Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 250125 times)

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #750 on: March 02, 2014, 09:27:36 pm »
Welcome Kamikaze :)

anruiukimi

« Reply #751 on: March 03, 2014, 12:35:45 am »
Let me be the "Welcome Wagon". Nice to have you. Don't be scared to jump right in and be part of the community. It's a good group here. Nice to have you.  And keep an eye out for a dude named soera. Nothing but trouble.

Lies! Soera is only a little of trouble. I'm far worse (when it comes to enabling, anyway.) :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #752 on: March 03, 2014, 07:05:10 am »
And keep an eye out for a dude named soera. Nothing but trouble.

Second this   ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #753 on: March 03, 2014, 10:15:05 am »
And keep an eye out for a dude named soera. Nothing but trouble.

Second this   ;)

Third ... oh wait, wut? :)

« Reply #754 on: March 03, 2014, 03:11:28 pm »

hello! my name is austin and i've been a lifelong video game enthusiast. started with super nintendo and nintendo 64 growing up. got a ps1 and then a 2. unfortunately i struggled with a drug addiction for 3-4 years and ended up selling my entire collection of games from my childhood for drugs. it really hurts to think about, especially now that snes and n64 games are so inflated at the moment. but it has given me a fresh start to start collecting from scratch.

i decided to collect for NES, Gameboy and Sega Genesis and its been going great.titles aren't to expensive and these three platforms are like uncharted territory for me so its been a blast exploring all these "new" games

im 24 going on 25 and i plan on keeping this hobby to the grave, i love it so. i've had a hard time transitioning from new generations of consoles though so i don't have any plans to buy anything past the 5th gen anytime soon. i've only been collecting for about a year now, but im quite proud of what i've accumulated so far.  once i have all that i want for the nes and genesis i think ill move on to the playstation. but i guess we'll see what happens.

i mainly spend my time on 4chan, but i've really been looking for a good old fashion forum to spend some time on and meet some new e-friends and i think this might be just the place. its great knowing you all.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #755 on: March 03, 2014, 03:41:30 pm »
Welcome to the site Austin - it's great to have you here  ;D

Also, thanks so much for your honest & candid introduction...trust me brother, you're not alone  ;)

In fact, you've made me a bit jealous by getting your shit together at such a young age!

See, in my "Other Life" - I also struggled on & off w/ my own drug addiction(s)...for a long, hard, miserable, lonely, alienated & isolated time (this "Other Life" ended for me a little over 10 years ago).

However, instead of getting it together in my early 20's like you did (which, in & of itself is admirable and no mean feat)...my 'War with Myself' took me to 50+ rehabs & detoxes, a 13 month "therapeutic community", dozens of outpatient programs, 10 years on parole and/or probation, 5 years in jail & prisons in 10 different counties spread over 3 different states, took my driver's license, killed a best friend of mine (watched him OD & die right in front of me - helpless to do anything about it...he was about your age when he died, etc, etc, etc.

I said all of that to say this:

After & in spite of all of that...I eventually went back & got my GED, worked full time, went to college & got my CADC (Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor) -and- wound up working in a rehab; helping others that were just like I used to be - it was very gratifying.

Shit, selling *MY* gaming collection was easy to forgive myself for...it was selling everyone else's that *really* pissed everyone off   :o

So...yeah, congratulations on giving up that 'High Cost of Low Living' sooner & younger than I did   8)

« Reply #756 on: March 05, 2014, 11:28:26 am »
I just realized I've been adding and editing the database but I haven't even introduced myself yet to you guys.

Hi!

I'm Ian!  I live in Pierce County WA.

I play guitar poorly though if that counts (used to play cello, but currently don't have one), I make silly voices usually when nobody else is around, and I want to eventually make my own games.
I have a custom google map of locations I'd like to visit in my life which I add to all the time.  It's mostly all old ruins.

I listen to all sorts of music, but spend more time listening to podcasts currently.

Anywho I think this is long enough, so HI!
Glad to be here =)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #757 on: March 05, 2014, 12:19:54 pm »
I just realized I've been adding and editing the database but I haven't even introduced myself yet to you guys.

Hi!

I'm Ian!  I live in Pierce County WA.

I play guitar poorly though if that counts (used to play cello, but currently don't have one), I make silly voices usually when nobody else is around, and I want to eventually make my own games.
I have a custom google map of locations I'd like to visit in my life which I add to all the time.  It's mostly all old ruins.

I listen to all sorts of music, but spend more time listening to podcasts currently.

Anywho I think this is long enough, so HI!
Glad to be here =)

Welcome to VGC, Ian!

karyann

« Reply #758 on: March 05, 2014, 01:43:09 pm »
Welcome guys! I hope you will enjoy it here in our friendly neighbourhood :)

« Reply #759 on: March 06, 2014, 02:21:40 am »
Welcome to the site Austin - it's great to have you here  ;D

Also, thanks so much for your honest & candid introduction...trust me brother, you're not alone  ;)

In fact, you've made me a bit jealous by getting your shit together at such a young age!

See, in my "Other Life" - I also struggled on & off w/ my own drug addiction(s)...for a long, hard, miserable, lonely, alienated & isolated time (this "Other Life" ended for me a little over 10 years ago).

However, instead of getting it together in my early 20's like you did (which, in & of itself is admirable and no mean feat)...my 'War with Myself' took me to 50+ rehabs & detoxes, a 13 month "therapeutic community", dozens of outpatient programs, 10 years on parole and/or probation, 5 years in jail & prisons in 10 different counties spread over 3 different states, took my driver's license, killed a best friend of mine (watched him OD & die right in front of me - helpless to do anything about it...he was about your age when he died, etc, etc, etc.

I said all of that to say this:

After & in spite of all of that...I eventually went back & got my GED, worked full time, went to college & got my CADC (Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor) -and- wound up working in a rehab; helping others that were just like I used to be - it was very gratifying.

Shit, selling *MY* gaming collection was easy to forgive myself for...it was selling everyone else's that *really* pissed everyone off   :o

So...yeah, congratulations on giving up that 'High Cost of Low Living' sooner & younger than I did   8)

thank you so much for such a warm welcome, and im so glad everything worked out for you in the end. gives me hope for some of my friends...dope is absolutely a living nightmare. i was in a constant state of superficial happiness, just lying to myself the entire time that everything was okay. you just keep reaching new lows. i had to get out, i just wasn't doing anything with my life and i felt completely miserable. it made me grow up fast, i feel like i've been through the ringer, i can only imagine the pain you've had to go through.

with that said, retro games have been a means to cope and recover and i love it.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #760 on: March 06, 2014, 05:33:56 am »
Heh, yeah - that's the thing about "bottoms"...they Always have trap doors  :o

matt

« Reply #761 on: March 10, 2014, 09:38:02 pm »
Welcome all noobies!

« Reply #762 on: April 05, 2014, 04:06:20 pm »
Haii!

Just thought I'd drop a little message here to say hi. I've been lurking for a few weeks already and started putting my collection on here. It's pretty neat and the community seems nice! I've been looking for a forum like this for a while and I'm glad to be part of this community (where it's not only people bragging about how their collection's worth 10 millions haha).

If you guys are wondering, I've been seriously collecting for about a year now. I've been gaming since I was a kid and kept all my games (which I'm really happy about now!). What really started me into collecting seriously was my job at a video game store. I started buying more and more games as some rares came in and we were selling them for cheap, so I bought them. I eventually bought a large amount of games when the boss decided to put all Xbox, GameCube and PlayStation 2 games for $0.99. (Yeah, EVERYTHING for 99 cents) Radiata Stories for 99 cents? HELL YEAH. One of my coworker got Skies of Arcadia Legends for 99 cents aswell. I was soooo jealous haha.
So yeah, I'm collecting pretty much everything, if it's a good deal, I'll take it. I rarely buy new games and when I do, I'm getting them for cheap when they have a rebate or a promotion. I don't buy new games for $60.

At the moment, I've got games for these systems :
 - NES
 - SNES
 - Nintendo 64
 - GameCube
 - Wii

- GameBoy
 - GameBoy Color
 - GameBoy Advance
 - Nintendo DS
 - Nintendo 3DS

- PlayStation
 - PlayStation 2
 - PlayStation 3
 - PSP
 - PS Vita

- Xbox
 - Xbox 360

- Sega Game Gear
 - Sega Genesis

So yeah, that's about it I guess. If you guys got any questions, feel free to ask!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #763 on: April 06, 2014, 07:04:03 am »
Welcome to VGC!

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #764 on: April 06, 2014, 07:28:01 am »
Welcome

Maybe this thread is for you  ;D

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,4705.0.html