Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 250922 times)

foxhack

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #540 on: March 25, 2013, 06:16:46 pm »
For example: There is one entry of a EU release of Tales Of Vesperia, but it has (french box art) added to the title. My swedish edition has the very same box art and the same goes for the UK release which makes me want to have the database entry changed to NOT say (french box art). If the person who made this entry want to specify that the backside text of their edition is in French, I imagine it is better to add that information in details. As far as I can tell, the cover for ALL European releases are the same!
Howdy and welcome.

What we're doing now is adding a country to the game title when needed. Many early European titles are multi-language so we tend to keep one entry per game, but if regional variants exist, then we add them. Tales of Vesperia has several regional releases - I checked MobyGames and they have three different cover art variations for this: Spain (with Spanish text on box), Austria / Germany (German text on box + USK Rating), and Finland / Portugal / Sweden / United Kingdom (English text on box, Finland, Portugal, Sweden flags on back). I was unable to find a shot of the French version.

The Spain and Fin/Por/Swe/UK releases seem to have the same front cover, but the back of the box and EAN code are different. So they both have to have different entries.

I've added the version of the game with English box text for you. Let us know if you need more help.

« Reply #541 on: March 25, 2013, 06:24:39 pm »
Hello to the both of you!

Many thanks for the reply! Okay, so you want all differences on the covers, and not just the artwork, gotcha!

I've been slowly starting to add games to my collection but many are missing from your database. Could you give me any tips on what is more important to add, information wise, when I want to contribute?

Also, as far as pictures go, I guess its scans or bust? Photographs won't cut it? I have an old scanner somewhere I think, but not sure if it works at all/on win8.

edit: Actually let me add another question as well: If I don't have ALL the information available (barcode number, maybe publisher, date of release, pictures of boxart etc.), should I then refrain from adding a game to the database?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:50:44 pm by frille »

foxhack

« Reply #542 on: March 25, 2013, 07:50:30 pm »
Hello to the both of you!

Many thanks for the reply! Okay, so you want all differences on the covers, and not just the artwork, gotcha!

I've been slowly starting to add games to my collection but many are missing from your database. Could you give me any tips on what is more important to add, information wise, when I want to contribute?

Also, as far as pictures go, I guess its scans or bust? Photographs won't cut it? I have an old scanner somewhere I think, but not sure if it works at all/on win8.

edit: Actually let me add another question as well: If I don't have ALL the information available (barcode number, maybe publisher, date of release, pictures of boxart etc.), should I then refrain from adding a game to the database?
A game entry can be barebones: The minimum information you need is the correct platform / region, game name, and regional / packaging variant information (if any). A year of release and developer / publisher info is also handy. If you have a complete game, you should also add the EAN (product barcode) so it helps when people want to add the game to their own collection. The year and EAN data can help us track down game variants, like with Vesperia. If your game doesn't have a game rating, or it has a rating we don't currently support, don't change the rating.

Scans are preferred but photos are okay. If you can find scans online, then use them, if they match your product exactly, since some sites make up their own covers or use promotional artwork. Don't use watermarked pictures (you know, stuff with site or store logos.) If you can't get any pictures, again, don't worry.

And don't worry if you don't enter all info when adding a game. Any missing information can be added later on. Many collectors have missing info in their game entries, and we add stuff when we can do so. :)

jcalder8

« Reply #543 on: March 26, 2013, 12:15:16 am »
Welcome to the site frille!

« Reply #544 on: March 27, 2013, 12:35:16 pm »
Welcome ! :)

« Reply #545 on: March 27, 2013, 03:59:28 pm »
Welcome Frille, hope you enjoy your stay :)
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

ko1ru

« Reply #546 on: March 27, 2013, 05:02:21 pm »
Hello and welcome Frille!  I like your little Gashlycrumb Tinies avatar.  :)

htimreimer

« Reply #547 on: March 27, 2013, 05:18:12 pm »
good day and welcome to the site everone i miss

brunauss

« Reply #548 on: March 28, 2013, 06:14:56 pm »
Well...lets see if I can make this endeavor work without incident. I am in the process of rebuilding my old library and currently the holder of roughly 1500 game titles. I'm also setup for all console regions and thus aspire to add those region exclusive titles as well. There are some good ones out there that never made it to US shores unfortunately. In light of my collection being so large (and my knack for finding obscure game info), hope to contribute to this growing database that might prove to be extremely useful for me in future game hunting adventures.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #549 on: March 28, 2013, 06:24:22 pm »
Welcome to the site, brunauss!

Sounds like you'll fit in just fine here  ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

brunauss

« Reply #550 on: March 28, 2013, 11:21:29 pm »
Thanx disgaeniac. I like for this to be the last stop in trying out new databases. Many previous failed attempts to establish a database without issues. I first started out with a spreadsheet document, but then exceeded its virtual memory buffer and it took too long to open. Eventually the entries would start disappearing by themselves. So I moved on to a action figure program I messed with to suit my needs and onward to GameCollector. Again the same issue came up. Have yet to see if Sisimizi does the same. Since I have so much data between the two programs, you can be assured that if I spot something that needs fixed. I'll see what I have to add and correct the entry  :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:23:18 pm by brunauss »
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

jcalder8

« Reply #551 on: March 29, 2013, 01:59:26 am »
Welcome to the site brunauss! Do you have a favorite system to collect for?

brunauss

« Reply #552 on: March 29, 2013, 04:28:24 pm »
That is a tough one. Never been one to narrow it down to just one of anything. Lets go as far as four, which would be:
PlayStation 3
Xbox
Dreamcast
PlayStation Portable
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

jcalder8

« Reply #553 on: March 29, 2013, 07:04:32 pm »
That is a tough one. Never been one to narrow it down to just one of anything. Lets go as far as four, which would be:
PlayStation 3
Xbox
Dreamcast
PlayStation Portable
I've never been able to just pick one of anything either :)

« Reply #554 on: March 30, 2013, 06:41:10 am »
Yo, I'm new around here. Well, I've been aware of VGCollect for quite a while, used the site and the Android app and may have posted in the Suggestions section once. Anyway, just saying hello. It's a shame that one's list of Steam games can't be extracted from a profile since I have nearly 400 of them.