Author Topic: Ever get gaming burnout? What about people who sell their collection?  (Read 3113 times)

dreama1

Ever get gaming burnout/depression? What about people who sell their collection?

Would you do it ever or is the idea total insanity/madness to you?

Speak freely.

anagar

I get burnout on playing game about every other month. Unfortunately its usually when I have free time and I don't go back for about 2-4 weeks. I play like crazy when I have projects due but I guess that's cause I've always turned to games to help me de-stress.   

People have their reasons to sell off their collection but I wouldn't sell my collection unless I absolutely had to. I traded games in once when I was in middle school cause "I was too cool to play kids games" I regret it so much.
PSN,Wii U/NID:ANA_GAR XBL:ANAGARXB 3DS/FC:4441-9981-8329

dreama1

I get burnout on playing game about every other month. Unfortunately its usually when I have free time and I don't go back for about 2-4 weeks. I play like crazy when I have projects due but I guess that's cause I've always turned to games to help me de-stress.   

People have their reasons to sell off their collection but I wouldn't sell my collection unless I absolutely had to. I traded games in once when I was in middle school cause "I was too cool to play kids games" I regret it so much.
It sounds like procrastination in your case? I mean before you have projects.

necrosexual

i stay in perpetual burnout not going to lie.
i continue to buy because i honestly prefer the act of hunting and buying games.
when i get stressed, i buy things. it's counterintuitive when half the stress is monetary issues, but even then, i feel like buying vidya is a better investment than buying junk food and shit (which, yes, i have done as well, buying $20+ in junk food that was gone in the next couple days tops, which i always regret immensely). i hate buying consumables, it stresses me out more, so... so yea it's counterintuitive sometimes, but i get my bills paid and scrape by. if i'm gonna buy shit to de-stress... might as well be something i won't see disappear.

i don't play a lot. i wish i could play 5+ hrs a day, but the reality is, is i don't.

i actually HAVE sold my collection before, though, back when i hit the 100 milestone the first time. i regret it (a lot of fucking great shit in that pile, ugh, including a lot of expensive and rare GCN titles) but at the time i didn't. it actually put me back down into the range of ~20-30 titles, which felt 'manageable'. if anything, half the reason i burnout so much on games is when i look at my backlog, i feel overwhelmed. 300 games, many of which i've not touched tbh, and it gets overbearing. "what do i even start with?" is a horribly nagging feeling i feel which results in me touching nothing and doing something else. i procrastinate my backlog.

i enjoy games when i push past that and play them.
but it's the process of pushing past the depression and burned out feeling and procrastination that keeps me not playing games sometimes for months at a time.
it's a product of 'all or nothing' mentality... it's hard to break that mentality.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

anagar

It sounds like procrastination in your case? I mean before you have projects.

I do procrastinate but I always stress myself out when I don't really need to. I mean I could be done with a project had it looked over and it be good but still worry. So I guess I'm saying I play when I am stressed/depressed cause I just always done that.
But yeah there are times when I get like a 4 day weekend and get luck to where all my professors say to their classes to take it easy and I get excited to have some free time. But when I go home sit and look at my shelf and just not feel like playing anything.
PSN,Wii U/NID:ANA_GAR XBL:ANAGARXB 3DS/FC:4441-9981-8329

dreama1

i continue to buy because i honestly prefer the act of hunting and buying games.
when i get stressed, i buy things. it's counterintuitive when half the stress is monetary issues, but even then, i feel like buying vidya is a better investment than buying junk food and shit (which, yes, i have done as well, buying $20+ in junk food that was gone in the next couple days tops, which i always regret immensely). i hate buying consumables, it stresses me out more, so... so yea it's counterintuitive sometimes, but i get my bills paid and scrape by. if i'm gonna buy shit to de-stress... might as well be something i won't see disappear.

i don't play a lot. i wish i could play 5+ hrs a day, but the reality is, is i don't.

i actually HAVE sold my collection before, though, back when i hit the 100 milestone the first time. i regret it (a lot of fucking great shit in that pile, ugh, including a lot of expensive and rare GCN titles) but at the time i didn't. it actually put me back down into the range of ~20-30 titles, which felt 'manageable'. if anything, half the reason i burnout so much on games is when i look at my backlog, i feel overwhelmed. 300 games, many of which i've not touched tbh, and it gets overbearing. "what do i even start with?" is a horribly nagging feeling i feel which results in me touching nothing and doing something else. i procrastinate my backlog.

but it's the process of pushing past the depression and burned out feeling and procrastination that keeps me not playing games sometimes for months at a time.
it's a product of 'all or nothing' mentality... it's hard to break that mentality.
Do you find yourself focusing on one game when you play? Or do you jump around?

necrosexual

usually i try to focus on one then get overwhelmed all over again and jump around and burnout.

so kinda random lol
why?

dreama1

usually i try to focus on one then get overwhelmed all over again and jump around and burnout.

so kinda random lol
why?
Just wondering I find myself bouncing around a lot through many games. Seems some people just focus on one game and tank it a couple of days then move on.

necrosexual

so kinda random lol
why?
Just wondering I find myself bouncing around a lot through many games. Seems some people just focus on one game and tank it a couple of days then move on.

oh yea
i kinda switch between both. i beat sly cooper and the thievius raccoonus (as the ps3 collection, with platinum trophy) in 3 days between work, sleeping and being home, i only focused on it, but i also seem to jump back and forth between games.

when i'm burnt out tho like rn, i mainly stick to animal crossing new leaf and maybe i pick up my vita occasionally.
i play casual and chill games when i'm really just unable to play anything else i guess.

kashell

Ever get gaming burnout/depression? What about people who sell their collection?

Speak freely.

I'll answer the second question first: hellz no, I refuse to sell this collection. If money starts becoming an issue, I can figure out something.

As for the first question, I don't think so. Sure, there are times where I just stare at the backlog for too long thinking about what should be the next game I start and end up replaying something I've beaten countless times such as Shinobi (PS2), Power Stone 2, one of the Mega Mans or Mega Man Xs, etc. But I still enjoy my time gaming. When I eventually do start something new, 99% of the time I am happy with the decision. Even with games that take a while to finish such as Star Ocean 4 or Final Fantasy XIII, I usually enjoy the journey every step of the way. Of course, there might be some bumps in the road.

Re: Ever get gaming burnout? What about people who sell their collection?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 08:59:50 am »
I'm gonna answer that second question first, because I can collect my thoughts on that one.  I've known people who have sold their collection, and they had mighty collections.  Then a year or two later they start collecting again.  Only one person have I seen not revert back to collecting, but I think collecting ruined a relationship for him, so maybe he knows better or something.  On several occasions I have thought about selling my collection and doing something more "productive", but the only "productive" thing I can think to do is to go back into game design, which wouldn't be bad.  I've got the skills, knowledge, and tools to make games, and I'm an approved Wii U developer by Nintendo.  I've just never done anything with that knowledge short of proof of concepts and prototypes.  I usually get something working and playable, have some folks test it, say it's great, and then I stop working on it. 

I don't think I'll ever sell my collection, but I could see one day down the line, getting fed up and selling off more than half of my collection.  I was pretty burnt out with collecting... back in... 2014?  Maybe it was 2015.  I did most of my "online" collecting through a fairly prominent Facebook group, it wasn't a very good group, admins were always power tripping and scamming folks.  Eventually I got fed up and continuously called the admins on their shit until I started getting banned from other groups because the admins threatened to ban their groups members if they didn't ban me.  I pretty much don't do any of that group BS any more.  I pretty much stopped collecting for about 6 months because of it.  The main leader of that group is relatively local to me.  So I stopped going to places I knew I might run into him at, because I have temper problems and the guy is like 4' 8" and I'd be too tempted to throw his Bobby Lee looking midget ass.  He later opened up a shop another city over, he massively scammed hundreds of folks over stuff like NWC carts and stuff.  I wanna say this whole thing was mentioned on some prominent podcasts.  People threatened to kill him and burn down his store, so he shut down his store for a while, renamed the business, and now he pretty much doesn't leave his store and he sends his cronies to flea markets and stuff to get more stuff to scam folks with.  Guy was a real Crook, fam.

As for burnout... Sometimes.  Usually burnout revolves around one thing or another for me.  I was pretty burnt out after playing through the entire Assassin's Creed franchise recently, I think I took a day or two and stopped playing games altogether and then I did a kind of pallet cleanser and played some random games.  Sometimes I just get tired of playing altogether and I'll spend a day or two just watching Netflix or something.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 09:37:30 am »

Burnout happens.  Depression (for some) happens. 
About a year and a half ago, I got to really low spot.  I didn't enjoy anything.  My collection and the games themselves included.  I got some help and got my life back in order and now, I'm back to enjoying these crazy things. 

I've had a few fleeting thoughts about selling out.  It's usually about the time that someone sell a collection for $100k.  I look around and think, "Damn, I should just sell out and buy a house/truck/toy/whatever.  I could gain a bedroom and just emulate everything."
It's fleeting. I've put too much work into this and spent too much time.  On top of that, I enjoy having it.  I'm not stopping now.

dreama1

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 10:06:34 am »

Burnout happens.  Depression (for some) happens. 
About a year and a half ago, I got to really low spot.  I didn't enjoy anything.  My collection and the games themselves included.  I got some help and got my life back in order and now, I'm back to enjoying these crazy things. 

I've had a few fleeting thoughts about selling out.  It's usually about the time that someone sell a collection for $100k.  I look around and think, "Damn, I should just sell out and buy a house/truck/toy/whatever.  I could gain a bedroom and just emulate everything."
It's fleeting. I've put too much work into this and spent too much time.  On top of that, I enjoy having it.  I'm not stopping now.

"It's fleeting. I've put too much work into this and spent too much time. "
You mean you're to far deep in it to back out now? And if you hadn't, it's possibly you wouldn't be doing this, or?

dreama1

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 10:08:47 am »
I'm gonna answer that second question first, because I can collect my thoughts on that one.  I've known people who have sold their collection, and they had mighty collections.  Then a year or two later they start collecting again.  Only one person have I seen not revert back to collecting, but I think collecting ruined a relationship for him, so maybe he knows better or something.  On several occasions I have thought about selling my collection and doing something more "productive", but the only "productive" thing I can think to do is to go back into game design, which wouldn't be bad.  I've got the skills, knowledge, and tools to make games, and I'm an approved Wii U developer by Nintendo.  I've just never done anything with that knowledge short of proof of concepts and prototypes.  I usually get something working and playable, have some folks test it, say it's great, and then I stop working on it. 

I don't think I'll ever sell my collection, but I could see one day down the line, getting fed up and selling off more than half of my collection.  I was pretty burnt out with collecting... back in... 2014?  Maybe it was 2015.  I did most of my "online" collecting through a fairly prominent Facebook group, it wasn't a very good group, admins were always power tripping and scamming folks.  Eventually I got fed up and continuously called the admins on their shit until I started getting banned from other groups because the admins threatened to ban their groups members if they didn't ban me.  I pretty much don't do any of that group BS any more.  I pretty much stopped collecting for about 6 months because of it.  The main leader of that group is relatively local to me.  So I stopped going to places I knew I might run into him at, because I have temper problems and the guy is like 4' 8" and I'd be too tempted to throw his Bobby Lee looking midget ass.  He later opened up a shop another city over, he massively scammed hundreds of folks over stuff like NWC carts and stuff.  I wanna say this whole thing was mentioned on some prominent podcasts.  People threatened to kill him and burn down his store, so he shut down his store for a while, renamed the business, and now he pretty much doesn't leave his store and he sends his cronies to flea markets and stuff to get more stuff to scam folks with.  Guy was a real Crook, fam.

As for burnout... Sometimes.  Usually burnout revolves around one thing or another for me.  I was pretty burnt out after playing through the entire Assassin's Creed franchise recently, I think I took a day or two and stopped playing games altogether and then I did a kind of pallet cleanser and played some random games.  Sometimes I just get tired of playing altogether and I'll spend a day or two just watching Netflix or something.
Thank you for your honesty.

"ruined a relationship for him"
Hmm.. I mean I have some ideas, but how?

"I've known people who have sold their collection, and they had mighty collections.  Then a year or two later they start collecting again."

I think it's quite a bizarre phenomenon. I can understand selling your collection when you're young and regretting it later, or just needing sell for the finances/family obligations in semi-adulthood. But to just sell off randomly like its purge then rebuy; then damn..., some even sell the collection again?

Idk I just find pretty weird/strange to me, and usually pretty hush hush when its mentioned as to why?, or not given much detail/depth. Some of them howeverwhen they sell off their collection, they just disappear basically or some have almost like a kind of "religious" (metaphorical terms)  fanatical negative outlook on anything about, or related to video games, or those "who play" video games after they sell off. Sometimes as I said but usually just go cold turkey and disappear, still worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:23:13 am by dreama1 »

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 12:56:41 pm »
Thank you for your honesty.

"ruined a relationship for him"
Hmm.. I mean I have some ideas, but how?

"I've known people who have sold their collection, and they had mighty collections.  Then a year or two later they start collecting again."

I think it's quite a bizarre phenomenon. I can understand selling your collection when you're young and regretting it later, or just needing sell for the finances/family obligations in semi-adulthood. But to just sell off randomly like its purge then rebuy; then damn..., some even sell the collection again?

Idk I just find pretty weird/strange to me, and usually pretty hush hush when its mentioned as to why?, or not given much detail/depth. Some of them howeverwhen they sell off their collection, they just disappear basically or some have almost like a kind of "religious" (metaphorical terms)  fanatical negative outlook on anything about, or related to video games, or those "who play" video games after they sell off. Sometimes as I said but usually just go cold turkey and disappear, still worth mentioning.
The ruined relationship is pretty simple to understand.  Either it is physically taking up too much space or time, or it is something that is like an addiction.  It can get unhealthy.

A friend sold off his collection because he said he was finding himself spending $1k a week on games, and he didn't like it, so he sold his collection and moved on because he felt it was unhealthy.  Now he is collecting again, but he is doing it differently, he feels it's manageable now and he is going at it without being obsessed or anything.

I also know folks who just really like the hunt, so they collect to a point, sell everything off, and start over.

I know I'm pretty unhealthy about it.  I buy just about anything I find, regardless of whether or not I'm interested in playing it.  I also pay really really low for my finds, so at least I can easily get my money back.  I'm obsessed with hunting and finding goodies.  But, if you follow my progress with the 52 week challenge, I also love playing games, but I definitely obtain games faster than I beat games.