Author Topic: Does anyone find the PS3, and xbox 360 boring?  (Read 13770 times)

tripredacus

Re: Does anyone find the PS3, and xbox 360 boring?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 10:04:06 am »
90% of the time my PS3 serves as a bluray player.

This is me too. I bought the PS3 because it was the cheapest BD player on the market and upscales DVDs. I did do a fair bit of gaming on it originally, but the entire update process really turned me off to it. I hated how I would decide to play a game, or buy a new one, and not be able to play it for a half hour or longer. Eventually I just stopped playing games on it. I haven't logged into PSN in nearly 2 years now and only turn it on to watch movies.

Has this update behaviour been changed with PS4? The only thing I can compare to is Steam, which seems to update installed games on its own. Even if I go a long period of time between playing something from Steam, it never says I have to wait while it updates the game first.

doafan

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 10:20:38 am »
To me games haven't changed since 2005; other than visuals of course.

Got the same feeling I guess that am to fucking old and the fact that am always saying that better graphics/sound not necessarily means that makes a better game, I do play games from the 360 but playing a game that punish me every time that I made a mistake (Metal Storm / Bucky o' Hare) and that really put a challenge on it's a lot better than one that practically gave you a save point every 5 minutes.

Haven't purchased a PS3 and it seems that I will never gonna purchase one  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 10:55:45 am »
Here's my 2 cents. 

Games don't have as much replay value as they used to because they require a big time investment.  Shorter games don't require that. 

I'm into a lot of these indie games these days.  I wish they weren't all download only, but I'll take it how I can get it.

gf78

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 12:11:49 pm »
I spent a lot of time gaming on both the PS3 and 360 and find them both far from boring, the PS3 more so.  There were "experiences" on these two consoles that I would have missed out on had I not owned them.  Game like Bioshock, Uncharted and Borderlands have stuck with me as some of my favorite games.  Multiplayer came into it's own on these two consoles (I know online was available before, but these two systems really took it mainstream) and for me, there is an undeniable, huge amount of fun I've had with this.  Playing Halo Reach online with my friends was a blast and teabagging noobs has left a permanent warm spot in my heart. 

I could go on and on about all the great games I played, the fun multiplayer sessions that kept me up past my bedtime and the incredible stories I experienced.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

desocietas

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 12:29:13 pm »
I actually really enjoyed the Kinect when I used it, and I played a *LOT* of Rock Band on my 360. That and Catherine were the big reasons why I picked up a 360 of my own after my roommates left and took theirs.

Oh, that and games like Castle Crashers.

I didn't start collecting for PS3 until near the end of its life, and I never had a way to play any of them until about 2 years ago. (Still haven't really played anything on it actually, now that I think of it.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 12:51:58 pm »
They have such massive libraries, you've got to be able to find some games you really enjoy. The 360 has to be close to rivaling PS2's library in size.

FPS and sports games may be the majority focus of the system, but there's still plenty of old-school stuff, RPGs, platformers, indie-games, arcadey games, and even a decent shoot-em up scene.

maximo310

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 02:42:33 pm »
I'd have to disagree.
The Xbox 360 has a pretty decent variety of niche stuff and indie titles, some of which is region free. The PS3 also has a pretty strong import library that includes physical releases of stuff that we only got digitally here.  I could see the point being somewhat true for AAA games; it just depends where you look.

dreama1

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 03:05:36 pm »
I spent a lot of time gaming on both the PS3 and 360 and find them both far from boring, the PS3 more so.  There were "experiences" on these two consoles that I would have missed out on had I not owned them.  Game like Bioshock, Uncharted and Borderlands have stuck with me as some of my favorite games.  Multiplayer came into it's own on these two consoles (I know online was available before, but these two systems really took it mainstream) and for me, there is an undeniable, huge amount of fun I've had with this.  Playing Halo Reach online with my friends was a blast and teabagging noobs has left a permanent warm spot in my heart. 

I could go on and on about all the great games I played, the fun multiplayer sessions that kept me up past my bedtime and the incredible stories I experienced.
Yeah dude, I think we all did back then, but we're talking about right now. Most of those games; the online communities are dead now, or no longer supported; or close to death. Bioshock, Uncharted, and borderlands were great games I beat them a couple of times, but would I play them again today? God no. And the bombardment of sequels makes me want to presume it's to rectify, because of the lose of interest fast. Oversimplification of course for why so many sequels instead of new franchises, but this is off subject.

Off topic but I swear they've aged poorly games of the previous generation, and it's not purely a graphical standpoint. A part from skyrim,oblivion, fallout.

sworddude

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 03:11:28 pm »
Both systems have very little interest to me the games **** in my opinion. Not a big fan of realistic games wich is the trademark for both systems.

I barely even try collecting for these systems. Few titles such as journey peek my interest but overall pretty ****.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

shepard11

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 03:41:00 pm »
I've been a gamer all my life and Xbox 360 is what got me back into online gaming. It's where my current clan formed and moved to the Xbox One. It's probably the system I have the most games for (if I could digital games too). I catch myself playing it at least a couple hours a night (probably helps its in my bedroom). I can't say I ever been bored with this system and if I do I just go buy a new game I haven't tried yet. The market for these are super cheap and I've probably owned about 5 systems (thanks to red ring of death).

telly

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 10:00:50 am »
I don't think either system is boring: They both have some really great games and a lot of replayability. I wouldn't mind going back and restarting a game of Skyrim or Bioshock Infinite, for example. I actually think the further back you go the less you want to replay a game again because there isn't much more for you to do after you beat it.

For me, the only games I pick up and replay consistently are portable games, because they're easy to just pick up and play for a couple of minutes.
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sin2beta

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 12:57:06 pm »
I really like that generation of games. It always felt like they were for 3D what the Super Nintendo and Genesis were for 2D. The tech and programming was there to do it right. And there were tons of great games. The 360 is one of my favorite systems.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

gf78

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 01:10:34 pm »
Yeah dude, I think we all did back then, but we're talking about right now. Most of those games; the online communities are dead now, or no longer supported; or close to death. Bioshock, Uncharted, and borderlands were great games I beat them a couple of times, but would I play them again today? God no. And the bombardment of sequels makes me want to presume it's to rectify, because of the lose of interest fast. Oversimplification of course for why so many sequels instead of new franchises, but this is off subject.

Off topic but I swear they've aged poorly games of the previous generation, and it's not purely a graphical standpoint. A part from skyrim,oblivion, fallout.

So you find the PS3/360 boring because the online communities dried up?  I don't find my older consoles boring because new games are no longer released for them which is a fairly similar circumstance.

As for the games themselves "standing the test of time" there are still a great many games from the last generation that I enjoy today.  If I still had a Microsoft machine, I would fire Halo up.  I still love playing the Uncharted and God of War games.  I still love playing the first two Deadspace games.  Skyrim.  Fallout 3.  Bioshock.  These games haven't become dull to me.  They are still as much fun today as they were when they first were released.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Warmsignal

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 01:01:36 am »
Zee truth be told I only got my PS3 about a year ago. Played maybe one game on it. Had a 360 since way back, didn't play it very much either. Modern games are hard for me to really get into. I seriously can't even follow most of them, maybe it's brain fog, maybe it's anxiety. I just don't enjoy the experience of trying to figure out how to actually play a modern game, which takes time in itself, and trying to keep up with a cinematic story-line and scripted real time events that I don't care about. Most mainstream games stopped being simple enough for me to enjoy after 6th gen. It's like so many 7th gen games wanted to be epic movies instead of games. Just didn't really dig that.

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 11:15:55 am »
I believe that the reason for this, is because a lot of us who grew up on Atari etc. were playing games made for the arcade, which were for the MOST part specifically made to screw you of your money.

Thus the console games we played required more replay value to get around artificially cheap gameplay. Things like Q*bert, Ninja Giden River Raid, Mortal Kombat.

Now they try to hook you to a game for an extended length of time. Or if they can't do that, they use MP as the replay value asset.