Author Topic: PS4 Pro announced  (Read 3396 times)

PS4 Pro announced
« on: September 07, 2016, 03:47:05 pm »
The 4K model of PS4 has been officially announced and it's $399 out on November 10th, 2016.

Its GPU is twice as strong as PlayStation 4. The console is using AMD Poralis and comes with HDR and 4K support.  Previously released games will get support to enable 4K for PS4 Pro.  Specifically named Black Ops 3 at least.

Netflix and Youtube will release 4K enabled apps for PS4 Pro by the end of the year.  Netflix will have over 600 hours of 4k enabled content by the end of the year.

The PS4 Pro will not support Ultra HD Blu-rays.  It will only support 4k streaming through apps.

PS4 Slim should be arriving in stores starting Sept. 14th.  Priced at $299.

All PS4 models (Launch to present) will receive a firmware update to enable HDR.  I believe by next week.

Gif of the PS4 Pro from most angles.
https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/773607848815321090

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:33:08 pm by ignition365 »

Re: PS4 Pro announced
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 04:00:57 pm »
Dang, beat me to it lol

Crazy that it's coming out this year.  It looks awful in design terms to me, just another layer on the old system, but that's a good price.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 04:05:27 pm »
The bottom of the pro system has the controller button symbols for the feet.  That is so awesome.

rayne315

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 04:09:06 pm »
The bottom of the pro system has the controller button symbols for the feet.  That is so awesome.

I like this! although the general shape is rather lazy but realistically I did not expect them to redesign the outside of the system for the new version so it fits quite well.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

kashell

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 04:13:20 pm »
It looks like a slice of cake.

I don't have a 4K TV and don't plan on getting one anytime soon, but I'm surprised that it's coming out so soon. November will be here before you know it.

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 04:15:36 pm »
Quite honestly, I think the original version of the system looks better, especially my Darth Vader version but I think the slim looks pretty slick. The PS4K… it looks kind of off, especially those three layers, but I don't play a system because of how it looks. Hell look at the Wii U, one of the lamest designs ever.
The PS4 has a great future ahead of it and I'm glad to be an owner of it.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 04:24:10 pm »
Just confirmed.  The PS4 Pro will not support Ultra HD Blu-rays.  I believe those are the 4K Blu-rays.

It will only support 4k streaming through apps.

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 04:25:40 pm »
I hate the PS4 design, so this is just like doubling down on an already crap design, but design is unimportant really.  I'm not sure if I'll upgrade or not, as it depends on how much I could get for my current PS4 if I trade it in, but I could cut out a game or two releasing this year to help afford it more easily and it still gives me 4 months between then and the NX release to hopefully afford that.

Just confirmed.  The PS4 Pro will not support Ultra HD Blu-rays.  I believe those are the 4K Blu-rays.

It will only support 4k streaming through apps.

Why would they release a 4K system that doesn't play their own proprietary 4k discs? That makes no sense...I don't really care, I won't be getting a 4k tv for years, but this seems weird.

Sidenote, can I back up my PS4 system on something before I would go trade it in so I don't lose all my saves and such?

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 04:32:12 pm »
https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD

Thanks, figured I'd ask first before I go digging, but yup, just a USB storage device or a nice feature is saving to the cloud if I'm a PS+ member at the time.

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 04:34:56 pm »
If I ever find a 1TB or larger internal 2.5" HDD for cheap I plan to do this to upgrade my PS4.

argyle

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 04:37:43 pm »
I'll probably pick one up when they release a special edition that I like. Maybe a Kingdom Hearts 3 or FF7 edition system? :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 04:42:21 pm »
I didn't get an HD TV until last year. So maybe I'll pick this new PS4 up in about 10 years when I get a 4K TV. :P

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 04:44:32 pm »
I didn't get an HD TV until last year. So maybe I'll pick this new PS4 up in about 10 years when I get a 4K TV. :P

Well you don't need a 4K tv, it just benefits if you have one since it's a more powerful system.

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 04:45:29 pm »
They both look underwhelming and missing BR UHD support is just weak.