Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 246794 times)

foxhack

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #1050 on: January 01, 2015, 04:39:17 pm »
*merge abuse*

kashell

« Reply #1051 on: January 05, 2015, 08:26:20 am »
There's a new person on board? Welcome!

riogho

« Reply #1052 on: January 14, 2015, 08:50:34 pm »
Hello everyone!

davifus

« Reply #1053 on: January 14, 2015, 10:09:07 pm »
Hello everyone!

welcome to VGC
Jackie Moon
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

gf78

« Reply #1054 on: January 20, 2015, 10:24:45 am »
Hello!  My name is Steve, but gf78 here.  I also go by GamerFrom78 on various forums, my PSN ID and I've used that since back around '97 when I started posting on the videogamereview.com website which is long since defunct.  I've been gaming since 1978, but GamerSince78 didn't sound as good.

I've actually sold off the bulk of my collection over the last few years as raising two growing girls who needed their own bedrooms was more important than a mini-museum of gaming goodness.  I used to collect anything and everything, but now focus on PlayStation stuff only.  PlayStation holds a special place in my gaming heart for many reasons.

I frequently end up buying every game in a series as my OCD will not permit me to own Dragon Age Inquisition (for example) without also currently owning Dragon Age Origins, awakening and II.   :o  Most recently, I picked up Tekken 1 and 3 at a used game store and have systematically hunted down every other single Tekken game relentlessly.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1055 on: January 20, 2015, 11:26:36 am »
Welcome to VGC, Steve ;D

In my book - you've already got 3 things going in your favor towards fitting right in with the rest of us & feeling the "kicking off your shoes, putting up your feet, and sticking around for awhile" kind of relaxation & comfort here:

1st = you're far, far, far from alone here in loving & focussing on all things 'PlayStation',

2nd = in general, our regulars here are older than the average gaming site (hell - even our younger members are/act pretty mature for their ages), so...many of us will know what you're talking about (and have used & played games on) things that you may mention concerning  "The Ancient Things", even when you speak/write of them in their now long-dead, ancient, & forgotten  'native' tongue...things like a 2600, C64, Jaguars that you don't drive or run away from, Apples that you can't eat, rotary & (waiting in line to use a) pay phones, rabbit ears & antennas, slugs, floppy discs, and - even tv's that you'd have to make physical contact with to work, and

3rd = we've ALL gots to "catch em all" here...only the definition of all (ie systems, series, genres, etc) changes ;)

A cautionary, yet sadly necessary (pro)tip, warning, bit of friendly advice to all new members here:

Go to ANY & ALL lengths to avoid & stay away from the indescribable entity, known only as...

...The Soera :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1056 on: January 20, 2015, 01:53:31 pm »
Welcome to the family all you new folks. 

Don't be a dick and you'll fit in just fine.  ;D

Oh, and avoid the Soera

gf78

« Reply #1057 on: January 21, 2015, 10:19:45 am »
Welcome to VGC, Steve ;D

In my book - you've already got 3 things going in your favor towards fitting right in with the rest of us & feeling the "kicking off your shoes, putting up your feet, and sticking around for awhile" kind of relaxation & comfort here:

1st = you're far, far, far from alone here in loving & focussing on all things 'PlayStation',

2nd = in general, our regulars here are older than the average gaming site (hell - even our younger members are/act pretty mature for their ages), so...many of us will know what you're talking about (and have used & played games on) things that you may mention concerning  "The Ancient Things", even when you speak/write of them in their now long-dead, ancient, & forgotten  'native' tongue...things like a 2600, C64, Jaguars that you don't drive or run away from, Apples that you can't eat, rotary & (waiting in line to use a) pay phones, rabbit ears & antennas, slugs, floppy discs, and - even tv's that you'd have to make physical contact with to work, and

3rd = we've ALL gots to "catch em all" here...only the definition of all (ie systems, series, genres, etc) changes ;)

A cautionary, yet sadly necessary (pro)tip, warning, bit of friendly advice to all new members here:

Go to ANY & ALL lengths to avoid & stay away from the indescribable entity, known only as...

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I had to laugh about the television comment.  My first television in my room as a kid was a small black & white with rabbit ears and a separate UHF dial with a zillion little numbers on it.  Good times!   8)

Not trying to poo-poo Nintendo's significant contributions to gaming, but Sony really brought it home for me with PlayStation.  Before the PS1, there were no games (in significant measure) on a home console like Resident Evil, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Soul Blade (Edge) and Tomb Raider.  Old series like Castlevania, Metal Gear and Final Fantasy simply exploded into blockbusters on PlayStation.  Gran Turismo was the first sim racer and Ape Escape remains one of my all-time favorites with it's unique (at the time) use of the dual-analog control setup which is commonplace today, but completely revolutionary for it's time.  PlayStation(s) have innovated with playing CD's, DVD's and BluRay's as well.  PS2 was the first modern day (post Atari & Genesis) system with true backward-compatibility with no add-on needed. 

Well, rambled on long enough.  Look forward to "building" my collection here and having lots of future conversations.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

kashell

« Reply #1058 on: January 21, 2015, 11:40:05 am »
Welcome to VGC. The PlayStation era is probably my favorite, so I think you'll feel right at home 'round these parts.

gf78

« Reply #1059 on: January 21, 2015, 02:00:37 pm »
Nice collection.  Once upon a time many moons ago, I had many of the same PS1/PS2 RPG's.  One of my most recent finds was Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II.  Some kid went into the local Gamestop to try and trade this and some other PS2 games in about a month ago.  When they told him they don't take PS2 games any longer, he wanted to pitch it.  My buddy Mike bought it from him dirt cheap and I paid $10 for it.  Complete with everything and just some minor scratches on the back of the disc that would buff out easily.  Since I never had that game and always wanted it without paying a ridiculous premium to obtain it, I was quite happy.  Now if I can just lay my hands on a really nice, reasonably priced copy of Dark Cloud 2..... :'(

« Reply #1060 on: January 22, 2015, 10:35:31 am »
Hello!  My name is Steve, but gf78 here.  I also go by GamerFrom78 on various forums, my PSN ID and I've used that since back around '97 when I started posting on the videogamereview.com website which is long since defunct.  I've been gaming since 1978, but GamerSince78 didn't sound as good.

I've actually sold off the bulk of my collection over the last few years as raising two growing girls who needed their own bedrooms was more important than a mini-museum of gaming goodness.  I used to collect anything and everything, but now focus on PlayStation stuff only.  PlayStation holds a special place in my gaming heart for many reasons.

I frequently end up buying every game in a series as my OCD will not permit me to own Dragon Age Inquisition (for example) without also currently owning Dragon Age Origins, awakening and II.   :o  Most recently, I picked up Tekken 1 and 3 at a used game store and have systematically hunted down every other single Tekken game relentlessly.

Welcome to our little online family :p

It's nice to see another Playstation enthusiast. The PS2 is my second favorite console of all time and I'm currently focusing on obtaining the rest of the PS1 games on my want list.

gf78

« Reply #1061 on: January 22, 2015, 11:39:17 am »
I've got about 50 more PS1 games I am working on.  Unfortunately, they seem to be the more expensive titles for the most part.  Who would have thought that stuff like Jersey Devil, Tomba, Jumping Flash and Twisted Metal (among others) would be so expensive these days?  Other pricey titles are Resident Evil games and anything Squaresoft put out. 

« Reply #1062 on: January 29, 2015, 09:15:05 am »
Hi all,

I'm Asmodean from Sweden. I'm currently in the process of adding my collection here, which mainly consists of Sega and Commodore games this far. My main interests in collecting is mainly the Sega consoles and the early home computers we had here in Europe (Commodore 64/128, Amiga (all flavours), Atari ST/STE etc). Altough I have had computers/consoles for a long while, I haven't really been into collecting as much as I have been the last months.

Anyway, great site! I also collect vinyl records so I was looking for something like discogs, but for video games, and this site seems to be almost that :)

gf78

« Reply #1063 on: January 29, 2015, 11:07:44 am »
Hi all,

I'm Asmodean from Sweden. I'm currently in the process of adding my collection here, which mainly consists of Sega and Commodore games this far. My main interests in collecting is mainly the Sega consoles and the early home computers we had here in Europe (Commodore 64/128, Amiga (all flavours), Atari ST/STE etc). Altough I have had computers/consoles for a long while, I haven't really been into collecting as much as I have been the last months.

Anyway, great site! I also collect vinyl records so I was looking for something like discogs, but for video games, and this site seems to be almost that :)

Welcome to VGC!  I'm pretty new here myself and I have to say not only is the site pretty sweet, but the folks are really nice and great to discuss games and just about everything else with.

soera

« Reply #1064 on: January 29, 2015, 01:03:15 pm »

Oh, and avoid the Soera

The Soera is a great experience!!! Im not sure why people recommend against worshipping the Soera.  ;)