Author Topic: Overrated and Underrated Video Game Youtube Channels  (Read 17701 times)

desocietas

Re: Overrated and Underrated Video Game Youtube Channels
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2016, 07:50:20 pm »
For some reason, I can't really watch Youtube shows at all. The closest I got was watching Zero Punctuation, but even then I was just watching the ones for games I was interested in.

When I first heard about Twitch, I thought it was the stupidest thing in the world, but I've met some genuinely nice people there and have made many friendship that would not have happened otherwise.

I suppose the part about Youtube videos is that there's no interaction. I guess I don't really want to hear opinions on someone's playthrough unless there's a way to react to it or if it's part of a proper review.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2016, 09:55:37 pm »
For some reason, I can't really watch Youtube shows at all. The closest I got was watching Zero Punctuation, but even then I was just watching the ones for games I was interested in.

That's what I do, really. I didn't really think about it, but I guess we are the minority.
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2016, 06:27:47 am »
Overated- Markiplier, Angry Video Game Nerd (Cinemassacre), Metal Jesus Rocks

Underated- Alpha Omega Sin, Leafyishere

Wow I love MJR, he's informative and entertaining and has some great guests like John Hancock. The two you listed as underrated, to me, are just juvenile loudmouth immature morons with no substance. The sad thing is it seems that's their appeal.

doafan

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2016, 10:07:50 am »
- Overrated
Pat the NES Punk: this dude and the blonde one are my "favorites" those nights that I can't sleep, I just add a couple of their videos to a playlist and after a couple of minutes am sleeping like a baby.
Cinemassacre: what can I say about this mothafucka, everything about this dude makes me sick, why ? simple cause the idea or at least the one that I have is that if you are gonna talk about games do it the right way, the idea is to love not to hate games and yes I know is the way that he is but can't accept it.
MetalJesusRocks: boring a hell, having an awesome collection not necessarily means that you can make good videos, he looks like a 40 years old fucking virgin, he might be married really dunno but that doesn't change anything.
AlphaOmegaSin: admit that used to love his style when I started watching his videos but after a couple of them they are all practically the same, got the impression that over the time he hasn't improve at anything.

- Underrated
SpaceKappa: his reviews when he do them are one my favorites, have recently discovered his channel and already got a couple of ideas for mi next purchases.
The Gaming Historian: totally hate the history but when somebody teach me the history about the videogames got my complete attention, his videos are so well done and very informative without a doubt is a must see channel if you want to learn more about what you are playing.
Drink a Beer and Play a Game: these dudes sold me the idea that Spaltterhouse was good enough for me, love their reviews and the way they make the videos and the fact that they answer users comments is what I like about this channel.
Cannot be Tamed: love this channel even when my wife said that am only following because I like Pam, she is the only gamer girl that I can afford, her reviews and gameplays are my favorites cause she is the kind of people that plays and talks not that much only the necessary, the one that she did for Rule of Rose is my favorite.
Stop Skeletons from Fighting: he used to be know as the Happy Video Game Nerd, the opposite to that asshole of Cinemassacre so guess there is no need to say why I thing he is on this list.
Cygnus Destroyer/The LJN Defender: another guy that gives bad games a second chance, the videos of the INNOCENT Until Proven Guilty! series needs to have more attention.
Michael B the Game Genie: I do envy this fat guy but his reviews and gameplays and the ones that he make with his friends are good enough, just don't watch his singing video rip of Pokemon and everything will be excellent.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

Warmsignal

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2016, 04:29:43 pm »
Yeah, Norm the Gaming Historian is a pretty good one. Probably my favorite nowadays. I like the more informative type of channels rather than just watching people play, and critics are always useless to me, I like forming my own opinions. All critics do is hate anyway.

AVGN had it's moment in history an entertaining show in a very juvenile way, but I think it's time people let it go, especially when James Rolfe himself wants to move on. I still watch the The Game Chasers and Retro Liberty because they put a lot of work into their stuff and it takes me back to the days of hunting down games in the wild.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2016, 04:39:38 pm »
Anyone here watch TheKnow on YouTube? It's a gaming news/rumors channel, that also has a few shows here or there. (I pretty much just watch the daily gaming news bits on there).

It's a great way to keep up on gaming news, in a few minutes. And Meg Turney, oh yeah, Meg Turner
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 04:41:57 pm by burningdoom »

rayne315

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2016, 06:06:33 pm »
Anyone here watch TheKnow on YouTube? It's a gaming news/rumors channel, that also has a few shows here or there. (I pretty much just watch the daily gaming news bits on there).

It's a great way to keep up on gaming news, in a few minutes. And Meg Turney, oh yeah, Meg Turner
don't they also do unsubstantiated scientific news stories like D News?
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2016, 07:05:13 pm »
^ They have some stuff on tech and science, too. But I only watch the gaming videos, unless it looks particularly interesting to me.

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2016, 03:40:51 am »
Overrated:

Reviewtech USA - Rich, the guy who creates all the videos for this channel is the biggest hypocrite POS on all of youtube as far as I'm concerned. The guy also is a click bait whore that condemns other channels for doing the same thing . . .yeah ::)

Happyconsolegamer - He is a prime example of someone who likes talking about video games and owning them rather than playing them. I sometimes get the impression that he has maybe beaten about twenty games his whole life and bases his opinions of the thousands of other games he has on what he has read or heard about them online. His channel also annoys me in general for some reason.

Metal Jesus Rocks - It bothers me a little bit that he has to have guests on his show in half his videos to explain games that most other gamers are completely aware of, except for him of course. It's as if he supplements his overall lack of gaming knowledge(at least involving consoles) by having others explain the games and do the work for him. This brings me to another issue I have with his channel, his Hidden Gems videos. 90% of these so called Hidden Gems are anything but hidden.

Pro Jared - The guy annoys me, plain and simple.

Underrated

The Game Chasers - Possibly my favorite youtube channel, their production quality is amazing for the show, both Billy and Jay are hilarious, and most of the episodes are very entertaining.

Pat the NES Punk - While many would argue that his channel does have a great deal of success, I feel like his videos are awesome, and especially the CUpodcast is very entertaining and has a lot of insightful opinions on gaming related topics. And Flea Market Madness!!!
I agree and disagree on some of these.

ReviewTechUSA is certainly a pain in the ass; he used to be decent but nowadays he just points to drama or tries to act like he's an authority on the things he talks about. Also that voice he puts on; if I was gay, I feel I'd find that offensive.

HappyConsoleGamer...... ah I think John is harmless. I'm sure he plays more games than you suggest; but of course he can't play them all (I know I can't). His content is generally fairly dull so I suppose he is over-rated in that sense.

MetalJesusRocks. It's funny that you point to his guests. He himself isn't very entertaining nor the most knowledgeable. However I commend him for thinking of bringing on guests as some of them are great. I really like Reggie and Kelsey; though at the same time they both produce their own content, so you can have them without him.

ProJared. Meh I watched one video of his after he appeared on the Game Chasers; didn't like it and never watched him again.

The Game Chasers is class. One of my favorite shows on YouTube; the collecting has somewhat gone out the window; no longer do they find much, however the entertainment is still there. Just a really funny show.

Pat the NES Punk..... I'm not sure I'd say its underrated, I'd say it's rated. I do enjoy some of the content; as you say CUPodcast, Flea Market Madness and Ask Frank are great series. Not so keen on his other stuff though.

ffxik

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2016, 10:06:41 pm »
I'm not too sure how to reply to this.  I watch several regularly and have been exposed to others I wish I hadn't to put simply.  I'll go through the ones I follow, the ones I would rather just quit and those in between.

Regulars

Game Sack A fairly entertaining show chock full of games some we've all heard of others not so much.  The episodes tend to be on the long side of 20+ minutes but they can cover a lot of ground in that time.  Usually do episodes pertaining to a genre or console and list some good and not so good games along the way.  All without resorting to wall to wall toilet humor to carry the show.

ProJared I just like the way he presents himself.  Usually itemizing what he loves and doesn't when it comes to games he reviews.  He doesn't really stand out though and can be rather dry and boring to some.

The Completionist I give this guy props for what he does.  There is no way I would put myself through that just to "100%" a game.  It's interesting what some devs do when players 100% their games.  I'm too lazy for that so that's what he's for. lol  :P

The Rageaholic Very outspoken individual and that may be putting it lightly.  He has a fairly large vocabulary and isn't afraid to whip it out and wave it around.  Reviews tend to be short, clocking in at 10 or so minutes average.   He's not for everyone though as he in his usually verbose way tends to be rather crass and vulgar.

JonTron I um, eh... Well, yeah I don't know why, I just do.  DON"T JUDGE ME!   :'(

Wish they still did,

StillGaming This was my first YouTube reviewer.  His videos were short and entertaining.  I liked his style.  I still enjoy watching his review of Peggle.  From what I understand health reasons and pairing up with that disaster Blistered Thumbs is pretty much what killed him off

ClanoftheGrayWolf They might still be doing their content on their personal site, I haven't checked.  The 8bit and 16bit Gems series were well done.  The way Video Games Work was also one of my faves.

Watch Very Occasionally

AlphaOmegaSin Really got tired of his constant ranting and raving.

AVGN James wants to end this you can tell by the dead look in his eyes when you boot a newer video.  That and his juvenile escapades has gotten long since stale.

TheHappyConsoleGamer He seems like a straight up, nice guy.  I don't watch him.  I can't explain why.  I don't hate his content, I just don't watch it.

Not if you paid me

TheRPGFanatic  Ugh. Boring, bland, lifeless.  Sure fire coma material there.

ReviewTechUSA I hate this guy.  Does nothing but rumor mill and stir the pot.

RetroGamer03/TheGamingRapist/TheWelfareGamer Whatever his moniker is at this time I don't care. This guy is try too hard budget AVGN.  Proof positive that Canada can breed ignorant and bat shit crazy just as well as the U.S. does.

AngryJoe I don't know what people see in him.  I don't have the attention span to sit and listen to one guy beat the reasons he doesn't/does like a game to death for 30+ minutes.  Terrible skits and just boring ass writing.  Not a fan.

JimSterling and MovieBob These two gibbering landmasses are annoying as hell to watch.  At least I can sometimes agree with Sterling.  Both are narcissistic asses.

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2016, 05:32:40 am »
In terms of the channels that spring to mind....

I Love:

'Kinda Funny Games' - PS I Love You XOXO is my favorite gaming podcast (shame it's PlayStation only) and the Gamescast gets some great guests. Greg has won awards as a gmaing personality for a rason and Colin is a great analyst of the industry.

'TheGameChasers' - It's funny and I like watching the pursuit of games. Sadly they don't find the stuff they used to but it's still a good show nonetheless.

'The Game Theorists' - Mainly for MatPat's Game Theory videos. These videos really make you think about games in a different way which is cool.

I Like:

'Pat the NES Punk' - Funny enough I've never bothered with his old Punk stuff. However the CU Podcast is always worth a listen, Flea Market Madness is good and Ask Frank is worth a chuckle.

'Game Sack' - Just a well done show that gives you an insight into certain systems or genres.

'EasyAllies' - The old Gametrailers crew. Enjoy their podcast and although I hate let's plays if I'm really curious about a game, they're the best to go to. Looking forward to the return of Retrospectives.

'ScrewAttack' - I really like the lists they do; don't always agree with them but they're enjoyable all the same.

'Gaijan Goombah' - Educational.

''Gaming Historian' - Ditto.

'Did You Know Gaming' - Just gives you some interesting little facts about games that you may or may not already know.

So-so:

'MetalJesusRocks' - His videos are a mixed bag, generally when he's on his own it's not worth watching but some of his guests are good; I like Kelsey and Reggie.

Used to be Better:

'AlphaOmegaSin' - We have a similar taste in games, so naturally I gravitated toward him; feel the balance used to be right between passion and rants, the rants were justified. Nowadays there's far too many rants and half of them seem pointless.

'Cinemassacre' - I get that James has grown up and the Nerd is dead; so he can do what he wants with his channel. It's fair enough but nonetheless it's obvious the channel used o be a lot better.

Used to Like but not Anymore:

'Melonie Mac' - I used to like her videos but she's just gotten too big for her breeches it seems. It's like she doesn't even produce content anymore; 'I'm at this event, I'm at that event." You can't be a YouTuber and not produce any content. She's more interested in make-up and pink hair than producing the videos that she used to.

'AngryJoeShow' - His rants used to have a purpose, his reviews had plenty of effort in them and his end of the year lists were something to look forward to. Nowadays it's like he has established his audience so he feels he can just put out let's plays with 'other Joe' and the odd rant that doesn't seem well thought out, and that'll keep his audience. Not for me.

'ReviewTechUSA' - At one point he made actual content and when he did discuss a gaming story it was one worth discussing. Now it's just click bait stories and pretending he's some authority on things. Ha when he addresses someone like Phil Spencer in his videos, I can't help but LOL, as if Phil listens to his videos....

I Hate:

Honestly if I don't like a channels I come across I generally just forget about it, so hard to say what I hate. I feel Let's Players are pointless and I think it's a crime that their king PewDiePie is a millionaire because of them; squeal at Call of Duty and make millions......sigh.

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2016, 09:17:59 pm »
I'm not too sure how to reply to this.  I watch several regularly and have been exposed to others I wish I hadn't to put simply.  I'll go through the ones I follow, the ones I would rather just quit and those in between.

Regulars

Game Sack A fairly entertaining show chock full of games some we've all heard of others not so much.  The episodes tend to be on the long side of 20+ minutes but they can cover a lot of ground in that time.  Usually do episodes pertaining to a genre or console and list some good and not so good games along the way.  All without resorting to wall to wall toilet humor to carry the show.

ProJared I just like the way he presents himself.  Usually itemizing what he loves and doesn't when it comes to games he reviews.  He doesn't really stand out though and can be rather dry and boring to some.

The Completionist I give this guy props for what he does.  There is no way I would put myself through that just to "100%" a game.  It's interesting what some devs do when players 100% their games.  I'm too lazy for that so that's what he's for. lol  :P

The Rageaholic Very outspoken individual and that may be putting it lightly.  He has a fairly large vocabulary and isn't afraid to whip it out and wave it around.  Reviews tend to be short, clocking in at 10 or so minutes average.   He's not for everyone though as he in his usually verbose way tends to be rather crass and vulgar.

JonTron I um, eh... Well, yeah I don't know why, I just do.  DON"T JUDGE ME!   :'(

Wish they still did,

StillGaming This was my first YouTube reviewer.  His videos were short and entertaining.  I liked his style.  I still enjoy watching his review of Peggle.  From what I understand health reasons and pairing up with that disaster Blistered Thumbs is pretty much what killed him off

ClanoftheGrayWolf They might still be doing their content on their personal site, I haven't checked.  The 8bit and 16bit Gems series were well done.  The way Video Games Work was also one of my faves.

Watch Very Occasionally

AlphaOmegaSin Really got tired of his constant ranting and raving.

AVGN James wants to end this you can tell by the dead look in his eyes when you boot a newer video.  That and his juvenile escapades has gotten long since stale.

TheHappyConsoleGamer He seems like a straight up, nice guy.  I don't watch him.  I can't explain why.  I don't hate his content, I just don't watch it.

Not if you paid me

TheRPGFanatic  Ugh. Boring, bland, lifeless.  Sure fire coma material there.

ReviewTechUSA I hate this guy.  Does nothing but rumor mill and stir the pot.

RetroGamer03/TheGamingRapist/TheWelfareGamer Whatever his moniker is at this time I don't care. This guy is try too hard budget AVGN.  Proof positive that Canada can breed ignorant and bat shit crazy just as well as the U.S. does.

AngryJoe I don't know what people see in him.  I don't have the attention span to sit and listen to one guy beat the reasons he doesn't/does like a game to death for 30+ minutes.  Terrible skits and just boring ass writing.  Not a fan.

JimSterling and MovieBob These two gibbering landmasses are annoying as hell to watch.  At least I can sometimes agree with Sterling.  Both are narcissistic asses.

Dude Jontron is amazing. Unscripted his jokes are wildly hit and miss. But when he writes one? Pure gold.