Author Topic: Pokemon go  (Read 14818 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: Anyone else bitten by the Pokemon Go bug yet?
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2016, 09:57:57 pm »
 i think its cool, well mabey cool is not the right word but it can be fun.

necrosexual

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2016, 03:55:09 am »
my entire fucking restaurant has basically crashed as a result of this shit lmao
everyone is playing it. the hardest worker we have will wander off sometimes to catch shit out of the oven or w/e.
one of the managers will drop everything and catch shit.

it's kind of insane.

i'm waiting to hear that server issues are resolved. honestly, nothing pisses me off more than shitty servers. was going to school as a server admin/network admin, so it's a big peeve of mine. once i hear it's been stabilised i might hop on. i'd prefer starting in autumn/winter anyway, i'm allergic to the heat ngl.
running around in this heat, fuck that.

i'm sure i'm not at the only workplace in the world that has been infected by GO and the rumblings of (very true) rumours that one of two managers is set to leave in two weeks.
we're all getting lethargic, the entire OG crew is leaving barring about three of us, and now we have a neat distraction

(while the GM and i stay stuck in the past smoking out back and playing slither.io on "official business"
place is going to shit lmao)

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

gf78

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2016, 09:00:46 am »
I think the idea is interesting, especially the aspect of actually getting people off their asses and moving.  Unfortunately, the game further illustrates just how full of imbeciles 'murica is full of.  There are idiots falling over shit, stopping in the middle of traffic and wandering into all kinds of seedy locales and getting their asses beat.  I guess Japan doesn't have those parts of the city you just shouldn't wander into, but it's a real problem here.

My personal issue with this "game" is that it's a free-to-play that is getting more attention than any game...well, just about ever.  But I guess it's good for Nintendo since they seem to be making a killing on it.  It should tell them that putting their games on popular, good selling hardware will make them money.  Not this goofy, gimmicky systems they release.   ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2016, 09:13:29 am »
It should tell them that putting their games on popular, good selling hardware will make them money.  Not this goofy, gimmicky systems they release.   ::)
I disagree with you.  Miitomo did well for a few days and died.  It's entirely possible PokemonGO will do the same, but it does seem more sustainable compared to Miitomo.  Regardless, Pokemon GO is doing so fantastic because the game is basically what every Pokemon player has dreamed of.  I don't think the same level of hype, attention, and profitability would apply to say Super Mario on your phone.

Also, I vote yes to merging the topics.

gf78

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2016, 11:21:41 am »
It should tell them that putting their games on popular, good selling hardware will make them money.  Not this goofy, gimmicky systems they release.   ::)
I disagree with you.  Miitomo did well for a few days and died.  It's entirely possible PokemonGO will do the same, but it does seem more sustainable compared to Miitomo.  Regardless, Pokemon GO is doing so fantastic because the game is basically what every Pokemon player has dreamed of.  I don't think the same level of hype, attention, and profitability would apply to say Super Mario on your phone.

I wasn't speaking of cell phones only, but of console hardware as well.  If Nintendo released Pokémon Go on the 3DS only, you would have a maximum of 60 million people playing it - which admittedly is quite a lot - if everyone who owned a 3DS were playing it.  We know that's never going to happen.  However, how many cell phones are out there?  A billion active?  More?  It's a much larger potential audience.

Same goes for the console games.  Nintendo could theoretically sell a maximum of 12.3 million copies of a game for Wii U.  Mario Kart 8 is their highest selling game at 8 million which is super impressive.  Now imagine that Mario Kart 8 was available on the PS4 and Xbox One which currently have a combined install base of over 60 million.  It would be a huge revenue stream.  And is that any different really than what they have already done - releasing games on non-Nintendo cell phone hardware?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2016, 11:33:29 am »

I wasn't speaking of cell phones only, but of console hardware as well.  If Nintendo released Pokémon Go on the 3DS only, you would have a maximum of 60 million people playing it - which admittedly is quite a lot - if everyone who owned a 3DS were playing it.  We know that's never going to happen.  However, how many cell phones are out there?  A billion active?  More?  It's a much larger potential audience.

Same goes for the console games.  Nintendo could theoretically sell a maximum of 12.3 million copies of a game for Wii U.  Mario Kart 8 is their highest selling game at 8 million which is super impressive.  Now imagine that Mario Kart 8 was available on the PS4 and Xbox One which currently have a combined install base of over 60 million.  It would be a huge revenue stream.  And is that any different really than what they have already done - releasing games on non-Nintendo cell phone hardware?
That's going on the assumption that the folks who would buy it for X1/PS4 wouldn't be the same people who would buy the Nintendo system + the game.  If that 8 million only became 9 million, it might not be worth it in the long run (assuming Nintendo is selling systems at a profit)

But yes, I get what you are saying.

gf78

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2016, 02:48:35 pm »
That's going on the assumption that the folks who would buy it for X1/PS4 wouldn't be the same people who would buy the Nintendo system + the game.  If that 8 million only became 9 million, it might not be worth it in the long run (assuming Nintendo is selling systems at a profit)

I was thinking more along the lines of Nintendo ditching their hardware business altogether.  In that case, you go from (example:  right now) an install base of 12.3 million customers to 60+ million customers. 

People point to Sega going 3rd party as some kind of "cautionary tale" and the reason Nintendo shouldn't do the same.  Sega didn't flounder because they got out of the hardware business.  Sega floundered because they scuttled studios, combined others and generally starting making some really crappy games.  In fact, some of Sega's very best games IMO were released when they went 3rd party.  Toejam & Earl III, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crazy Taxi 3, Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Sega GT 2002/Online, Virtua Fighter 4....Sega fired out of the gate with fantastic games and ports of the Dreamcast's best.  Later, they just pretty much starting churning out crap.

Nintendo would only have to continue making quality games like they do now and not worry about the hardware side.  They would instantly have quintuple the audience, using today's installed base as a reference.  They wouldn't lose any fans because people who can't live without Mario, Zelda and Pokémon (among others) are going to buy the system these games are on.  They will also gain sales along the way from those people who would never buy a Nintendo system.

Look, what Nintendo has been doing for decades now is not working.  They cannot dictate terms to 3rd parties like they did in the early days because these publishers just flock to Sony and Microsoft.  Their stubborn refusal to change & adapt with the times has proven time & again, generation after generation that their business structure is unsustainable. 

They finally cave after several years and release the Amiibo's.  Nintendo stepped out of their comfort zone and tried something new.  THEY MADE A LOT OF MONEY!

They finally release a real mobile game/app after years of refusing to budge on it.  THEY MADE A LOT OF MONEY!

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2016, 04:01:35 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of Nintendo ditching their hardware business altogether.  In that case, you go from (example:  right now) an install base of 12.3 million customers to 60+ million customers. 

People point to Sega going 3rd party as some kind of "cautionary tale" and the reason Nintendo shouldn't do the same.  Sega didn't flounder because they got out of the hardware business.  Sega floundered because they scuttled studios, combined others and generally starting making some really crappy games.  In fact, some of Sega's very best games IMO were released when they went 3rd party.  Toejam & Earl III, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crazy Taxi 3, Gunvalkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future, Sega GT 2002/Online, Virtua Fighter 4....Sega fired out of the gate with fantastic games and ports of the Dreamcast's best.  Later, they just pretty much starting churning out crap.

Nintendo would only have to continue making quality games like they do now and not worry about the hardware side.  They would instantly have quintuple the audience, using today's installed base as a reference.  They wouldn't lose any fans because people who can't live without Mario, Zelda and Pokémon (among others) are going to buy the system these games are on.  They will also gain sales along the way from those people who would never buy a Nintendo system.

Look, what Nintendo has been doing for decades now is not working.  They cannot dictate terms to 3rd parties like they did in the early days because these publishers just flock to Sony and Microsoft.  Their stubborn refusal to change & adapt with the times has proven time & again, generation after generation that their business structure is unsustainable. 

They finally cave after several years and release the Amiibo's.  Nintendo stepped out of their comfort zone and tried something new.  THEY MADE A LOT OF MONEY!

They finally release a real mobile game/app after years of refusing to budge on it.  THEY MADE A LOT OF MONEY!
I didn't word that well.  I was stating that if Nintendo stopped producing consoles and sold their games on PS4/X1, but their games only sold a fraction more by releasing on other platforms, it wouldn't necessarily be the best choice for them, especially if their console is being sold at a profit.  8mil sales + console profits might be better than 9mil sales alone.  It's an example.  You can't say for certain that more people would buy it if it were on more platforms, as far as you know they'd still only sell that many.  But again, I get what you are saying.

Some of Nintendo's 3rd party rules are a little ridiculous, but they have been changing their rules for the better for the last few years (IMO they are the most indie friendly).  But their rules are in place to prevent the platform from being bloated with broken and trash software.  Feel free to correct me, but I've never in my life played a game on a Nintendo console that felt broken and untested like every single piece of software released for X1/PS4.  Nowadays you get a new game, but it feels like it's still in its beta stages.  I've not had that experience with a game on a Nintendo platform.  I've seen plenty of times companies release software on platforms but the Nintendo version is delayed because Nintendo's QA department said No-go, fix these issues first.  A lot of folks believe these rules shouldn't exist in this day and age, because we aren't in the world of the 1980's Atari run pre-crash market, and maybe that's true, but I have nothing against it.

But at this point, I don't think it's Nintendo's 3rd party rules that are keeping devs away, it's the outdated and difficult hardware to work with.

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2016, 04:21:39 pm »

Miitomo's problem is that there isn't anything to do in it.  The minigame thing is boring and limited and the social interaction is minimal and boring.  I still interact with it, mostly because it's like 5 minutes at night and I keep up on clothing items I like for the costumes and such, but if it had more minigames and things to really do, it might've been interesting.  Pokemon Go has a much more engaging game and collecting aspect to it, with lots of expandibility to keep it fresh for quite awhile.  It's also very useful as an exercise tool to get people moving, which is a big pull for me.  I'm more interested to get out for walks and such, even in the heat.

rayne315

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2016, 04:51:54 pm »

Miitomo's problem is that there isn't anything to do in it.  The minigame thing is boring and limited and the social interaction is minimal and boring.  I still interact with it, mostly because it's like 5 minutes at night and I keep up on clothing items I like for the costumes and such, but if it had more minigames and things to really do, it might've been interesting.  Pokemon Go has a much more engaging game and collecting aspect to it, with lots of expandibility to keep it fresh for quite awhile.  It's also very useful as an exercise tool to get people moving, which is a big pull for me.  I'm more interested to get out for walks and such, even in the heat.

lol same here I got the app on Wednesday when I noticed it dropped and since then my daily steps has gone from a measly 3000-4000 to well over 10,000+ (yesterday my step counter showed 22,000) and yesterday I even went on a 10 mile bike ride to grab some more pokeballs and to hatch all my eggs fast. unintended side effects of the app was actually finding 3 of my co-workers all out doing the same thing as me, even one that if you looked at him you would NOT expect him to be into pokemon.

Also pokemon go is on a tried formula that even after 3+ years of operation has over 1 million active users (ingress) and is a lot less visible than the pokemon franchise, so I do not expect Go to go anywhere anytime soon.

side note did anyone else buy Nintendo stock before the release of go?
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

Re: Pokemon go
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2016, 07:56:39 pm »
I just realized that it'll take 100 Magikarp to get a Gyrados lol

desocietas

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2016, 08:19:43 pm »

I thought it was 200? I read it was 400 candies to evolve, and you get one candy per catch and one per transfer...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2016, 08:23:44 pm »

I thought it was 200? I read it was 400 candies to evolve, and you get one candy per catch and one per transfer...

You get 3 candies per catch and 1 per transfer.

desocietas

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2016, 09:48:30 pm »

You get 3 candies per catch and 1 per transfer.

Ahhh, my mistake! I wasn't paying much attention to those numbers...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2016, 10:36:40 pm »
Is it bad that I want this to happen to someone so badly with this game?