Author Topic: July 2016 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 21898 times)

gf78

Re: July 2016 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2016, 03:06:33 pm »

Hey all, I've decided to stop lurking from the shadows and start posting here.  This is my most recent haul from last Saturday.  My brother and I drove around and hit up all the retro stores in the area. 

Most notable finds:

A Not for Resale copy of Jet Force Gemini N64 for $2.50
Pink Panther Pinkadelic Pursuit PS1 complete for $24.95- surprisingly a great game and very hard to find complete
Monster Rancher 4 PS2 complete for $45
Contra III and Super Castlevania IV SNES for $70 total
Sonic Adventure DC for $10
Road Rash Complete in Long Box for $10
A bunch of common to uncommon cheap ps1 games that I've wanted to try: Johnny Bazookatone, Mort the Chicken, Hexen, Codename Tenka, MDK, etc... between $2 to $7 each.
Some cheap PS2 games and Portable Ops PSP for $5!

So not exactly garage sale prices but definitely good deals in the retro market I live in. 

I'm been mostly a Playstation collector my whole life but I am starting to branch out into SNES and other cartridge based systems.

Welcome to the forum!  Sounds like a pretty cool haul and you can't go wrong with PlayStation games!   :P  You might want to check deeper into that not for resale copy of Jet Force Gemini.  It's possible it was a demo cart and they can bring in big money!  I just don't ever remember a not for resale copy of that game that was ever bundled with a system.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

desocietas

« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2016, 03:07:53 pm »
Hey all, I've decided to stop lurking from the shadows and start posting here.  This is my most recent haul from last Saturday.  My brother and I drove around and hit up all the retro stores in the area. 

Most notable finds:

Pink Panther Pinkadelic Pursuit PS1 complete for $24.95- surprisingly a great game and very hard to find complete
A bunch of common to uncommon cheap ps1 games that I've wanted to try: Johnny Bazookatone, Mort the Chicken, Hexen, Codename Tenka, MDK, etc... between $2 to $7 each.

So not exactly garage sale prices but definitely good deals in the retro market I live in. 

I'm been mostly a Playstation collector my whole life but I am starting to branch out into SNES and other cartridge based systems.

Welcome to the forums! Great haul! I love finding PS1 games at weird thrift stores because they're often tucked in with music CDs and, because of that, are cheap! Also, nice work with finding PO PSP! So difficult to find decent PSP games in the wild...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2016, 03:11:15 pm »
snip
Nice find on that Castlevania IV, apparently any Castlevania game after 2 is considered "obsecure".  :p

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2016, 04:37:12 pm »

Most notable finds:

Welcome to the forum!  Sounds like a pretty cool haul and you can't go wrong with PlayStation games!   :P  You might want to check deeper into that not for resale copy of Jet Force Gemini.  It's possible it was a demo cart and they can bring in big money!  I just don't ever remember a not for resale copy of that game that was ever bundled with a system.

Thanks man.  I've been digging into that Jet Force Gemini copy and found this rad article that talks about the differences.

http://micro-64.com/features/jfgnfr.shtml

Apparently there are a lot of weird minor changes and it's definitely a demo cart.  Might try to trade it to someone at a retro expo who collects nfr carts like this. 

Most notable finds:

Welcome to the forums! Great haul! I love finding PS1 games at weird thrift stores because they're often tucked in with music CDs and, because of that, are cheap! Also, nice work with finding PO PSP! So difficult to find decent PSP games in the wild...

Totally! I'm the same way.  A lot of the games were in a glass case and I made him pull out 20-30.  Clearly games that have sat there for months.  They have now found a loving home who appreciates all of their quirks and bizarre concepts for games. 

There's a few retro stores in my area that have pretty decent PSP selection.  Their prices have never been lower and now's the time to swipe em up before they get too expensive.

snip
Nice find on that Castlevania IV, apparently any Castlevania game after 2 is considered "obsecure".  :p

Thanks.  Yeah this one overpriced store I went to wanted $75 for castlevania IV.  Just absurd.   

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2016, 04:43:07 pm »
^ I'd say we're on the bubble with PS1. While you can find many games for cheap still, there's plenty of games that are starting to climb in value, a lot, on PS1. I had my eye on Einhander, for example, for too long. It's now approaching $100 on average.

So get em now before everyone else catches on.

PS2 and original XBox games are practically worthless, though. I can find most of those for about $5 a pop.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2016, 05:54:33 pm »
^ I'd say we're on the bubble with PS1. While you can find many games for cheap still, there's plenty of games that are starting to climb in value, a lot, on PS1. I had my eye on Einhander, for example, for too long. It's now approaching $100 on average.

So get em now before everyone else catches on.

PS2 and original XBox games are practically worthless, though. I can find most of those for about $5 a pop.

I totally agree.  My area way over values cartridge games to the point where every retro game store overvalues games $10-25 over average ebay prices.  I'm quickly realizing as I enter the world of SNES that everything I have to buy will have to be through CL, Ebay and Offer Up- (which is where I got contra and castlevania iv) 

But ps1 just slips under the radar, I catch them sleeping on prices all the time.  Just a few weeks ago, I got a mint copy of Clock Tower II for $45.  It's like they don't even care that these games are valuable. I'll gladly capitalize on it before they get smart.

I went to a pawn shop last weekend and I saw a copy of snowboard kids 2 for n64 with no price tag and when I asked for the price just cause I was curious, the guy jumped down my throat thinking I was going to try to lowball him.  It's just crazy.  And he wanted $55 for it.  That's over ebay pricing.  This pawn shop just spams craigslist saying they'll buy cartridges and they just try to flip 'em for way over asking.  Super lame.  Their selection sucked so I get the feeling that many people feel the same way about them.  But they don't give a shit about ps1 or any cd based stuff.  I just don't get it. 

Right now is the time to buy PS2 and Xbox too, most of the retro stores around me just want to get rid of all of it so they can make room for cartridge games.  There are a few ps2 games I still want to get on my list that are very pricy, .hack quarantine, kuon, echo night beyond, obscure but I have most of the other valuable ones I want. 

I just saw a mint copy of Einhander for 73 at a shop last weekend so there's still hope to get it below 100.  I occasionally see some Buy it Now's on ebay for 75. 

« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2016, 10:17:07 pm »
Finally broke down and got a less outrageously priced complete copy of Tomba!. Might sell my other copy in the mockup case.

spac316

« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2016, 10:29:22 pm »
Got Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter for Sega Saturn, Import.

azure

« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2016, 10:41:22 pm »
Got Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter for Sega Saturn, Import.

Funny, my friend ordered the same game, and also got it in the mail today.

gf78

« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2016, 09:25:12 am »
Right now is the time to buy PS2 and Xbox too, most of the retro stores around me just want to get rid of all of it so they can make room for cartridge games.  There are a few ps2 games I still want to get on my list that are very pricy, .hack quarantine, kuon, echo night beyond, obscure but I have most of the other valuable ones I want. 

I just saw a mint copy of Einhander for 73 at a shop last weekend so there's still hope to get it below 100.  I occasionally see some Buy it Now's on ebay for 75.

Too true on PS2 and Xbox games.  Most can be had dirt cheap.  The highest priced Xbox game I have seen is Conker Live & Reloaded which can be had for $35 on average for a complete, good condition copy.  I just picked up Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Voodoo Vince, both new/sealed in pristine packaging for under $15 each.  Most of the best games can be found for under $10 complete in great shape.  About the priciest Xbox games I have purchased (aside from Conker which I HAVEN'T bought yet) are some of the Star Wars games like Knights I & II and the pair of Battlefront games.  A lot of that is due to the renewed interest in Star Wars since the Disney acquisition. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2016, 09:33:12 am »

Too true on PS2 and Xbox games.  Most can be had dirt cheap.  The highest priced Xbox game I have seen is Conker Live & Reloaded which can be had for $35 on average for a complete, good condition copy.  I just picked up Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Voodoo Vince, both new/sealed in pristine packaging for under $15 each.  Most of the best games can be found for under $10 complete in great shape.  About the priciest Xbox games I have purchased (aside from Conker which I HAVEN'T bought yet) are some of the Star Wars games like Knights I & II and the pair of Battlefront games.  A lot of that is due to the renewed interest in Star Wars since the Disney acquisition.
This is pretty much the only reason why my PS2 and Xbox collections are so large, because nobody wants to hold on to them.  It's a dead market right now.  PS3 and 360 are dying, stores are already discounting titles, in a year or so, it'll be the perfect time to pick them up cheap.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2016, 12:49:11 pm »

This is pretty much the only reason why my PS2 and Xbox collections are so large, because nobody wants to hold on to them.  It's a dead market right now.  PS3 and 360 are dying, stores are already discounting titles, in a year or so, it'll be the perfect time to pick them up cheap.

I'd say we're already there, with 360 at least. I've already been filling in my XBox 360 collection with cheap titles. Most of my wishlist for 360 has been crossed off, and most of them acquired for under $10. I can list what I have left on my 360 wishlist right here, it's so small:

-Armored Core 4
-Blur
-Lost Odyssey
-Prototype 2

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2016, 12:54:47 pm »

Ended up finding a guy on Offer Up last night willing to sell most of his SNES collection to my brother and I. 

My brother ended up with Earthbound, Super Castlevania IV, Legend of Zelda Link to the past and F Zero for $220

and I got Castlevania Dracula X, Ghoul Patrol, Super Metroid, Mega Man Soccer, Earthworm Jim 1 +2 and TMNT Tournament Fighters for $280.

Definitely pricey, but well below market value.  Best part is he's got more games and is letting me have first dibs on anything he decides to sell. 

He also said he had some repros- Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Bahamut Lagoon, Star Fox 2, Clock Tower and probably others.  I know little to nothing about repros and how to value them.  Anyone got advice (Mostly interested in Clock Tower and Front Mission, but if he offers me a good deal, I might just take em all) on how much I should be willing to pay for a repro or a good site for assessing their value?  It doesn't look like Price Charting has any listings for repros.  I usually use eBay recent sold listings for market value, is that sufficient for the repro market?   And maybe also a guideline to ensure the cart is quality and will hold up long-term? 

Oh and I met the guy near a gamestop so I ended up heading there afterwards and got Dragon Quest IX DS, Final Fantasy III DS and Devil's Third WII U all complete for around $45 bucks total.  I had a 20% off coupon and used some reward coupons.  The gamestops around me are flooded with CIB DS games and most of them are in mint condition and super cheap.  Now's the time to buy their stash before it runs dry!

Resized images - PacPix
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:58:59 pm by pacpix »

gf78

« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2016, 01:27:30 pm »
I'd say we're already there, with 360 at least. I've already been filling in my XBox 360 collection with cheap titles. Most of my wishlist for 360 has been crossed off, and most of them acquired for under $10. I can list what I have left on my 360 wishlist right here, it's so small:

-Armored Core 4
-Blur
-Lost Odyssey
-Prototype 2

The PS3 is the same way.  There are games marked as low as <$1 at GameStop now.  Many are around the $2-3 price range.  Most are sub-$15 now.  A great place to look for games that aren't particularly special and/or valuable right now is eBay.  I've been seeing sellers with whole cases of games dirt cheap.  There was one I came across with new/sealed copies of Modern Warfare 3 for the 360 for $3.63 each w/free shipping. 

telly

« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2016, 03:43:35 pm »
Bought a couple games from doctorlaudanum! Excited to play Metal Gear Solid 1 for the first time :)

Also 1000 posts holllaaaaaa
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery