Author Topic: GameStop Now Accepting Retro Trade-Ins at ALL Locations!  (Read 5309 times)

desocietas

Re: GameStop Now Accepting Retro Trade-Ins at ALL Locations!
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 11:53:41 am »
I'm not too concerned about the mom & pop shops or people not putting stuff up in yard sales. Places like Half Price Books already take retro-current games in our area, though it's possible less people know about that in general. I know my bf sends people down the street to them when they bring in their old stuff to GameStop.

But I agree that there's just a wealth of hate about GS. The thing is, people still bring in their trades. If GS couldn't get away with the prices they give out, they wouldn't be doing it. I know many, if not all, of us don't go to GS to trade in our games. But hey, people do, and some of us are able to get a good deal out of it in the end :D

If anything, I'll be sad that I'll probably no longer get a couple of the freebies that come through when folks used to try to sell back old stuff and didn't want to bother with taking it back home when told that GS couldn't take it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:55:14 am by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

sworddude

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 04:42:27 pm »
I really don't get why there are any people at all who see this as a positive thing because it basicly means that even less deals can be found since people will be selling their stuff at gamestop.

Potentially anyways but seeing as how they are a pretty big brand name you can be pretty sure that there will be even less deals than in the past.

From what I've seen, it's a relatively small number of people who actually bring old games into their stores as far as people who "don't know what they have", often times those people assume old games aren't relevant anymore. The rest (meaning most who will bring in games), are aware of the value of their stuff. Nobody who is really aware of this is going to turn loose of gems for a small amount of store credit there unless they're trade happy and just don't care, which granted some people are.

But, it's a good thing only in the sense that eBay shouldn't be the only force in the market that dictates value, particularly because a lot of shady crap goes on there and values become inflated due to sellers simply deciding to see if they can charge more, and desperate gamers end up paying it. GameStop already acts as a container of outrageous value on some modern games that start taking off. In some cases they keep the price down from eBay sellers going wild with something like Devil's Third, Xenoblade, Calling, just to name a few. Small print releases would be absolutely gouged on eBay, if it weren't for a store like GS. Because we've seen time and time again, scalpers buy and stick them up 3x the price on day one.

Your example is for new games. The xenoblade times were from when the games were released and bought up by scalpers wich also happens in the current day and age with potentially rare sought after releases. However Were talking about old games not games that could potentially be reprinted shortly after release. i have heard that there were some games wich were later on printed again after a few years but this is a really bad example because were talking about the older games.

For new games I really don't care Why should I? but for retrogames there will be less deals out there in the US market. As far as retrogame prices go i'm pretty sure the prices will be just as high and probably allot higher than market value.

As far as deals go. Say that a seller trades in a panzer dragoon saga for say 5 $. Proably allot more but what if. That's one less chance for someone who actually wanted to add the game for cheap in the collection. I am pretty certain that many of such deals (probably less expensive )will be taken thanks to the big brand name game stop. Not all but I'm pretty sure that a solid chunk might dissappear.  I've seen people trade in 300 - 500 euro games for 1- 5 $ in my country it's insanity it will definitely kill some deals even today.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:45:08 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 06:57:56 pm »
I really don't get why there are any people at all who see this as a positive thing because it basicly means that even less deals can be found since people will be selling their stuff at gamestop.

Potentially anyways but seeing as how they are a pretty big brand name you can be pretty sure that there will be even less deals than in the past.

From what I've seen, it's a relatively small number of people who actually bring old games into their stores as far as people who "don't know what they have", often times those people assume old games aren't relevant anymore. The rest (meaning most who will bring in games), are aware of the value of their stuff. Nobody who is really aware of this is going to turn loose of gems for a small amount of store credit there unless they're trade happy and just don't care, which granted some people are.

But, it's a good thing only in the sense that eBay shouldn't be the only force in the market that dictates value, particularly because a lot of shady crap goes on there and values become inflated due to sellers simply deciding to see if they can charge more, and desperate gamers end up paying it. GameStop already acts as a container of outrageous value on some modern games that start taking off. In some cases they keep the price down from eBay sellers going wild with something like Devil's Third, Xenoblade, Calling, just to name a few. Small print releases would be absolutely gouged on eBay, if it weren't for a store like GS. Because we've seen time and time again, scalpers buy and stick them up 3x the price on day one.

Your example is for new games. The xenoblade times were from when the games were released and bought up by scalpers wich also happens in the current day and age with potentially rare sought after releases. However Were talking about old games not games that could potentially be reprinted shortly after release. i have heard that there were some games wich were later on printed again after a few years but this is a really bad example because were talking about the older games.

For new games I really don't care Why should I? but for retrogames there will be less deals out there in the US market. As far as retrogame prices go i'm pretty sure the prices will be just as high and probably allot higher than market value.

As far as deals go. Say that a seller trades in a panzer dragoon saga for say 5 $. Proably allot more but what if. That's one less chance for someone who actually wanted to add the game for cheap in the collection. I am pretty certain that many of such deals (probably less expensive )will be taken thanks to the big brand name game stop. Not all but I'm pretty sure that a solid chunk might dissappear.  I've seen people trade in 300 - 500 euro games for 1- 5 $ in my country it's insanity it will definitely kill some deals even today.

I would almost bet that there isn't a single PDS out there than isn't in the hands of a collector, or someone who is aware of it's status. Too few of them were ever printed. At this point, it's worth giving up those dreams of discovering a huge gem because it's mostly all been found by now. Finding great deals on uncommon games is a thing of the past, a thing that happened before game collecting became a huge hobby over the past 5 years.

Really, unless the market starts to calm down I wouldn't recommend anyone get into this thinking it's feasible to build a big game collection, or even a modest one. I'm just really against eBay being the sole determiner of the market. It's a bad system to rely on, a system that doesn't take into account what anyone else who owns a store, or who goes to a convention are selling their copies for. Instead we allow eBay to set the precedent by merely citing asking prices, and follow it like gospel. We simply need more players in the market that hold clout.

sworddude

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2016, 03:37:29 pm »

I would almost bet that there isn't a single PDS out there than isn't in the hands of a collector, or someone who is aware of it's status. Too few of them were ever printed. At this point, it's worth giving up those dreams of discovering a huge gem because it's mostly all been found by now. Finding great deals on uncommon games is a thing of the past, a thing that happened before game collecting became a huge hobby over the past 5 years.

Are you joking with me what a complete BS are you speaking off :o. Panzer dragoon only in the hand of collectors? and howcome I managed to snagg one for free just a bit over 1 year ago? The european version is only slightly less valuable than a US one very sought after.

Finding deals a thing of the past in what world are you living, I've managed to snagg many deals even this very week. A  200+ 300 euro cib gameboy game for free and I've added many uncommon good games for free to the collection. And the week before that I managed to get zelda's adventure 2 times for only 7,50 to 20 pop a piece a game that easily fetches over 200 $ and usually way more. I pretty much always make deals every week. Even now I have a cheap ps1 lot incoming with 2 uncommon ps1 games for free or a bargain price. 2 games that usually go for 30 - 60 euro's a piece.

I'm glad that I'm not living in your world where there are apparently no deals to be found while I make them almost weekly multiple times  :P

Gamestop will potentially take many great deals away, I am pretty certain of that, fortunately in my country our big gamestops aren't that popular for the mainstream people and are actually doing pretty bad financially, might be gone within the following years I hope  ::). Mixed feelings about the smaller ones since I've managed to snagg many uncommon good games for 5 euro's or less.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:59:55 pm by sworddude »

maximo310

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2016, 04:58:14 pm »
^ Not to butt in or anything, but some places don't have too many deals locally. But PDS is probably not the best example to use for finding a steal of a deal; I'd say that quite a bit of uncommon stuff can be found for good deals if you look hard enough.

It also depends on if you live in a city or have lots of stores near you, or if you find other people ( either online or locally) who are selling stuff.
I'm not too happy about GS jumping right in since buying retro is a crapshoot due to no way to determine condition, most stores don't have any retro stock, and the trade values can range from pretty okish on the cheaper stuff to pretty bad ( $27.50 for Earthbound for trade cred, $22 for cash). I'd only buy if they'd actually change some of their approach, but I doubt that will happen with how badly run the company is now.

sworddude

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2016, 05:07:07 pm »
^ Not to butt in or anything, but some places don't have too many deals locally. But PDS is probably not the best example to use for finding a steal of a deal; I'd say that quite a bit of uncommon stuff can be found for good deals if you look hard enough.

It also depends on if you live in a city or have lots of stores near you, or if you find other people ( either online or locally) who are selling stuff.
I'm not too happy about GS jumping right in since buying retro is a crapshoot due to no way to determine condition, most stores don't have any retro stock, and the trade values can range from pretty okish on the cheaper stuff to pretty bad ( $27.50 for Earthbound for trade cred, $22 for cash). I'd only buy if they'd actually change some of their approach, but I doubt that will happen with how badly run the company is now.

online deals can be made wherever you live unless you have a really bad internet connection but than again such people aren't on these kind of forums anyways.

Your local deals aren't always the best far from it, at least in my experience when buying some deals. Your also making your chances pretty limited if you only try to get local deals. Local deals are awesome and there is a nice advantage at that but otherwise your missing out on allot.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 05:13:04 pm by sworddude »

maximo310

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2016, 05:31:35 pm »

online deals can be made wherever you live unless you have a really bad internet connection but than again such people aren't on these kind of forums anyways.

Your local deals aren't always the best far from it, at least in my experience when buying some deals. Your also making your chances pretty limited if you only try to get local deals. Local deals are awesome and there is a nice advantage at that but otherwise your missing out on allot.
That's very true; a combination of both methods is the best way to go. Sure, it can be tedious sometimes, but just like other things in this hobby, sometimes you gotta invest time in order to score big.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2016, 09:09:59 pm »
The whole thing is a joke. I just looked some stuff up. Get this: They take Fear Effect 2, but not the first game. They take SW: Rogue Squadron III, but not SW: Rogue Squadron II. They don't have Virtua Racing listed. Earthbound is given like $25 credit, but sells for over $200.

Way to screw things up, GameStop.

Warmsignal

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2016, 10:55:02 pm »
Are you joking with me what a complete BS are you speaking off :o. Panzer dragoon only in the hand of collectors? and howcome I managed to snagg one for free just a bit over 1 year ago? The european version is only slightly less valuable than a US one very sought after.

Finding deals a thing of the past in what world are you living, I've managed to snagg many deals even this very week. A  200+ 300 euro cib gameboy game for free and I've added many uncommon good games for free to the collection. And the week before that I managed to get zelda's adventure 2 times for only 7,50 to 20 pop a piece a game that easily fetches over 200 $ and usually way more. I pretty much always make deals every week. Even now I have a cheap ps1 lot incoming with 2 uncommon ps1 games for free or a bargain price. 2 games that usually go for 30 - 60 euro's a piece.

I'm glad that I'm not living in your world where there are apparently no deals to be found while I make them almost weekly multiple times  :P

Gamestop will potentially take many great deals away, I am pretty certain of that, fortunately in my country our big gamestops aren't that popular for the mainstream people and are actually doing pretty bad financially, might be gone within the following years I hope  ::). Mixed feelings about the smaller ones since I've managed to snagg many uncommon good games for 5 euro's or less.

It's called the US of A, and it's not a treasure-trove unless you are theflea. In the USA, PDS is probably the smallest print game for the Saturn, a console that is so uncommon, you rarely ever see even the top selling games. PS1 and N64 outsold Saturn like 10 to 1 here. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen Virtua Cop while game hunting over eight years. In that time of game hunting, supply has sharply declined on every front. But, I don't much care at this point. 

sworddude

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2016, 02:47:48 am »

It's called the US of A, and it's not a treasure-trove unless you are theflea. In the USA, PDS is probably the smallest print game for the Saturn, a console that is so uncommon, you rarely ever see even the top selling games. PS1 and N64 outsold Saturn like 10 to 1 here. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen Virtua Cop while game hunting over eight years. In that time of game hunting, supply has sharply declined on every front. But, I don't much care at this point.

In europe It might be even worse the print run of the sega saturn console is terrible in europe. There are barely any sega saturn deals in europe let alone nice condition games. It's already pretty nice to see a lose console let alone cib with nice games.

In europe the sega saturn is also a pretty rare console, as for sale figures I have no precise indication but it can't be good since I'm pretty sure it might be even worse than 10 to 1 if I look at the current market and the offers for european sega saturn games and consoles here in europe.

As far as hunting games in the wild goes It's pathetic, sega didn't do as well in europe as they did in the US.

soera

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2016, 02:07:44 pm »
I look at it like this. If a person trades in some ridiculously rare game to Gamestop, chances that the game was going to get on the market otherwise is pretty slim. Most people that own and play games are not collectors and as such, they havent considered the fact that the items they have are worth untold amounts to other people. Gamestop is the most well known game store for non collectors.

sworddude

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2016, 02:25:51 pm »
I look at it like this. If a person trades in some ridiculously rare game to Gamestop, chances that the game was going to get on the market otherwise is pretty slim. Most people that own and play games are not collectors and as such, they havent considered the fact that the items they have are worth untold amounts to other people. Gamestop is the most well known game store for non collectors.

Yes exactly and allot of those people just sell it on for example craigslist for a cheap ass deal because they want to get rid of it. At least that's how I get allot of my deals.

Chances of those game getting on the market are actually really high if there was not such a place as gamestop it might have been sold for a pretty small amount when one is lucky or at least a really nice deal.

Again like i said in my country our biggest game stores aren't well known, the retro supply is pretty limited on those brand named stores thanks to that.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:35:38 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2016, 05:53:28 pm »
Yes exactly and allot of those people just sell it on for example craigslist for a cheap ass deal because they want to get rid of it. At least that's how I get allot of my deals.

Except that to the people trading in games at gamestop, even posting on Craigslist is considered too much effort. These people want to spend the least amount of effort possible to get money into their pocket, and schlepping the box of games over to the gamestop in the mall as a small detour during your regular shopping excursions is so much easier than to take the time to write up an ad, waiting for someone to contact them, talking with them, and setting up a meeting. It doesn't matter to them that they got less money, all that matters is that they've got the item out of their hair and their wallet's now a bit fatter.

aliensstudios

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2016, 11:29:02 pm »
The whole thing is a joke. I just looked some stuff up. Get this: They take Fear Effect 2, but not the first game. They take SW: Rogue Squadron III, but not SW: Rogue Squadron II. They don't have Virtua Racing listed. Earthbound is given like $25 credit, but sells for over $200.

Way to screw things up, GameStop.
Holy crap…
In a post I made earlier in this discussion, I stated without knowing but just guessing what I thought there trade in price for EarthBound and Pocky and Rocky would be… I guessed 40 dollars, the actual amount they'd give you is 44 dollars for both lol
I know those thieving bastards all too well
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

aliensstudios

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2016, 11:32:35 pm »
Actually, you'd only get the 22 dollars if you're a Game Stop Pro Member. A regular shmuck would get the exact value I estimated, 20 dollars for each.

Game Stop is the devil.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."