Author Topic: Annoying things people ask us about your gaming hobby/gaming collection.  (Read 8022 times)

desocietas

Do you have a girlfriend?

Haha, it's sad but people think that folks only like video games because they aren't in some sort of relationship. You can have both, and my relationship probably made my boyfriend take his collection a lot more seriously (because I take my personal collection seriously)  ;D
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

I've never had anything asked about my collection that annoyed me, all of the people i know like it or just don't care about it or think it's neat.  :o

desocietas

I've never had anything asked about my collection that annoyed me, all of the people i know like it or just don't care about it or think it's neat.  :o

Yeah, I couldn't really think of any questions I'd gotten that bug me. I love talking about it to people who seem generally interested. Most of the time, people aren't interested in games, so they don't pursue the conversation topic any further. Occasionally people will say "cool" and ask what games I'm playing currently, etc. It's a little awkward when they seem to want to talk about games but when you list off some games, they have no idea what you're talking about  ::)  Sometimes easier to say things like "Mario" or whatever to those folks.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

"You should sell your collection and buy a *insert expensive noun here*."

That's the one I get the most. I've been saving for a couple of big purchases. "If you'd sell some of this stuff you could buy, blah.

dreama1

Haha, it's sad but people think that folks only like video games because they aren't in some sort of relationship. You can have both, and my relationship probably made my boyfriend take his collection a lot more seriously (because I take my personal collection seriously)  ;D
GF/BF's are expensive.

sin2beta

I wish I got questions more often. Honestly, most of the people who come over haven't even mentioned it. Did have a group of guys over that thought it was cool. Other than that, no one has mentioned it.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

I have more new than old games. Still, when people see my Mega Drive and N64 cartridges they say…
1.   Why do you keep these old things?
2.   This still works?

As for my Steam, Wii U and PS3 collections…

1.   Are you rich?
2.   Why you don’t buy a PS4? It’s so much better!
3.   Have you played/beat all these games? (on daily basis)

In addition, as for my comic/manga collection, because I sure, you guys have heard this…

1.   Why don’t you open a store?
2.   Which title do you recommend? (It’s annoying when the person don’t know how to answer “what kind of thing you like?”. Which is 99% of times. How can anyone just say *insert genre here*)
3.   Do you like *Insert popular title*? (Than the person only knows that and won’t change the topic)

aliensstudios

Yeah, it's the stigma associated with video gaming in general. Most people assume if you collect video games and play them that you can't be anything other than a lonely, fat, nerd which simply isn't the case. I have tons of interests outside of video games like sports (baseball especially), mountain biking, film, reading, and lots of others. While I don't have a girlfriend right now, it is pretty funny that most people still scoff at the idea of collecting games and still have notions of what they believe a stereotypical gamer is.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

My mom is the worst.  It's always "When are you going to quit playing with toys?" or "All the money you've spent on that crap, you could have bought a new car." or something similar. 

It's quite hypocritical when she bashes me watching animated shows/movies (she refuses to watch anything animated) or playing video games when she watched the boob-tube 24/7 since she retired.   ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

soera

I guarantee almost everyone who bashes on gamers for being fat virgins or whatever have their own hobby that people could stereotype them for.

Im lucky that I dont deal with a lot of that. Cause I dont look or act like a typical "gamer" most people dont come at me with the BS.

gf78

I guarantee almost everyone who bashes on gamers for being fat virgins or whatever have their own hobby that people could stereotype them for.

Im lucky that I dont deal with a lot of that. Cause I dont look or act like a typical "gamer" most people dont come at me with the BS.

I don't fit that pigeonhole stereotype myself of unwashed, smelly, pimply-faced virgin.  My wife looks pretty decent if I do say so myself and I have two beautiful daughters.  I guess the most outward sign of my geekdom is a Darth Vader sticker in my back car window. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

doafan

GF/BF's are expensive.

Would like to say that you are right but after I got married she became twice expensive anyway only two questions have been made of my collection and both of them came from my wife, have to say that she only asked once because of my answer or should I say questions, answered her questions with more questions :D

- If they are becoming more expensive each day why you don't sell them ?
My kidney and heart are expensive too, do you want me to sell them ?
- Do you seriously need too have that many games ?
Do you seriously need to have that many pair of shoes ?

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

rayne315

the most annoying thing I get asked is whenever I make a large purchase my gf always asks "whats it worth and how much did you spend on it?" which is for the most part always cartridge based games.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

deftommo

A couple people at work ask me how I can stand to play "old" games, when I'm talking about PS3 stuff I still play...

I better not let them know I even go back as far as SNES sometimes...

rayne315

I thought of another annoying statement people make about my game collection.

"You have all those games and that is the best game you have?"

the context of this is from people who only play a few games religiously and think that what im playing right now is a game that I have been playing for the last 6 months straight or think that I only play titles in my collection that are 10/10 quality
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully