Author Topic: PS4 Pro announced  (Read 3303 times)

tripredacus

Re: PS4 Pro announced
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2016, 10:43:43 am »
4k blu-ray will not work on a standard blu-ray player. For a system that'supported main selling feature is 4k but can't play 4k blu-rays seems about as ridiculous as a phone not including a 3.5mm headphone jack...which is yet another reason to hate Apple now.

Physical media is dead. They are wise to not invest in adding that capability.

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2016, 10:45:40 am »
4k blu-ray will not work on a standard blu-ray player. For a system that'supported main selling feature is 4k but can't play 4k blu-rays seems about as ridiculous as a phone not including a 3.5mm headphone jack...which is yet another reason to hate Apple now.

Physical media is dead. They are wise to not invest in adding that capability.
Pretty sure 4k uses a lot of bandwidth.  Couple that with the US's greatly inferior internet infrastructure and capped bandwidths.

Very hard to kill physical media.

Warmsignal

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2016, 10:49:02 am »
So this is now gen 8.1, I guess?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2016, 10:51:46 am »
Is Blu-Ray owned by Sony, like CD & DVD is? If so, then I have to agree. Seems strange that Sony wouldn't include that in order to sell more Blu-Rays.

maximo310

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 11:02:37 am »
It's pretty silly when your competitor can play the most advanced format that you created on their new console, but you can't on yours.

If it's possible to do it, then they should try to put it in; they need to push and sell their format.

tripredacus

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2016, 11:04:55 am »
I think the problem isn't about bandwidth or Sony wanting to sell BDs. It is the fact that people aren't buying movies anymore, not in any great numbers. I am sure that it was considered during the design process. Then they run the numbers. If the numbers don't match up, then they don't add that feature.

We can't look at ourselves, or our friends or people we know online as how the entire world is trending. I can't think of anyone else I know personally that actually goes out and buys new movies at retail. Maybe a DVD here or there, but people are not going out and buying new movies. Not like they used to. Those days are done.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2016, 12:26:14 pm »
It just seems weird to me especially when you consider Sony as a whole includes Sony motion pictures happens to be releasing 4k blu-ray movies isn't going to put a 4k player in their console that they are pushing as a 4k device...

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2016, 02:16:36 pm »
Am I the only one that gives zero effs about 4k?  Maybe I'm getting old.  1080p is good enough for me.

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2016, 02:23:55 pm »
Am I the only one that gives zero effs about 4k?  Maybe I'm getting old.  1080p is good enough for me.

From what I've seen at stores of 4k, it's super nice, I'll get one eventually since it'll be the HD replacement someday, but 4k certainly isn't the selling point on the Pro system.  I still think not having support for their own 4k Blu-Rays is really dumb lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2016, 02:46:20 pm »

From what I've seen at stores of 4k, it's super nice, I'll get one eventually since it'll be the HD replacement someday, but 4k certainly isn't the selling point on the Pro system.  I still think not having support for their own 4k Blu-Rays is really dumb lol

It's not? Because I see little incentive to upgrade from a normal PS4 if you have no plans on getting a 4K TV.

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2016, 02:53:51 pm »
My bad, should've added "for me" in that, but I think if it's enough of a hardware upgrade and they can show the benefits, I might be interested in this still.

madmax

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2016, 03:04:23 pm »

It's not? Because I see little incentive to upgrade from a normal PS4 if you have no plans on getting a 4K TV.

They sold it as a Pro version, for gamers who want an extra edge. Even at 1080p you'd have better frames or better visuals. They opened up saying it was for the more hardcore gamers. The benefits are small, but people who play everyday, it might be worth it for them, even without a 4k tv. The incentive is small for casual gamers, but for hardcore PS4 gamers, it's probably worth it.

That being said, it's definitely marketed towards 4k, they spent half of the presentation explaining what 4K and HDR were. If Sony spends 20-25 minutes presenting technology instead of games, you can bet your ass that they are committing hard to the technology (In this case, 4k)

spac316

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2016, 01:08:55 am »

Nope, I really don't care either. I think everything as it is now is just fine to me. But companies want to suck the money out of us as much as they could...

But anyway, I do plan to get this since I do not have a PS4 yet. Glad I waited, wish I could say the same for XBox One. :/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:10:43 am by spac316 »

maximo310

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2016, 08:02:06 pm »
So far, most of the games they're showing off with ps4 pro builds are focusing on higher resolution ( which varies from 1440p to a possible native 4K), but I haven't seen anything that runs above 30 fps yet compared to their ps4 builds.

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2016, 10:06:12 pm »
I dont really care about consoles but i'm so hyped that my game is gonna be one of the first games on the platform. ( aka Killing Floor 2 )