Author Topic: PS4 Pro announced  (Read 3388 times)

madmax

Re: PS4 Pro announced
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 05:38:46 pm »
The PS4 Pro will not support Ultra HD Blu-rays.  It will only support 4k streaming through apps.

I am second guessing whether or not I want to buy one now. I wanted the all around 4k support so I could use the PS4 Pro as an entertainment system.

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 05:44:03 pm »
I'm guessing this was done to save on the cost of the system perhaps?  It's weird that Xbox One S supports them, but not Sony's own console.

rayne315

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 05:48:42 pm »
I'm guessing this was done to save on the cost of the system perhaps?  It's weird that Xbox One S supports them, but not Sony's own console.

I mean its not like they couldn't have known since it is a proprietary item sony makes and Microsoft would have to buy the capable drives directly from sony so IDK why its not on the ps4...
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 06:12:21 pm »
I didn't get an HD TV until last year. So maybe I'll pick this new PS4 up in about 10 years when I get a 4K TV. :P

Well you don't need a 4K tv, it just benefits if you have one since it's a more powerful system.

There's little incentive to buy one if you don't have a 4K TV, and you already own a current-gen system, though.

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 06:21:09 pm »
There's little incentive to buy one if you don't have a 4K TV, and you already own a current-gen system, though.

Hardware upgrade mostly.  I'm curious how games already released could benefit and if it means games like Horizon Zero Dawn run way better on the Pro, I might be more inclined to get this, since trading in my PS4 could cut the Pro price in half.

aliensstudios

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 06:30:04 pm »
Shoot, the PS4 Pro doesn't support Ultra-HD Blu-Rays? Sony's own tech?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

necrosexual

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 07:04:44 pm »
i'm tempted but i HATE this practise of releasing new hardware. esp because i just got a ps4 in november.
i don't know, i'm just not fond of it. i know i'll be hating myself for it later when everything is reported 60fps/1080p on that, but i really can't support this practise.

not that it matters, since i am  but one person.

I didn't get an HD TV until last year. So maybe I'll pick this new PS4 up in about 10 years when I get a 4K TV. :P

hey! same!

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 08:17:53 pm »
What they're not telling you is that the VRAM is the same speed so there's a huge bottleneck and most of that GPU speed is pissed down the drain.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:19:44 pm by badATchaos »

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 08:45:58 pm »
I'll wait for launch to see what the consensus on it turns out to be unless I can get a real amazing deal on a trade-in beforehand.  Within a certain price range, the upgrade wouldn't be too big of a deal and would be beneficial enough as an upgrade.  As a PC gamer, this isn't unheard of lol

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 11:31:32 pm »
I expect Sony to patch in 4K Blu Ray support close to or shortly after launch if enough people cry about it.

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 01:49:25 am »
I expect Sony to patch in 4K Blu Ray support close to or shortly after launch if enough people cry about it.

They can't, because wouldn't it be hardware based? Why wouldn't they add it if it was just flipping a switch in the software?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 06:35:01 am »
4k blu-ray will not work on a standard blu-ray player. For a system that'supported main selling feature is 4k but can't play 4k blu-rays seems about as ridiculous as a phone not including a 3.5mm headphone jack...which is yet another reason to hate Apple now.

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 08:21:52 am »
4k blu-ray will not work on a standard blu-ray player. For a system that'supported main selling feature is 4k but can't play 4k blu-rays seems about as ridiculous as a phone not including a 3.5mm headphone jack...which is yet another reason to hate Apple now.
I've been saying it for a while... the 3.5mm headphone jack is holding back some features most companies want to do.  It's not exactly reasonable for everyone to adopt bluetooth headsets/earbuds/headphones (They can be acquired pretty cheap though, I got a nice pair of headphones for about $20.), but it is something manufacturers have been wanting to get rid of for a while now and I'm glad they are starting.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 10:15:22 am »
Say what you will my wired Bose headphones are still the best damn headphones I've ever had

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 10:17:52 am »
Say what you will my wired Bose headphones are still the best damn headphones I've ever had
I believe Apple will provide (or more likely sell at a premium) an adapter that will convert from (what is it, lightning?) the power port to 3.5mm.