but no one's mentioning them, and the arguing point (that i saw, i skimmed, i'll read later when i wake up) used AAA titles... and AAA titles have always been kinda hit or miss for a while now. a fuckload of the "great" titles during the ps2 days weren't AAA (persona, smt series and knock offs in general, for example). no one is bringing up how platinum exists now, and continues to make fantastic games (def not AAA tho), like vanquish, no one is bringing up the A or even B titles, just AAA as their arguing point and... fair enough, those are the big budget, big advertisement, prominent titles, but let's be real, the generation is just going down, and like literally every other generation, it's only after the gen is over that all the hidden golden gems are dug out of the earth and put forth.

i think it's WAY too early to be saying "wow that gen sure was terrible wasn't it :^)" when we all know how this goes: generation finally dies off, all the gems are uncovered, we can look back and pick it apart, it always turns out better than we remember, wow, huh, look at that, turns out it wasn't that shit after all and wowee wew lad [current gen] sucks so much shit can we go back to last gen :^)??
this happens EVERY time, i'm young (23 next week) but i've seen this happen twice now, three times in the handheld verse, and i dunno, i guess it gets a little old.

i mean shit, i never thought xbox original had much until i crept into a 'hidden gems of the xbox/xbox appreciation thread' thread on 8chan and wowee, look at that, a whole damn jpeg of games i never knew existed. (albeit, my brother is the xbox guy, i'm the playstation guy, used to be nintendo but i'm a little bit salty about treehouse translation and localisation butchering abound/censorship bullshit, so i'll see myself out of that discussion)
you'll see the same lists all over again for 360/ps3/wii, just like xbox/gcn/ps2 and so on and so on.
every gen this happens.
and every next gen we look back and realise ~oh it could have been so much worse how could we be so blind~ so i'm immune to this thinking i guess.

tl;dr: i fucking dig my ps3, didn't mind my 360 when i had one but the games weren't really suited for me thus the ps3 transition.
ps3 is a pree cool guy basically.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

spac316

« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2016, 12:16:28 am »
Nope, I had fun with them.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2016, 10:32:31 pm »
xbox 360 and ps3 were great systems esp. xbox 360 imo.

shfan

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2016, 11:54:03 am »
Boring? No, own a few hundred games from this generation and I've always been entertained, the presence of BioShock and its sequel alone are enough for me to always want access to them.

As a physical-only gamer and collector, however, that was the generation of genre-squeezing with an excess of FPS and 3rd-person open world/shooty games, the majority of unusual stuff was online only, so there are certainly limits placed on the physical side of the games. That's not the hardware though, it's the game industry's obsession on having 1 way to do everything.

The PS4 has a growing library of budget and previously online-only titles, which, BioShock aside, does blow the 360/PS3 out of the water for me.

gf78

« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2016, 03:17:13 pm »
i'll say i never got into online, i think i missed the boat and now i'd have some serious learning curve and catching up and idk, it's not for me, i don't wanna bother, i like my single player, and the ps3 has that in spades. and some of the games gave me experiences i know older gens would have a much harder time doing so for me.

Online play wasn't an option for me until shortly after Halo Reach was released.  My online experiences before that were few & far between at a friend's house.  I've always preferred single player games to online focused ones, but I have to say there is a draw to multiplayer when it is an addition to a great single player game. 

Being a Halo nut, I've jumped in feet-first with Halo 5 multiplayer.  I keep racking up "Big Game Hunter" in my matches and not to brag, but a lot of the time I can come in 1st or 2nd on my team.  There are also many times when I get absolutely smoked and there are gamers with uncanny abilities.  They are machines.  Terminators!  But it can be a lot of fun.  And I have to confess, I'm a habitual tea-bagger.  I can't help it.  Especially if I get the last kill of the match, I run up and teabag their helpless asses while they lay there and the screen fades and shows the scores.  It's like that one last kick in the teeth. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us