Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 246846 times)

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #705 on: January 05, 2014, 12:31:44 pm »
Hello everyone!

I've been gaming since 1992 when I got a Sega Genesis for my 5th birthday, but really became addicted when I got an N64 on XMAS 96. Like most on here, I sold or traded most of my childhood games for newer games or other stuff over the years, and began collecting again in 2008. Aside from having to sell my NTSC Saturn collection back in 2010 to fund a summer semester of school, I have held onto my games and am currently at about 1200 games (have not put all my games in as of the time of this post).

I collect current gen games all the way back to NES, however my favorite games to collect for are 5th (PS1, N64, Saturn) and 6th gen (PS2, Dreamcast, XBOX, Gamecube) games. I mostly hunt all my games in the wild at thrift stores, flea markets, garage sales and places like that, although I do break down and get stuff on Ebay sometimes. I also trade with various other collectors in my area to get harder to find stuff. I have, however, recently slowed down with my collecting, partially out of choice, but also because most of the stuff I want but don't have is harder to find. Instead I am focusing more on playing all the games in my current collection rather than buying more new ones.

A little extra: My favorite games are Shenmue and Shenmue II, my favorite console is the Dreamcast followed by the PS2, and my most wanted game at the time of posting this is The Misadventures of Tron Bonne for the PS1.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you and being apart of a vibrant online gaming community! :D

PS. Going to try and get pics of my game room today (or tomorrow).

bobster

« Reply #706 on: January 05, 2014, 01:22:00 pm »
Hello everyone!

I've been gaming since 1992 when I got a Sega Genesis for my 5th birthday, but really became addicted when I got an N64 on XMAS 96. Like most on here, I sold or traded most of my childhood games for newer games or other stuff over the years, and began collecting again in 2008. Aside from having to sell my NTSC Saturn collection back in 2010 to fund a summer semester of school, I have held onto my games and am currently at about 1200 games (have not put all my games in as of the time of this post).

I collect current gen games all the way back to NES, however my favorite games to collect for are 5th (PS1, N64, Saturn) and 6th gen (PS2, Dreamcast, XBOX, Gamecube) games. I mostly hunt all my games in the wild at thrift stores, flea markets, garage sales and places like that, although I do break down and get stuff on Ebay sometimes. I also trade with various other collectors in my area to get harder to find stuff. I have, however, recently slowed down with my collecting, partially out of choice, but also because most of the stuff I want but don't have is harder to find. Instead I am focusing more on playing all the games in my current collection rather than buying more new ones.

A little extra: My favorite games are Shenmue and Shenmue II, my favorite console is the Dreamcast followed by the PS2, and my most wanted game at the time of posting this is The Misadventures of Tron Bonne for the PS1.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you and being apart of a vibrant online gaming community! :D

PS. Going to try and get pics of my game room today (or tomorrow).

Welcome to the community! Glad to have you :D
Currently Playing: The Witcher

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #707 on: January 05, 2014, 06:17:58 pm »
Welcome to VGCollect. It's a nice, close-knit community with a surprising amount of video game knowledge.

Just a heads up, watch out for a guy named soera.

« Reply #708 on: January 05, 2014, 08:02:34 pm »
bikingjahuty welcome. hope you like the community.

soera

« Reply #709 on: January 05, 2014, 09:06:52 pm »
Welcome to VGCollect. It's a nice, close-knit community with a surprising amount of video game knowledge.

Just a heads up, keep an eye out for a hero named Soera.

Aww thanks!

Veilor

PRO Supporter

« Reply #710 on: January 26, 2014, 06:57:21 am »
Well maybe I should introduce myself, joined like a week or so ago. Found the link on trueachievements.com on some status update and decided I'd check it out, liked the site from start :D. About myself I'm 24 years old, lives in Sweden, alone atm. Been playing video games since I can remember. Mostly played on NES and consoles coming after that.  I like all kind of video games, the only kind of games I have a hard time playing is Sports and big RPG games like FF, DQ and the like, though I recently told myself I'd complete FF13,13-2 & Tales of Vesperia before the end of this year. Nowadays I mostly play on Xbox 360 or PC (steam) and when I feel like it I plug in any of the old consoles.

My collection isn't that big, but I do keep the games I buy, I just can't sell any. I have about 50-60 360 games that I have and a lot of them not completed. I'm also a big Pokémon fan, whenever I get a console with Pokémon games I try to get every game released on it. Have all games for N64 (excluding hey you pikachu as it wasn't released in EU) & Wii. GBA, GB & DS I'm working on slowly and I've yet to get a 3DS as I don't feel the hurry to get one now (nintendo will redesign it more times anyway). I'm also not a perfect collector as I don't mind not having boxes, manuals and the like, if I just have the game it's enough for me.

Well that's me, ask away if there's anything you wonder :)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #711 on: January 26, 2014, 08:17:18 am »
WELCOME to VGCollect VEILOR!

Just curious, since you say that you don't really like RPG's - and then say that you really like Pokemon & that it's one of your favorites...do you not consider Pokemon games as RPG's, or do you kind of just classify Pokemon as in a class/genre all its own?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

karyann

« Reply #712 on: January 26, 2014, 12:00:33 pm »
Seeing this topic in my "unread posts" and not in "replies to your posts" made me realise that I have never introduced myself  :o

So... Hi all! I've been collecting for 4 years, but more seriously for around 2 years. I live in Quebec (Canada) and study computer science. I only collect on Nintendo, Sony and Sega consoles, because first I hate Microsoft  :P and second because there aren't enough exclusives that appeal to me on any xbox system to justify me buying one. My favourite system is the Nintendo DS, but it's kinda in a tie with the 3DS now. I love handheld gaming a lot. I sometimes play computer games, but I don't count them in my collection because it's not my focus at all.

I'm a year late, but they say it's better late than never, right?  :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #713 on: January 26, 2014, 12:38:12 pm »
Seeing this topic in my "unread posts" and not in "replies to your posts" made me realise that I have never introduced myself  :o

So... Hi all! I've been collecting for 4 years, but more seriously for around 2 years. I live in Quebec (Canada) and study computer science. I only collect on Nintendo, Sony and Sega consoles, because first I hate Microsoft  :P and second because there aren't enough exclusives that appeal to me on any xbox system to justify me buying one. My favourite system is the Nintendo DS, but it's kinda in a tie with the 3DS now. I love handheld gaming a lot. I sometimes play computer games, but I don't count them in my collection because it's not my focus at all.

I'm a year late, but they say it's better late than never, right?  :P

(A Hearty & Belated) WELCOME to VGCollect then...

...Carry-on Karyann!

(Geddit?)  :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

Veilor

PRO Supporter

« Reply #714 on: January 26, 2014, 01:22:55 pm »
WELCOME to VGCollect VEILOR!

Just curious, since you say that you don't really like RPG's - and then say that you really like Pokemon & that it's one of your favorites...do you not consider Pokemon games as RPG's, or do you kind of just classify Pokemon as in a class/genre all its own?

Thanks! Yes, I consider Pokémon another type of RPG game than what Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and the like are. They are in my opinion bigger, longer and requires much more time to complete, also much more complex as they have equipment, stat points and all those stuff. With Pokémon you don't really have to pay attention to stats unless you do a lot of VS battles, which I don't.

jcalder8

« Reply #715 on: January 26, 2014, 03:18:39 pm »
Welcome to the site Veilor!

karyann

« Reply #716 on: January 27, 2014, 06:26:18 pm »
Thanks! Yes, I consider Pokémon another type of RPG game than what Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and the like are. They are in my opinion bigger, longer and requires much more time to complete, also much more complex as they have equipment, stat points and all those stuff. With Pokémon you don't really have to pay attention to stats unless you do a lot of VS battles, which I don't.

I like you way of thinking  ;) Though I love both Pokémon and other RPGs. And welcome in the group! :D

anruiukimi

« Reply #717 on: February 02, 2014, 04:55:13 pm »
I was looking for a place to catalog my collection, and I discovered this delightful place! Now to figure out how you link to your collections in your sig like most of you do....

I've recently turned 30, I started playing NES at around 4-5 years old, and while I only buy the occasional video game these days (mostly RPGs or strategy) I still like to keep up with things. My collection largely consists of games I bought new, including NES & SNES games. I have sold off a few things I knew I'd never use again, but besides that, I tend to hold onto things.

I've been known on Dragon's Den for my ridiculous collection of Dragon Quest stuff (plushies and slimes particularly, dishes and CDs as well) which three years in Japan certainly helped along. I've still got friends sending me things.  ::) It was the first RPG I ever played, and even my father jokes that between the RPGs and the Nintendo Powers, it really helped our early reading skills!

While I'm never the most active forum member, it's lovely to meet you all!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:00:32 pm by anruiukimi »

bobster

« Reply #718 on: February 02, 2014, 04:58:27 pm »
I was looking for a place to catalog my collection, and I discovered this delightful place! Now to figure out how you link to your collections in your sig like most of you do....

I've recently turned 30, I started playing NES at around 4-5 years old, and while I only buy the occasional video game these days (mostly RPGs or strategy) I still like to keep up with things. My collection largely consists of games I bought new, including NES & SNES games. I have sold off a few things I knew I'd never use again, but besides that, I tend to hold onto things.

I've been known on Dragon's Den for my ridiculous collection of Dragon Quest stuff (plushies and slimes particularly, dishes and CDs as well) which three years in Japan certainly helped along. I've still got friends sending my things.  ::) It was the first RPG I ever played, and even my father jokes that between the RPGs and the Nintendo Powers, it really helped our early reading skills!

While I'm never the most active forum member, it's lovely to meet you all!
Welcome to the forum! I know myself, and I'm sure Soera, would love to see your Dragon Quest collection. There's a game room pics thread here if you're interested in sharing!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

anruiukimi

« Reply #719 on: February 02, 2014, 05:07:58 pm »

Welcome to the forum! I know myself, and I'm sure Soera, would love to see your Dragon Quest collection. There's a game room pics thread here if you're interested in sharing!

A decent amount of stuff of mine is in storage until I can find alternate dwellings, but I think I have some pictures I shot for a Dragon's Den contest that would work in the mean time... :) Thanks!