Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 252309 times)

jcalder8

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2012, 08:35:56 pm »
Welcome to the site Paul.

All collections start off small and it's surprising how quickly they can/will grow.

scott

« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2012, 10:44:23 pm »
I think when we started this site, my collection was only 600+ games, now it's up over 800... :\
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

amauriel

« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2012, 09:21:04 pm »
@Paul: First off, welcome!

Then, I've got to ask if you went to PAX East, since Boston and all.

THEN: My sister is a music teacher, high school level because she loves showchoirs. What age are you looking at teaching?
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

faxmachine

« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2012, 04:50:55 pm »
Oh, now I find this thread  ::)

My name is Mike, from Phoenix. Small time collector for a couple of years, but purchased my first "Collectible" when I was 14 (Super Bomberman 5 - CIB). I mainly collect N64, SNES, Genesis, and NES games and accessories. My strengths are finding virgin N64 controllers and N64 consoles.

I compete in Super Smash Bros 64, Tetris Attack, and a little bit of Dr. Mario.

I just got back from PAX East 2012. It was an incredible time! I spent 90% of the time in the Retro Gaming room. Took home a couple of medals, met some amazing people, saw some great games IRL (DKC Competition, Star Fox Competition), and will be going to every PAX from now on.

Anyways I found this site from the /r/gameswap subreddit. Great site! I can't wait to see how this community evolves.

I don't trade too much, but I have 7 N64 consoles with cables that I spend if there is something I really want.

jcalder8

« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2012, 05:16:51 pm »
Welcome to the site Mike. I have heard that PAX is awesome to see but living in another country pretty much means I'll never end up going.

Where do you go to compete?

faxmachine

« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2012, 05:36:35 pm »
I will fly out to anywhere to compete. I have been all over the country (even Hawaii) to compete in Smash and Tetris Attack. I really love those games. I don't even know how many times I have competed at this point. I saved all my plane ticket stubs, so I could check.

matt

« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2012, 06:59:13 pm »
Welcome Mike! I'm the dude responsible for all of this so if you have any questions or suggestions just let me know!

EDIT: I see you've already made some suggestions. I'll address those when I get time. Thanks!

faxmachine

« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2012, 07:40:53 pm »
Welcome Mike! I'm the dude responsible for all of this so if you have any questions or suggestions just let me know!

EDIT: I see you've already made some suggestions. I'll address those when I get time. Thanks!

I absolutely LOVE this site! Thank you very much! I have a couple of websites I am working on. One was handed to me to help out (I haven't changed anything since responsibility was handed over) http://www.tetrisattack.org and my own project (which I have seriously neglected) http://www.drmariorx.com. If you have any small tasks I probably could help out here. I need excuses to learn PHP. It would probably be better if it were later, just so you guys know I am not some scumbag.

I might as well throw this out here just to break the ice a little more:

I am on the right. I had to play against my friend and roomate on the 2nd round. It was single elimination so I was sad that one of us would have to go that early in the competition.

scott

« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2012, 08:45:31 pm »
Oh man, that was an impressive match!

jcalder8

« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2012, 08:56:35 pm »
That was a great back and forth battle. I've never seen Tetris Attack before and now I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

How far did your friend end up going?

jobocan

« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2012, 09:01:05 pm »
Holy poop that's some epic Tetris Attack play.... I wasn't even aware there was a competitive scene for that :P

scott

« Reply #161 on: April 22, 2012, 09:01:56 pm »
Jcalder8, Tetris Attack is fun, I've played both the GB version and the Pokemon Puzzle League version on GBC. You should totally try it out.

faxmachine

« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2012, 09:05:51 pm »
That was a great back and forth battle. I've never seen Tetris Attack before and now I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

How far did your friend end up going?

He got 2nd place. I think it was a 48 man bracket. That youtube account has all the videos from the tournament.

teknophyl

« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2012, 07:54:32 am »
Hey everyone - older guy here who has been a gamer forever but recently started collecting. I live in a part of North Carolina where I have found some awesome CL and local garage sale deals and it has kind of taken off from there. I'm originally from NYC.

I do also play modern consoles (Xbox 360, Steam) but my main focus right now is finally finishing KOTOR.

Husband and dad too, so I don't have unlimited discretionary spending... hope to make some use of the trade/sale threads too :)

Playing - KOTOR, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

jcalder8

« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2012, 09:04:15 am »
Welcome teknophyl, a lot of us started out as gamers and many would still consider themselves gamers first. I am mostly a collector because I don't have the time to game like I used to. My wife and son play more in a week than I do.