Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 252013 times)

jobocan

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2012, 12:49:47 pm »
Pretty much anyone who collects anything is OCD. Some of us, just more than others.  ;)

Did you see the way I "organize" my games? I'm pretty much the opposite of OCD :P

darko

« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2012, 01:07:56 pm »
BUT...are you all OCD enough to make your own box art for your repro games? That, my friends, is OCD.

We're all OCD, you'll feel right at home!
Oh yeah? Well my OCD's dad could kick your OCD's dad's ass any day!

Ha!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2012, 02:43:54 pm »
What's up world!  My name Jason.  I go by Turf out here in the interwebs.  I started out as a NES collector, but it turns out that was a gateway drug.  Now I collect for most consoles up to the Dreamcast.  I just refuse to start collecting for Playstation.  I guess I should, since it's still in that "not collectable" stage. 
Anyway, I love the NES and it is the center of my collecting problem. 
Nice to meet you guys and I'll try to add a little bit to these forums.

jcalder8

« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2012, 04:14:11 pm »
Welcome to the site turf. Why do you refuse to collect for the PlayStation?

scott

« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2012, 04:27:51 pm »
Welcome to the site and forums Turf!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2012, 04:33:59 pm »
I was wondering that myself. As a RPG collector, the PS1 stands out to me as the single greatest console ever made (I know the games can be played on a PS2 and a PS3 giving it a bigger library but the actual games are PS1). Nothing has even come close.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2012, 04:39:02 pm »
I refuse to collect for the Playstation because I was a huge Nintendo fanboy.  I loved the N64 at the time and hated the playstation.  Also, it seems too new, even though it was the same generation as the N64 and the Dreamcast.  I don't know, maybe it's just not for me.

jcalder8

« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2012, 05:22:53 pm »
Personally I have never been a fan of the PS2 because in my mind it's what killed tje Dreamcast.

soera

« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2012, 05:31:22 pm »
N64 is probably one of the worst systems ever made. :|

And what killed the Dreamcast is a set of some of the most useless controllers ever made.

scott

« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2012, 05:41:46 pm »
I think the system I got behind the most was the PS2, of course I held off on the system until a price drop until I bought it. Then when I did I eventually ended up with over 65-70 games for it, before I trimmed it down to what I have now.

Funny how I was big into the PS2 and hated the Xbox (53 to 12) and now I'm big into 360 and "meh" over my PS3 (58 to 3)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2012, 12:06:29 am »
In all reality the Dreamcast never stood a chance because of Sega's position when it launched.

The SNES and N64 had more to do with killing the console side of Sega than Sony. Sega exited the console market because they did too much too fast followed by too little too late. While Sega pumped tons of money into the 32X and Sega CD (after creating/starting the Bit Wars), Nintendo just kept doing what they did best back then by making really, really good games for the SNES. Sega dicked around and released the Saturn with virtually no solid launch offerings (with the exception of Nights) because they were already hurting and needed to release the first console that round just to stay alive.

The only reason Sony even entered the console market was because they had spent so much money on developing the SNES CD Drive with Nintendo. The SNES CD Drive was supposed to be a joint venture between Nintendo and Sony, but at the last minute Nintendo bounced on the deal because Sony had written some garbage in one of their contracts which entitled them to the rights of every game released for the SNES CD. I could go into the whole game development issues on the Sega CD (moving from carts to CDs was not an easy task), but I'm done ranting. Nintendo and Sega killed Sega, not Sony.

I was a huge Nintendo kid myself so I'm just now getting to the the Sega consoles. I did switch to Sony when I had to make the choice between the N64 and Dreamcast simply because the games on the system appealed to me more. I think the PS2 was one of the greatest systems ever built and they have a library to prove it. I've since moved on to Microsoft because I had a feeling that they would dominate the marketplace this round. I've been really happy with my 360 and, for the most part, the library it has to offer. I do have a PS3 but can count the number of games I've spent a significant amount of time with on one hand. That being said, I do think that the PS3 is a better machine and the UI is MUCH better than the most recent 360 Dashboard.

Wow...that turned into a rambling mess.

Welcome to the site!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:51:25 am by darko »

soera

« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2012, 10:11:59 am »
See what I have to deal with all the time? :P

jcalder8

« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2012, 11:30:46 am »
See what I have to deal with all the time? :P
Don't pretend like you don't like it :P

« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2012, 08:03:23 pm »
Hi!

My name is Paul. I'm a 22 year old living in Boston, Massachusetts and I currently am student at UMASS Boston.

It's hard to name exactly what my favorite games are, but my top list definitely includes A Link to the Past, Toejam & Earl, Street Fighter II Turbo, Bastion, Ocarina of Time, Shenmue... I just realized I can go on an on forever

I particularly collect everything from the NES to the Dreamcast, but I also pick up some more modern games and I may pick up older stuff in the future. When I was younger my parents made me sell my collection, but I recently started collecting again. It's a small collection, but I'm working on it. I love shmups and fighters, and I also play a lot of PC games. I also love going to thrift stores and hunting cheap and sometimes rare finds (like a factory sealed copy of FF7... which I'm looking to sell  ;D) and gaming stores, though the latter is hard because I don't drive.

As stated before, I'm a student at UMASS Boston, I'm a Music major, and I will be going into education in the future.

madmax

« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:25 pm »
How much is your sealed FF7? xD