Author Topic: Pokemon go  (Read 15869 times)

tripredacus

Re: Pokemon go
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2016, 04:49:42 pm »
I'm fairly certain that the ability to catch pokemon has nothing to do with the neighborhood you are in. It seems to be based on time/distance (on average) before a new one shows up. Today I had difficulty being able to login. It stinks because I went to a big town festival thing, walking all over the place but it wouldn't login until after I had left. Also I have found that some times there is a pokestop inside of a building, but GPS doesn't work inside the building. So I was technically there but the app couldn't tell and kept saying I was too far away. Then I move toward it (based on the map) and the avatar has a walking motion but doesn't move.

The only complaint I have about it so far is that it gets stuck a lot. Not freezing up like I've seen some people say. You can tell there is a communication issue because the maps has you in the correct place, but nothing will show up on the map. You just have the pokeball animation going. The way I have to fix it is to force close the app from the Battery page in settings (not in running applications, oddly enough) and then re-open it. Its a pain to go through that process.

telly

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2016, 06:32:20 pm »
Yeah, I think one of the biggest problems I have with it are the buggy connection issues.

It also really isn't that fun if you're in a rural area. The Pokestops, Gyms, Pokemon, playing with other people... you really need to be in a more populated area to experience the game to the fullest.
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2016, 03:08:52 pm »
Went to a couple hundred person meetup today at a local downtown park and had the best hunting time.  Lures everywhere, lots of people hunting.  Got tons of new pokemon, lots of leveling, and it's really great when uncommons or rares show up as people were looking for an Alakazahm in the area, a Rhyhorn, and an Arcanine.  Tried to catch the Arcanine before my battery died, but used up all my pokeballs.

Probably gonna start going to this park every few days and wander the area as there's easily a dozen pokestops and apparently the three in this one spot have regular lures on it.

telly

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2016, 03:14:44 pm »
That's what I do too; there's a section of three Pokestops in one area and people always put lures on it, so I always go there to look for Pokemon. There's always at least 15-20 people there each time I go. One time there was a guy playing music from R/B/Y on a saxophone, it was awesome  :D
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

necrosexual

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2016, 03:53:21 pm »
hoo boy found this on consumerist.
might wanna fire up those emails. just tossing this out here.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:55:07 am by tripredacus »

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

tripredacus

« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2016, 10:54:27 am »
It is interesting about how my own behaviour is somewhat changing. Usually, if I needed to go to the store to get something, I would drive there. Now I can think, I can walk and catch pokemon along the way. Alas, a lot of those times this weekend, the servers have been busy... so I drove instead.

hoo boy found this on consumerist.
might wanna fire up those emails. just tossing this out here.

Many companies have this. I believe that Sony was the first to have such a clause after PSN got hacked.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2016, 01:50:38 pm »
nvm
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 03:00:01 pm by fazerco »

« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2016, 05:00:00 pm »
At first I felt like I didn't want regular Pokemon again after the casual experience of Go, because I'm not much for handhelds anymore, but I've wanted to play again lately, but still not on handheld.  It's made me realize how much I would love a proper Pokemon game on consoles.  If the NX does well, does anyone think they'll put any real effort into a proper big Pokemon game on the system? Something more than just a Snap or a Stadium type of experience, but like a 3D open world where you can find and catch Pokemon just out in the world.  I wonder if Pokken is them kinda dabbling into different experiences for the consoles, testing the waters.  Game Freak doesn't even have to do it themselves, they could just work with another company to make it like with Pokken.

To make it even easier, they don't have to introduce new Pokemon, though maybe just a few special ones, since they have 700 Pokemon right now and could just utilize all of them for a console game.  In the meantime, I guess I'll just look at handheld emulators on the PC to get my experience out of them.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see a proper Pokemon on console.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:03:06 pm by kamikazekeeg »

rayne315

« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2016, 05:15:53 pm »
I'm fairly certain that the ability to catch pokemon has nothing to do with the neighborhood you are in. It seems to be based on time/distance (on average) before a new one shows up. Today I had difficulty being able to login. It stinks because I went to a big town festival thing, walking all over the place but it wouldn't login until after I had left. Also I have found that some times there is a pokestop inside of a building, but GPS doesn't work inside the building. So I was technically there but the app couldn't tell and kept saying I was too far away. Then I move toward it (based on the map) and the avatar has a walking motion but doesn't move.

The only complaint I have about it so far is that it gets stuck a lot. Not freezing up like I've seen some people say. You can tell there is a communication issue because the maps has you in the correct place, but nothing will show up on the map. You just have the pokeball animation going. The way I have to fix it is to force close the app from the Battery page in settings (not in running applications, oddly enough) and then re-open it. Its a pain to go through that process.

If you download ingress and look at the maps for your area you can figure out where all the most active pokemon spawn points are. on ingress there are these white dots (exotic matter) that will spawn randomly throughout the map and where you see large amounts of it clustered all together you will find quicker and more spawning pokemon in pokemon go.

I used it at my work to figure out where all the major spawn locations are to help if a rare pokemon shows up. there are 5 clusters around me (that will be detectable on 3 footprint radar from my desk) 1  directly on top of me 1 near the cafeteria 1 in the cafeteria 1 10 feet from the entrance to the factory and 1 in the middle of the parking lot. so if a rare pokemon spawns I at least know the locations to walk to to be able to catch it
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

spac316

« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2016, 11:10:22 pm »
It certainly is giving Nintendo a boost in stocks. They certainly needed it after the lackluster sales of the Wii U.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/18/nintendo-breaks-stock-market-records-thanks-to-pokemon

« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2016, 11:15:18 pm »
It certainly is giving Nintendo a boost in stocks. They certainly needed it after the lackluster sales of the Wii U.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/18/nintendo-breaks-stock-market-records-thanks-to-pokemon

They needed at least SOMETHING to keep them going with their weak second half of the year lol Aside from Pokemon, there's not much else big coming out.  Pokemon in particular will probably do better than usual as the Pokemon hype is at an all time high.

spac316

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2016, 03:15:56 am »
^ Yeah and now apparently they are worth more than Sony for the time being.
http://enthusiast.gg/1942/nintendo-is-now-worth-more-than-sony

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2016, 05:05:36 am »
^ Yeah and now apparently they are worth more than Sony for the time being.
http://enthusiast.gg/1942/nintendo-is-now-worth-more-than-sony

And all it took was a busted, feature lacking, phone app lol

gf78

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2016, 02:50:07 pm »
Ok...I tried this game/app out and my feelings haven't changed much from when Pokémon first came out:  I don't really care.  I think it's great it has people out moving and all, but there just isn't any appeal for me.  My wife and I were sitting in Fazoli's and we both downloaded it.  We caught a few Pokémon sitting there.  She was looking for them on the map on our way home. 

Basically, all I saw the game was is that at random a Pokémon will pop up.  Looking at it through the camera, it's just a little figure superimposed on what's in front of you.  You then flick balls at it's head to "capture" it with no particularly interesting animation to it.  Ok......

Like I said, glad that you all are enjoying it and be safe while doing it.  It's not for me.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

spac316

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2016, 10:20:15 pm »
Welp, I just downloaded it. I like it.