Author Topic: Will NA PS3 play PAL games?  (Read 1408 times)

Will NA PS3 play PAL games?
« on: August 06, 2016, 06:51:23 am »
 I found a super awesome Ellie Edition last of us box set with a steel book and its pretty cheap and I like it more than the survival edition American set. but its PAL and I know nothing about nor have I ever ventured into foreign games. I think the Ellie and Joel editions are much cooler. I like it because its still English so I can read the books and stuff but I am not sure if the games will play. Thanks for tips  :D

Re: Will NA PS3 play PAL games?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 07:30:36 am »
Yes they will. Some games require a HDTV. But, some do play without one also. Most people have HDTV's these days, so I'd assume that's not a huge problem.

indenton

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 11:05:08 am »
Their are a few region locked PS3 games, I know that the original 'Persona 4 Arena' is region locked. 

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 11:40:19 am »
yep, sure will

Nickkchilla

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 02:32:20 pm »

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 04:14:50 pm »
99.5% of PS3 games are region free. The only ones that aren't are the NA version of Persona 4 Arena, and a samurai game on PSN ( which was only region locked on PS3 Slims).

PAL has some different special editions from the US, e.x w/ tales of graces f having a limited edition vs reg edition in NA; its also a good way to get a physical GOTY version of Dark Souls if you like that series. There's a few games such as Under Defeat Deluxe Edition and Jojo All Star Battle that have cheaper PAL versions than US versions as well.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 06:21:48 pm »
One of the best features about the Playstation family of systems now days. Any system can play games from any region with a few oddball expections. The PS3, PS4, and PS Vita are all region free. I think the PSP is too but I'm not 100% sure.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 07:59:46 pm »
^Yup, the PSP's region free, as are (most) PS3 games. There are some odd exceptions, though. I know UMD movies are region locked, and I don't believe a backwards compatible PS3 can play PS2 or PS1 games from another region unless you have a launch model. I always get conflicting information with that last part and don't have the proper PS3 model to test it myself. Can anyone correct me?
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 08:25:27 pm »
99.5% of PS3 games are region free. The only ones that aren't are the NA version of Persona 4 Arena, and a samurai game on PSN ( which was only region locked on PS3 Slims).

PAL has some different special editions from the US, e.x w/ tales of graces f having a limited edition vs reg edition in NA; its also a good way to get a physical GOTY version of Dark Souls if you like that series. There's a few games such as Under Defeat Deluxe Edition and Jojo All Star Battle that have cheaper PAL versions than US versions as well.

Thanks for all the help everyone  :D, I am excited to get it.  I loved Last of us so much I figured id get a special edition to display. The post pandemic version is far out of my price range right now but then I found the Ellie edition from UK. Its such a cooler set imo then the American survival edition set. Probably because I like Ellie slightly more than Joel as a character. Its awesome and cheaper too.  It will be my first PAL game ever. I was never a fan of the orange diamond thingy they use as a age rating in Europe but they leave that off of the steel book and all the goodies so it looks awesome.  :)

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 12:09:02 am »
As
I don't believe a backwards compatible PS3 can play PS2 or PS1 games from another region unless you have a launch model.

A backwards compatible PS3 will only play PS1 and PS2 games for the region it is made in. So a NA Backwards Compatible PS3 will only play NA region PS1 and PS2 games. Also interestingly enough the means to region lock a PS3 game is supported on the PS3 if the developers wanted to do it but since Sony didn't require it, most didn't bother to do so.