Author Topic: Stupid/Bizarre things you believed as a child.  (Read 1623 times)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Stupid/Bizarre things you believed as a child.
« on: October 31, 2016, 12:24:27 pm »
When i was young, i use to believe "serial killers" were "cereal killers" and that there has been a series of people, poisoning cereal at the supermarket to kill people.

how about you guys?  8)
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

desocietas

Re: Stupid/Bizarre things you believed as a child.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 12:38:52 pm »
aw, I hope you weren't scared to eat cereal because of that...

I remember how I used to think that the buses were always scheduled to be passing each other at every stop. Like if I was waiting at a bus stop, and a bus came from the other side, that must mean that the bus coming my way was scheduled to be there soon. Didn't matter which stop I was at, what day it was, etc. I also thought that buses had to stop at every corner and that the bus stop signs only indicated where the pickup point was, but that they could drop you off at any corner you wanted on their route.

I guess I didn't really think about number of buses, schedules, and how bus stops actually worked, lol.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

azure

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 12:42:04 pm »
We didn't have a chimney at my childhood home, my mother told me that Santa used his "Magic" to slip under the door instead. I believed this for quite some time throughout my early childhood.

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 01:07:55 pm »
I thought the ice crystals inside an ice cube was a bug

I misinterpreted lyrics on countless song.

I believe WWIII was imminent (this was during the 90s mind you)

thewelshman

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 03:20:24 pm »
When I was a kid, my parents use to tell me that if I were bad, Santa would bring me switches, as in whippings. I honestly believed they meant light switches for year after I stopped believing in Santa. I remember wondering what point was Santa trying to convey.

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 04:33:20 pm »
I believed if you were to die suddenly (in other words: not of old age) you would continue to live out a reality were your death never occurred. You wouldn't find out your true time of death until you died naturally in your own reality.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 09:05:31 pm »
I used to believe it was possible to dig a hole in my backyard so deep I would pop out in China.

soera

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 10:56:15 pm »
I used to believe it was possible to dig a hole in my backyard so deep I would pop out in China.

I think everyone believed that!

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 09:09:09 am »
Two things come to mind, although I'm sure there are several more.

1. When I first heard the word "carpool", I imagined a big pool with ramps so you could drive your car in and out of it. It seemed perfectly reasonable at the time, although I did wonder what the purpose was. Maybe some kind of car wash?

2. There used to be a few signs around parking lots that said "Park & Ride". As a kid, I kept looking for the parks with rides, until I asked my mom where the parks with rides were because I was sure they had to be close, because of the signs. She explained what it meant and I was disappointed.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

rayne315

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 10:56:28 am »

I think everyone believed that!

I never actually believed this. what I did believe though was that if I dug down far enough in my back yard I would find...

1. oil
2. gold (in the form of buried treasure or baseball sized nuggets of gold)
3. a spring that would start flowing and turn my backyard into a river
4. dinosaur bones
5. a cave

I also believed that shells grew out of rocks because our gravel driveway (which were the only rocks around) kept on being the dumping ground for river muscle shells from animals in the night (so I never got to see them do it) which now that I think about is weird because I grew up 3-4 miles from the river.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 10:59:26 am »
Two things come to mind, although I'm sure there are several more.

1. When I first heard the word "carpool", I imagined a big pool with ramps so you could drive your car in and out of it. It seemed perfectly reasonable at the time, although I did wonder what the purpose was. Maybe some kind of car wash?

2. There used to be a few signs around parking lots that said "Park & Ride". As a kid, I kept looking for the parks with rides, until I asked my mom where the parks with rides were because I was sure they had to be close, because of the signs. She explained what it meant and I was disappointed.

haha, i thought the same thing, i was like "man, there sure a lot of these around, but i cant see them! (we were on the freeway though)
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

doafan

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 03:00:40 pm »
This is a tricky thread right and you just want to see/know how stupid we were as kids and yes I was stupid in some ways:

* Wrestling is real: Had the idea that the wrestlers hated each other inside and outside the ring, that all the punches and kicks were real too so every time I used to be in front off the TV I was yelling like a virgin being penetrated for the very first time every time that mi favorite wrestler was being attacked.
* That TV programs can be paused: As ridiculous that this can sound every time that I had to attend school and I was watching cartoons had the idea that if I turned off the TV when I came back I from school I can continue watching the show just were I leaved the last time.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 04:50:23 pm »
Santa lol

But with that aside here are some others I used to believe :D

1. Babies were delivered from the sky by angels
2. Godzilla was going to come to life and invade japan :) (Still believe this one)
3. The horror movie villain scream was living in my closet waiting to kill me
4. I could move objects with Telekinesis if I tried hard enough.
5. WWE was real
6. If you beat Super Mario 64 in 1 hour You get to ride Yoshi.
7. India was where the Indians (Native Americans) went
8. Ronald McDonald would be at McDonalds some day (never happened :( )
9. A dream is a parallel universe that you enter and return from during the night (Still believe this one)
10. School was invented so parents could have alone time or bother with other kids
11. Chicken Fingers were actually chicken fingers
12. My TV was possessed by the villains in my video game
13. Obama was going to change things.

:)