Author Topic: Metroid's 30th Anniversary is Aug. 5th  (Read 4118 times)

soera

Re: Metroid's 30th Anniversary is Aug. 5th
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 03:59:45 pm »
The bottom line is, Nintendo is a Japanese company and is more attuned to Japanese sensibility. I don't remember if it was Super Metroid or Metroid Prime, but Nintendo was not planning to continue the series due to a perceived lack of interest and they had to be persuaded to make another game. I think it was Nintendo of America that persuaded them because the series was so much bigger in the US and they realized there was more money to be made, something Nintendo of Japan was not aware of.

I've always been a Nintendo supporter, even back to the Game & Watch. But their recent products have lost me as a customer. My Wii sat unused for 2 years before I sold it and all my games to a co-worker. I have zero interest in the Wii U or the 3DS. Motion controls are just not my thing, and 3D gives me a headache. Yes, I know there's now a 2DS, but there's no games that make me want to jump up and buy one.

LOL....all Nintendo would have to do is look online to see there was a demand for Metroid games in the US and EU.  But I guess they couldn't figure out how to go online without a mandatory friend code.   ::)

I feel the same as you.  I've played Nintendo games since the days of Donkey Kong in the arcade, Atari 2600 and ColecoVision.  The Wii completely lost me because I despise the mandatory motion controls and the games in general didn't appeal to me.  The only reason we originally kept it around was for our two daughters and now it has a bazillion games emulated on it.  Even at that, I despise the system itself and rarely use it.  I think with Wii U, I had about 10 games at one point.  Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Wii U and Super Mario 3D World were the only games I really enjoyed on it.  After spending the past six months in standby mode, I finally sold it and the few remaining games I had for it.  I don't do much portable gaming and usually when I do, it's because some game I want isn't available on a console and it's my only option to play it.  Nintendo released the "New" 3DS which should have been great, but all they did was make a crappy port of Xenoblade Chronicles for it and said fuck it.  They couldn't even be bothered to include an AC adapter in the box!  How friggin' cheap is that?

Now we have the NX coming up which Nintendo is being super secretive about so others won't "steal their ideas."   ::)  You know what this tells me?  It tells me the systems and it's controllers are going to be yet another gimmick instead of something more standard.  If it truly is a handheld/console hybrid, it won't be as powerful as a dedicated console.  If rumors are to be believed, it will be tablet-sized.  That automatically guarantees that I'm not going to get one and carry it around to play.  I don't do that with my iPad, I'm not going to do that with an (undoubtedly larger) game system.  Something in a tablet form-factor will have low power/low temp chips because there will really be no good way to keep it running cool otherwise.  That says "lower spec" to me.  With the rumors it's going to run on an NVidia Tegra SoC, it sounds like it will be Wii U quality at best.  Then you have it being a pretty sure bet that it will use mini cartridges and coupled with Nintendo's historically cheap-ass practices, they most assuredly won't have the storage capacity of a Blu-Ray disc. 

Like I said, Nintendo lost me with the Wii.  I tried again with the Wii U and it wasn't for me.  They left the "New" 3DS to languish.  I don't see anything about NX that will convince me to buy one.

Other than your odd new love for the green, we really have the same thoughts on everything.

gf78

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 05:18:33 pm »
If they are working on another Prime-like game, they can keep it. Its not "Metroid". It may as well be Clusterfuck Prime starring Samus.

^This.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 05:24:47 pm »
I'd rather have a new Prime, than a new 2D, but then again, I prefer 3D to 2D lol

doafan

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 07:30:13 pm »
The same shit happened at their 25th Anniversary so to be quite honest I really don't expect anything from Nintendo and not only for this franchise, it appears that the destiny of the company it will the worst one, kinda sad to see that the one who made my childhood pure fun can't make the same thing one way or another for my daughters.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 09:17:31 pm »
The same shit happened at their 25th Anniversary so to be quite honest I really don't expect anything from Nintendo and not only for this franchise, it appears that the destiny of the company it will the worst one, kinda sad to see that the one who made my childhood pure fun can't make the same thing one way or another for my daughters.

That's a cute drawing  :)

Unfortunately, Nintendo seems content being number 3. They have become more of a niche console maker instead of mainstream. For a while now, their management has seemed old and behind the times, which in my opinion started back when they insisted on sticking with cartridges for the N64 when it was clear CDs were the wave of the future. They're really good at innovation, but right now it seems only their reputation and popular franchises are keeping them from delving into obscurity.

gf78

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 10:35:03 pm »
The N64 was the beginning of the end. The Wii was a fluke. Every generation (except Wii), their sales slip further and further. The NX will be the end of a long & painful march into irrelevance caused by a rigid management stubbornly opposed to making the most obvious decisions to keep them relevant. The Wii U from a sales and game library standpoint is abysmal. Instead of making a new console on par or heaven forbid better than the competition, they are devising more goofy ass shit. For fuck sakes Nintendo, just give us a new game system with decent specs and a controller I don't have to flail around, jump on or wrap my sausage in to play a game!  Two analog sticks you can depress, four face buttons and four shoulder buttons. BAM! 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

maximo310

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 11:19:12 pm »
The Wii U Gamepad and Pro Controller have those functions you listed and are a better option then using a Wiimote for Wii U games. I'm also pretty sure that having better graphics than the competition doesn't necessarily guarantee high sales.

necrosexual

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 06:58:52 am »
I really don't like speculating, and you're being super pessimistic.. but...

Retro Studios in Austin IS working on a new game.  These are the folks who did the Donkey Kong Country Returns games, so they are pretty good with the 2.5D games.  They also did the Metroid Prime games, so they have history with working with the franchise.  It's entirely possible they are producing a new Metroid game.

Whatever game they ARE working on, they've been working on it since 2014 (honestly late-2013), so we might be due for some news.  Just saying.

Nah, not pessimistic.  Just being a realist.  Nintendo has gone brain-dead.  I have lost all faith in them.  Aside from the Mini NES, I don't see myself buying anything Nintendo.  It is a huge investment in a new system, just to play a handful of Nintendo games.  Even more so when you take Zelda out of the equation for me since I haven't cared for that series since after Wind Waker on the Gamecube. 

Like I said, I'm very, very happy for the Nintendo fans looking forward to the NX and are able to willfully jump through their hoops to play the games.  I just can't do it anymore. 

honestly i'd be right there with you if it wasn't for a few factors:

1) sony isn't saying anything about another handheld... the likelihood we'll never see a successor to vita is pretty strong, which means smaller japanese rpg companies who love vita will either
1a) continue putting their smaller rpg titles on vita forever (unlikely, but who knows...)
1b) move onto the nx for their smaller-budget portable titles

2) no one has copied animal crossing for some ungodly reason, and animal crossing is a huge love of mine that does, can and will sell a system to me. unfortunately.

3) nintendo handhelds get their own jrpgs... and it seems some other series are stuck to portables. story of seasons has not been released for a system so far, for example. i do like more casual titles like story of seasons, animal crossing, etc. cute, simple games that don't stress me out at all. SMT seems to be stuck on nintendo portables with SMTIV. monster hunter is on nintendo portables these days, exclusively, it seems.

but yes, you're right. i was absolutely burned by the wii. i still haven't really recovered from that feeling of 'betrayal'... it's a pathetic feeling, as they are a corporation looking to make money, but there you go. i had an n64... i had a gamecube... i didn't get a ps2 until AFTER i had a wii.
it feels like being burned, as a pretty loyal consumer of nintendo's hardware and software, to be forgotten.

and the wii u is a fucking catastrophe and honestly, i'm really considering selling mine too. there's a few titles tho that i'd be irritated at not just having. bayonetta 2 (with 1), the wonderful 101 was fantastic. i want to pick up that fucking stupid SMT idol sim rpg.... i'll probably enjoy it. i fucking enjoyed omega quintet and that is a horribly rated title, so i'm a trash consumer, clearly.

now, if it was today and i was looking at buying wii u, i'd be like... hell no. not worth it. but already owning the console...
that said, no 3d mario is bullshit. the new zelda looks fine, but i predicted it being a launch title for nx about a year ago, like twilight princess... and lo and behold, i was right. all i really wanted from wii u was a good smt x fe game like what the original trailer set up to be. i wanted an animal crossing. another 3d mario.
but the reality is, is my wii u will likely turn into a fucking wii game playing machine in the not too distant future, once i get a wii mote and nunchuck set. because i missed a lot of wii titles back then, and some of them were great.

but ultimately, the wii u was massively disappointing, and i have low standards. as it stands, i have one criteria for a new console purchase:

-5 games i want.

that's it.
and the wii u ended up just barely passing that. the xbone just barely passes that, but i'm not looking to get one until the price is lowered, i guess.

i was n ever an apologist though. ...i was pretty bitter halfway through the wii's life and never completely recovered. their portables, on the other hand, i'm usually fine with. and it is ONLY because nx is likely going to be the next portable system, that i will pick one up. if it wasn't, i'd not get it until not only was a new animal crossing confirmed, but it was on the market in the west, AND it wasn't a fucking miserable pile of shit like city folk was (basically, a clone of the portable game with a couple added things but nothing significant).

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 08:36:27 am »
Retro Studios in Austin IS working on a new game.  These are the folks who did the Donkey Kong Country Returns games, so they are pretty good with the 2.5D games.  They also did the Metroid Prime games, so they have history with working with the franchise.  It's entirely possible they are producing a new Metroid game.

Whatever game they ARE working on, they've been working on it since 2014 (honestly late-2013), so we might be due for some news.  Just saying.

If they are working on another Prime-like game, they can keep it. Its not "Metroid". It may as well be Clusterfuck Prime starring Samus.
Despite YOUR opinion, the Prime games are highly rated.  My statement wasn't to say they were going to make another Prime game, but that they have experience with the franchise, and make very good 2D games.

Different strokes for different folks.  I like the Wii U, it's my favorite system to play indie games on, and I generally enjoy all of the first party titles.  I own about as many games for Wii U as I do for X1 and PS4 combined... and some of those PS4 and X1 games, I was literally paid to take.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:42:03 am by ignition365 »

kashell

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 11:23:08 am »
So, like, did anyone play Other M? Was it as bad as it looked?

doafan

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 11:35:33 am »
I guess it depends of how much do you love Samus which at my opinion she looks hotter than ever and that isn't strange because Team Ninja was involved here, the game is not as big as the rest of the ones from this franchise and even when almost everybody hated this game because we can see a passive Samus that await for orders and it seems that she can take a single decision by herself I loved what this game has to offer, it might not be the best of the series but seriously no one can beat Super Metroid, if you haven't tried Other M please avoid reading comments about if it's good or bad, you will see that at least the 75% of the reviews about it put this one as the worst one  :'(

alkaid

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2016, 06:08:05 am »
I'm still hoping that Nintendo has learned from their mistakes and the NX will turn out to be really really good. Part of me wants to believe, but...
Anyway, this isn't an NX thread.

I love Super Metroid the most, the atmosphere, gameplay, music, all fits into this perfect harmony. Metroid II is also a lot of fun, though you have to make your own map or look one up. Or have a really good memory. Best enjoyed on a Super Game Boy, the bigger screen really helps.

The Prime series is something I can appreciate, but don't like playing. I always get sick when I try to play it, so I've never been able to complete even the first game. It looks great, controls great, and has an amazing soundtrack, but personally I cannot play it.

Until Nintendo releases another (good) Metroid game, I'm playing Castlevania games to quench my thirst.
No, really.

doafan

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 11:04:27 am »

gf78

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 11:41:43 am »
Nintendo did everyone a sold for Metroid's anniversary.  They said absolutely nothing about it nor acknowledged it, and ordered a cease & desist to take down the fan remake of Metroid II. 

Man, Nintendo can go suck the big green weenie.  They've really turned into a shit company.  I get protecting your intellectual property and all, but this fan work wasn't hurting a damn thing.  Where most companies would embrace something like this, Nintendo spits in gamers faces by not mentioning Metroid's anniversary or anything, then getting all legal on some of their most devoted fans who took all the time to make this game happen. 

Fuck you Nintendo.  Fuck you.

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 12:12:50 pm »
Nintendo did everyone a sold for Metroid's anniversary.  They said absolutely nothing about it nor acknowledged it, and ordered a cease & desist to take down the fan remake of Metroid II. 

Man, Nintendo can go suck the big green weenie.  They've really turned into a shit company.  I get protecting your intellectual property and all, but this fan work wasn't hurting a damn thing.  Where most companies would embrace something like this, Nintendo spits in gamers faces by not mentioning Metroid's anniversary or anything, then getting all legal on some of their most devoted fans who took all the time to make this game happen. 

Fuck you Nintendo.  Fuck you.
If you read the dude's post, he said he is verifying the integrity of the DMCA, since anyone can DMCA anybody for anything.  Also, the file is still up for download.

But yes, Nintendo has a history of C&Ding folks for stuff like this.