Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 9054 times)

jupiter

Re: No Man's Sky
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2016, 03:03:36 am »
So I had a bit of extra cash and decided to go ahead and grab the game at full retail. I was going to wait for a price drop/updates but eh...

I've played around 15 hours so far, and while it's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination like some of the games media would have you believe, it does have plenty of downsides and is missing that feeling the first trailers had.

Having said that, however, I'm still loving the game for what it is. It's the kind of game where you really have to set your own goals and find your own fun, the minecraft analogies are pretty accurate and will only get more accurate if they add base-building and things like that.

I suppose it's a stop-gap for the fantasy I had as a kid of flying my own spaceship around the galaxy. The first time I took my ship from planet, to space, to the surface of another planet I was hooked. I know that other space games have been applauded for the depth and true freedom that this game is currently lacking, but for whatever reason I was never able to get into any of the 90's - early 2000's space games. About the closest to come to my dream has been EVE, and more recently Elite: Dangerous though I'm terribad at that game.

So, having gushed a bit, is the game worth it's tag? Not a chance. Should have been 20-30 bucks at most. As it stands it's more like a tech-demo that you can sort of sandbox around in. I believe Sony, bless their hearts, tried their damnedest to push this game as a AAA title when it never was, nor should have been. I do think the game will improve drastically over time. Until then it's fun to loose hours pretending to be a spaceman (lol), at least for the child in me who still dreams of chasing stars.

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2016, 05:22:26 am »
So I had a bit of extra cash and decided to go ahead and grab the game at full retail. I was going to wait for a price drop/updates but eh...

I've played around 15 hours so far, and while it's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination like some of the games media would have you believe, it does have plenty of downsides and is missing that feeling the first trailers had.

Having said that, however, I'm still loving the game for what it is. It's the kind of game where you really have to set your own goals and find your own fun, the minecraft analogies are pretty accurate and will only get more accurate if they add base-building and things like that.

I suppose it's a stop-gap for the fantasy I had as a kid of flying my own spaceship around the galaxy. The first time I took my ship from planet, to space, to the surface of another planet I was hooked. I know that other space games have been applauded for the depth and true freedom that this game is currently lacking, but for whatever reason I was never able to get into any of the 90's - early 2000's space games. About the closest to come to my dream has been EVE, and more recently Elite: Dangerous though I'm terribad at that game.

So, having gushed a bit, is the game worth it's tag? Not a chance. Should have been 20-30 bucks at most. As it stands it's more like a tech-demo that you can sort of sandbox around in. I believe Sony, bless their hearts, tried their damnedest to push this game as a AAA title when it never was, nor should have been. I do think the game will improve drastically over time. Until then it's fun to loose hours pretending to be a spaceman (lol), at least for the child in me who still dreams of chasing stars.

Yeah if this was a 20 to 30 dollar game, even treating it as an early access title with digital only releases, it would've got a lot less shit.  Sadly, they treated it as a much bigger game than it really is.

I'm actually checking out this game on PC called "Empyrion - Galactic Survival" right now, which is in early access, 20 dollars normally, but it's on sale for 10 dollars right now.  Still got time to go in development, but it's essentially like a low tech No Man's Sky, even picking up a lot of attention recently because of peoples disappointment over NMS.  It's not amazing, and visually way below NMS, but it has far more content in terms of crafting and survival.  Got base building, can craft your own ship however you want, has multiplayer, it's more of a proper game.  I only got like an hour in it, so I can't say anything about it's long term viability, but it seems interesting enough.  I do question it's design choices for creatures, with there being straight up dinosaurs in it, but not sure if they have an explanation for that, though there are proper aliens and alien creatures that I saw lol

tripredacus

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2016, 10:33:19 am »
Found another planet where I can't find the last last animal to scan. When using the scanner, I can see some hits up in the sky, above where the normal bird-type things are. So not sure if there is anything up there.

rayne315

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2016, 04:03:27 pm »
I think I will quit playing this for now... I found and went through a black hole that took me from ~160,000LY to the center to ~180,000LY to the center....
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2016, 04:08:16 pm »
I might go rent this this upcoming weekend if I haven't decided on something to play other than Fallout 4.

jupiter

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2016, 07:20:47 pm »
I might go rent this this upcoming weekend if I haven't decided on something to play other than Fallout 4.

It's definitely worth a rent at least. Hopefully updates will increase the number of things you can do and what not.

rayne315

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2016, 11:49:07 am »
for those of you who feel cheated and lied to about this game and what it was supposed to be. Steam, Amazon, and playstation are offering full refunds of the game.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3458500/no-mans-sky-steam-sony-and-amazon-begin-issuing-refunds-regardless-of-play-time/

I know most of us this will not apply to but I am going to gamestop after work to see if they will honor it also.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:54:44 am by rayne315 »

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2016, 01:04:58 pm »
I was surprised to see that the consoles were allowing refunds as I thought the bulk of the bugs were with the PC port. I haven't gone back to it yet after just playing about 6 hours of so, but I find that I enjoy it most when I just take my time exploring. I'm in no rush to get to the end of the game.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2016, 02:09:48 pm »
I was surprised to see that the consoles were allowing refunds as I thought the bulk of the bugs were with the PC port. I haven't gone back to it yet after just playing about 6 hours of so, but I find that I enjoy it most when I just take my time exploring. I'm in no rush to get to the end of the game.

as one person in the comments pointed out (not sure how true it is) they are trying to avoid a class action lawsuit because all the things that are not in the game but were promoted as being in the game as of 1 month prior to the release (false advertising) which one reddit user had compiled in its entireity with links to all promotional material and developer interviews throughout the years which has since been archived. (thank you kamikazekeeg for the original link https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/)

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2016, 03:22:29 pm »
Oh yes, I did hear about that argument.

Thankfully, I'm not the sort who looks too deeply into games prior to playing them. Helps me to take the game at face value rather than what was promised/hyped.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2016, 04:38:58 pm »

Thankfully, I'm not the sort who looks too deeply into games prior to playing them. Helps me to take the game at face value rather than what was promised/hyped.

The problem is that the game sold a lot of pre-orders on that hype and it turned out to be lacking much of what was being promised and talked about.  Lot of pissed off people.  The game ran poorly on PS4 also, which you don't see as often from console games usually.  I know of people having tons of crashes.  I had a game crash and a few times the framerate would randomly drop down to like 5 before fixing itself.

desocietas

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2016, 05:01:31 pm »

The problem is that the game sold a lot of pre-orders on that hype and it turned out to be lacking much of what was being promised and talked about.  Lot of pissed off people.  The game ran poorly on PS4 also, which you don't see as often from console games usually.  I know of people having tons of crashes.  I had a game crash and a few times the framerate would randomly drop down to like 5 before fixing itself.

Oh, for sure. For those who were trying to make an informed decision on whether to preorder or not, it's totally justified to feel cheated and want your money back. I'm glad Sony is refunding for folks, honestly. I'm curious if NMS will follow through with all these patches and not fall the way of Arkham Knight on Steam.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2016, 05:25:54 pm »

Oh, for sure. For those who were trying to make an informed decision on whether to preorder or not, it's totally justified to feel cheated and want your money back. I'm glad Sony is refunding for folks, honestly. I'm curious if NMS will follow through with all these patches and not fall the way of Arkham Knight on Steam.

I heard they just were about to release a PS4 patch that was supposed to fix a lot of the issues, not sure about PC.  It's possible it'll be fine, it was just rushed out and Hello Games is a tiny team.  Arkham Knight was a special case in that they apparently couldn't even fix it at a certain point.  There was just something inherently broken in the game that a patch couldn't fix.

desocietas

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2016, 06:02:42 pm »

I heard they just were about to release a PS4 patch that was supposed to fix a lot of the issues, not sure about PC.  It's possible it'll be fine, it was just rushed out and Hello Games is a tiny team.  Arkham Knight was a special case in that they apparently couldn't even fix it at a certain point.  There was just something inherently broken in the game that a patch couldn't fix.

Yeah, that was super sad. Watched my bf play it on the PS4, and it ran great and was really interesting to watch. NMS is definitely an ambitious independent game, and I'm curious about what we'll think of it (if at all) a year from now.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2016, 07:22:37 pm »

Yeah, that was super sad. Watched my bf play it on the PS4, and it ran great and was really interesting to watch. NMS is definitely an ambitious independent game, and I'm curious about what we'll think of it (if at all) a year from now.

I honestly hope they get their stuff together and fix it the way Diablo 3 was fixed. where they add in most/all of what was promised and then some.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully