Author Topic: E3 Omnibus Thread  (Read 18052 times)

Re: E3 Omnibus Thread
« Reply #255 on: June 17, 2016, 10:31:00 am »
Dead Rising 4 is a timed exclusive.

Also, some amazing Zelda gifs.

http://imgur.com/a/an5z3

gf78

« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2016, 12:26:26 pm »
Dead Rising 4 is a timed exclusive.

Also, some amazing Zelda gifs.

http://imgur.com/a/an5z3

Capcom can eat my ass.  Won't buy it even if it comes to PS4. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2016, 12:46:34 pm »
I think Zelda actually looks a bit underwhelming, to be honest. It just looks like Far Cry: Primal with crappier graphics, really. Big open world thats empty of civilization but teaming with the dangers of nature, and lots of gathering, crafting, and traveling to go along with your battles.

I mean, I'll probably buy it and play it, because I do like Zelda and open-world, but it looked like they just couldn't decide. If they wanted to do a Zelda, then go all in with the Zelda lore, mythology, and fantasy-elements. If you want to do an open-world, then go all in and wow us with the breathtaking views and graphics, and detailed nature. It feels like they straddled the fence between the two, from what I saw.

It looked like God of War was going to go in the same direction, but it looked much more impressive.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:48:17 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2016, 01:46:28 pm »
I think Zelda actually looks a bit underwhelming, to be honest. It just looks like Far Cry: Primal with crappier graphics, really. Big open world thats empty of civilization but teaming with the dangers of nature, and lots of gathering, crafting, and traveling to go along with your battles.

I mean, I'll probably buy it and play it, because I do like Zelda and open-world, but it looked like they just couldn't decide. If they wanted to do a Zelda, then go all in with the Zelda lore, mythology, and fantasy-elements. If you want to do an open-world, then go all in and wow us with the breathtaking views and graphics, and detailed nature. It feels like they straddled the fence between the two, from what I saw.

It looked like God of War was going to go in the same direction, but it looked much more impressive.
They stated that there were no villages or people in the demo because spoilers.  There will definitely be villages and people in the final game.

gf78

« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2016, 03:28:22 pm »
Like I said, glad the Zelda fans are getting a new game but to me Nintendo's "innovations" with the title are tropes that we have been seeing in open world games for over 15 years.  And their reasoning why Link can't be female is absolutely mind boggling.  I'll just leave this here.

Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2016, 03:38:35 pm »
^ Make a new game with a new character if you want a female protagonist, or make a new playable female character in a Zelda game; no reason to change what's already been established.

kashell

« Reply #261 on: June 17, 2016, 03:50:48 pm »
Like I said, glad the Zelda fans are getting a new game but to me Nintendo's "innovations" with the title are tropes that we have been seeing in open world games for over 15 years.  And their reasoning why Link can't be female is absolutely mind boggling.  I'll just leave this here.

I don't know, Link is already kind of girly. White leotards? Green tunic above the knees? More accessories than Carrie Bradshaw?

« Reply #262 on: June 17, 2016, 04:01:49 pm »
^ Make a new game with a new character if you want a female protagonist, or make a new playable female character in a Zelda game; no reason to change what's already been established.

Isn't about changing what is established, it's just giving people options or adding to the story, and it actually works perfectly within the world they've created being that there have been something like 10 different Links spanning thousands of years and alternate realities.  Their excuses for Link not having a female option was completely ridiculous.  I would've respected them more had they said "It's just how we wanted the story, to have a male link", but they made some really pathetic excuse that made no sense.  I don't think it's a bad thing it's not an option, or maybe give Zelda the spotlight for once since her name is in the title, but don't make up lame reasons.  I think more people are just annoyed based on that alone than there not being an option.

Aside from that, this is the best and most exciting Zelda has ever looked to me and we still don't know most of the game really.  Sure, it's not breaking new ground in terms of the open world genre, but that it kinda picks out a lot of the best elements from the good open world games along with a few tricks of its own as me just super hyped to get this game.  I'm glad they decided to take a real jump into something more for Zelda, rather than letting it stagnate as we've seen them do with other properties.

« Reply #263 on: June 17, 2016, 04:38:28 pm »
Uh... I don't know what the deal is or where everyone is getting their information from.

The statement from Nintendo was basically "We looked into a female character and the decision made was that if we have a playable female character it should be Zelda.  If Zelda is the hero, does Link exist or matter?  If Link doesn't exist or matter it throws off the balance of the triforce."

« Reply #264 on: June 17, 2016, 05:21:52 pm »
Uh... I don't know what the deal is or where everyone is getting their information from.

The statement from Nintendo was basically "We looked into a female character and the decision made was that if we have a playable female character it should be Zelda.  If Zelda is the hero, does Link exist or matter?  If Link doesn't exist or matter it throws off the balance of the triforce."

Yeah, that's roughly what was said.  That doesn't change what I wrote in any way.  It's bad reasoning that makes little sense.  They can turn Link into a wolf who's ridden by a cursed queen from an alternate dimension, but trying to figure out what to do with Link if he wasn't the hero is a challenge?

And the idea of balance makes just as much sense in a situation where it's a male, male, and female.  The tri-force isn't about gender balance, it's about the balance between power, courage, and wisdom.  If they just wanted to make keep Link as he is, just say that.  It would annoy people less.

« Reply #265 on: June 17, 2016, 06:56:10 pm »

Yeah, that's roughly what was said.  That doesn't change what I wrote in any way.  It's bad reasoning that makes little sense.  They can turn Link into a wolf who's ridden by a cursed queen from an alternate dimension, but trying to figure out what to do with Link if he wasn't the hero is a challenge?

And the idea of balance makes just as much sense in a situation where it's a male, male, and female.  The tri-force isn't about gender balance, it's about the balance between power, courage, and wisdom.  If they just wanted to make keep Link as he is, just say that.  It would annoy people less.
I suppose the operative in the statement is "If the player character is female, she should be Zelda".  That is an absolutely valid opinion from the developers on why Link isn't female.

The balance refers to the tri-force, not gender balance.  The hero of the game SHOULD be the holder of the triforce of courage.

Honestly, it doesn't matter, people would be up in arms regardless.

« Reply #266 on: June 17, 2016, 07:15:24 pm »
I suppose the operative in the statement is "If the player character is female, she should be Zelda".  That is an absolutely valid opinion from the developers on why Link isn't female.

The balance refers to the tri-force, not gender balance.  The hero of the game SHOULD be the holder of the triforce of courage.

Yes, then she should probably be Zelda.  And if the balance is the problem, then give the triforce of courage to Zelda.  You aren't helping things here lol I could probably spend the next half hour writing up a dozen perfectly good setups where Zelda is the lead and Link is an NPC that would work out just fine within a LoZ story.  Still, there's more than a couple good reasons that Link having a female version makes sense, even if they don't want to admit it

Of course, a few people might still be annoyed if they had been more straightforward about just wanting to keep Link a guy, but this is only a thing because their blatantly bad reasoning.  Even Aonuma agreed that them being so hush hush on whether Link was male or not, with him looking extra androgynous lately factored in to this and why people were even discussing it in the first place.

« Reply #267 on: June 17, 2016, 09:36:44 pm »

Yes, then she should probably be Zelda.  And if the balance is the problem, then give the triforce of courage to Zelda.  You aren't helping things here lol I could probably spend the next half hour writing up a dozen perfectly good setups where Zelda is the lead and Link is an NPC that would work out just fine within a LoZ story.  Still, there's more than a couple good reasons that Link having a female version makes sense, even if they don't want to admit it

Of course, a few people might still be annoyed if they had been more straightforward about just wanting to keep Link a guy, but this is only a thing because their blatantly bad reasoning.  Even Aonuma agreed that them being so hush hush on whether Link was male or not, with him looking extra androgynous lately factored in to this and why people were even discussing it in the first place.
I actually just had this conversation with someone, and I stick with my statement.  Personally, I think it would be wrong to switch up who has which triforce.

You can make all the arguments you want and write all the setups you want, they have fan fic websites for that, but regardless, they made their decision and I am sure they will stand by it and the game will do well.

I think if Nintendo just straight up said no we will never let link be female because no, people would be angrier and claiming sexism.  Saying pathetic excuse causes less of an issue and it is fairly obvious Nintendo doesnt like being in those situations with their constant censorship of games when they come to NA.

« Reply #268 on: June 17, 2016, 10:30:05 pm »
I think if Nintendo just straight up said no we will never let link be female because no, people would be angrier and claiming sexism.  Saying pathetic excuse causes less of an issue and it is fairly obvious Nintendo doesnt like being in those situations with their constant censorship of games when they come to NA.

The "censorship" was rarely actually that, but mostly just localization.  Underage girls in skimpy clothing is less likely to fly here.  Only a couple instances might be considered proper censorship, like the breast scale in Xenoblade Chronicles X or the odd monster chest covering Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

I disagree that them saying Link would always be male would cause much of a fuss.  A couple people would complain, because they always do, but most people aren't demanding it, just thinking it would be cool and it 100% makes sense in the context of LoZ's universe to allow it to happen.  Or just use Zelda.  Either way, their reasoning was super dumb, but it'll blow over easy enough as everyone is still crazy excited for the game.

« Reply #269 on: June 18, 2016, 09:03:30 am »

The "censorship" was rarely actually that, but mostly just localization.  Underage girls in skimpy clothing is less likely to fly here.  Only a couple instances might be considered proper censorship, like the breast scale in Xenoblade Chronicles X or the odd monster chest covering Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

I disagree that them saying Link would always be male would cause much of a fuss.  A couple people would complain, because they always do, but most people aren't demanding it, just thinking it would be cool and it 100% makes sense in the context of LoZ's universe to allow it to happen.  Or just use Zelda.  Either way, their reasoning was super dumb, but it'll blow over easy enough as everyone is still crazy excited for the game.
you say it makes 100% sense, but it isn't your universe to decide what does and does not make sense in its context.  The fact that they made an excuse at all, and again a valid excuse because it comes from the designers themselves, proves that it doesn't make 100% sense.