Author Topic: Do you hate Greatest hits/Players choice games?  (Read 13711 times)

desocietas

Re: Do you hate Greatest hits/Players choice games?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 02:31:43 pm »
I definitely prefer black label and will usually pass on a GH/PC version unless I just want to play the game and don't want to pay an obscene amount for black label (or got the re-release for free).

But there are some really ugly ones out there.  We all know about one of the worst offenders:

I've always hated the "best seller" badges that Nintendo would print on their reprints:

It reminds me of book covers for things like The Little Prince where it reads in giant letters 'NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE' or whatever. I don't want that on my book cover  >:(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:33:19 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 02:43:12 pm »
Le Petit Prince is now a major motion picture? Wasn't the first one with Gene Wilder bad enough? O_o

desocietas

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 02:56:31 pm »
Le Petit Prince is now a major motion picture? Wasn't the first one with Gene Wilder bad enough? O_o

More independent probably, and there was a big thing because it was supposed to come out in theaters but was pulled a week prior to its debut and subsequently released for Netflix only:

Haven't seen it yet, but is presumably better than the live action one?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 03:18:01 pm »
I had no idea this was a thing.

We had to read the book in high school French class. I didn't care for it and the movie was too campy; even for me. XD

madmax

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 04:30:29 pm »
I actually like the GH versions, it brings a good game to a wider audience at a cheaper price. It also means that I can keep my Black Label games safe while I play on the Green Label games.

necrosexual

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2016, 08:03:38 am »
i also hate that kinda stuff on book covers. i'm even a little salty that my GoT first novel isn't the original print because it's titled game of thrones and has an image of the actor in the shittier version of the throne ;I
there again, didn't think i'd actually like the novel.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2016, 07:14:52 pm »
My god, what did they do to that Dawn of Sorrow box? That is one of the most awful reprint boxes I have ever seen. The best seller labels are better than the yellow murder stripe on Gamecube games however.

desocietas

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 11:03:39 pm »
My god, what did they do to that Dawn of Sorrow box? That is one of the most awful reprint boxes I have ever seen. The best seller labels are better than the yellow murder stripe on Gamecube games however.

True, though it took me a while to find a copy of Paper Mario on GC without the Best Seller or the yellow stripe. They have three different variants for the US release, I believe.

And that Castlevania box is awful... probably the worst cover I've ever seen for a reprint. I haven't found another reprint box that matches that level so far.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 05:55:54 am »
I remember that in PAL region the "Platinum" - re-release - version of PSX games had plain bland cheap discs while original had nice artworks on them. I thik it applies to other consoles. I love decorated game discs!
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2016, 12:32:05 pm »
They are absolute abominations, it baffles me how anyone thought they were a good idea let alone the fact are actually made. They make the game place look hideous and extremely out of place with the rest of the library. If they want everyone to know it's a player's choice game they could just write it somewhere, there's no need to be so blatant about it.

Normally I wouldn't mind their existence because the one good thing about them is that they're easy to avoid, however my brother (very kindly in all fairness) got me the red GOTY edition for Fallout 3. It's great that it contains all the DLC, but did they really need to make it so ugly?

sworddude

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2016, 06:57:40 am »
I don´t collect them but I do appreciate the **** out of them.

They did help me to aquire allot of black label quality titles for next to nothing especially for the ps1 they are a big help with them spyro and crash titles.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2016, 09:06:17 am »
I don't get the hate for them.  I may not prefer them in my collection, but I don't hate them.  In fact, with out re-releases, prices would be even higher.

realpoketendonl

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2016, 02:24:38 pm »
I honestly really don't mind it. In fact, I am kind of in favor of them. What they essentially do is just re-release a game for a cheaper price, which to me doesn't really have any downsides. For example, when I got Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City, the game was already out of production for a while. However, thanks to Nintendo Selects, I was able to get it. And not just get it, but get it relatively cheap.
I completely understand why hardcore collectors don't like them, since they can both reduce and increase the value of the original version, but I'm personally all for it. Unless we're talking about limited editions or pre-order bonuses, I don't really mind what version of a game I get, red border or not.
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

desocietas

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2016, 02:36:24 pm »
I think, for me, I fall into the hipster mentality trap of "I got that game before it became cool." Seeing those red or yellow borders screams, "Hey, everyone else likes this - you should, too!" but that's me, haha.

If anything, I do like to have the "definitive" edition of something though. Sometimes that's the Game of the Year Edition or something that comes out years down the line. More and more enhanced versions of games are coming out, too, so that tends to make the originals less desirable. Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters: Daybreak Special Gigs, for instance, will be out soon and might make the original obsolete. Persona 3 FES is the one to have now, though I am happy to have my both my original Etrian Odyssey 1 and EO Untold.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

sworddude

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2016, 02:56:14 pm »
I do remember when I bought my platinum copy of super smash melee Gamecube that the price difference was pretty big pretty much 50%

Bought it for 30 instead of 60 guilders back in the day.

There are no downsides for platinum releases since the price is way cheaper wich might make it superior over the original furthermore some bugs have been removed from the game.

As a collector it might not look nice on the shelves but It's a hell lot cheaper when it was new.

Platinum copies can indeed increase or decrease the value of a black lable copy, especially when a black lable copy is hard to get and a platinum really easy.

@desocietas did you play radiant historia recently?

I have actually finished that game a week ago and your avatar is the most annoying character in the game period  ::)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:11:34 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!