Author Topic: The Final Fantasy Thread  (Read 5817 times)

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 04:55:57 pm »
Anyone else been playing Final Fantasy XV?  I've been loving it, it's a very different Final Fantasy game, but it borrows a lot from past games in fun ways.  Not that it's perfect, it has a few issues that I'll talk about once I'm done with the game, but I haven't been this into an FF game since 10.

Though does anyone else feel like Elemancy is kinda useless most of the time? You can be hurt and also damage your party using it, so I almost never use it unless I have to like against Flan or if a big group is far enough away, I can toss it at them before my group jumps in.  Sometimes I'll do it anyways, cause it doesn't do huge damage on your teammates, but it does seem like an odd decision.  It's also kind of minimal in what it does.  They are all basically grenades, no fireballs, or direct attacks that I've seen.  You can customize them in a ton of different ways, adding different effects and such, but it's all roughly similar in execution.

soera

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 05:04:53 pm »
I got the true ending of World of FF this morning so I plan to install XV tonight. I will post my thoughts soon.

davifus

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 06:28:12 pm »
I'm about hour or so in the game but I can list my current pro/con.

Pro
- Looks nice
- Combat is pretty fun [Esp. warping aspect and dodging]
- The gang is likable [prompto might get slightly annoying but still fits right in]
- Cindy looks good ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

Con
- The driving mechanic is insulting [Just make Ignis drive and enjoy the view]
- Fishing is really a drag and annoying [a lot more tedious than the other guys specialties].
- The beginning and parts of the game is a completely walking simulator where I'm constantly sprinting and gasping for air while being stasis because I'm spamming warp to get to the check point faster.
- Combat can be very spam heavy.
- Story seems kind of generic? Idk from the information I got its kind of... okay? [Will have to play more]

That's all for now, probably more after i clock in more time into the game.

FFX is still the greatest FF game.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

desocietas

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 06:40:43 pm »
I've only played about two hours, but I'm enjoying it so far. I'm trying out the wait mode and, while it can be a little clunky, is nice when I just want to stop and take a look at enemy positioning to strategize something like a magic spell. Same goes for restoratives and such. I'm having fun just running around looking for treasure and such.

The one thing I keep seeing people mention as a point of disinterest to them is the fact that the main party is comprised entirely of guys. I mean, maybe it's just because I prefer hanging around guys anyway, ha, but it's not an issue to me at all. Do people really care that much about having a co-ed group? The female characters in other FF games haven't always been that interesting to me (often too feminine and not relatable to me) with the big exception of Fran from FFXII.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 07:45:48 pm »
I'm about hour or so in the game but I can list my current pro/con.

Pro
- Looks nice
- Combat is pretty fun [Esp. warping aspect and dodging]
- The gang is likable [prompto might get slightly annoying but still fits right in]
- Cindy looks good ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

Con
- The driving mechanic is insulting [Just make Ignis drive and enjoy the view]
- Fishing is really a drag and annoying [a lot more tedious than the other guys specialties].
- The beginning and parts of the game is a completely walking simulator where I'm constantly sprinting and gasping for air while being stasis because I'm spamming warp to get to the check point faster.
- Combat can be very spam heavy.
- Story seems kind of generic? Idk from the information I got its kind of... okay? [Will have to play more]

That's all for now, probably more after i clock in more time into the game.

FFX is still the greatest FF game.

Alot of the cons will change as you play.  I'm many hours in, level 30, and at a certain point, I believe once you hit the story point to go to Duscae, you can then drive whenever you want, or auto drive, your choice.  In Duscae you'll get chocobo's to ride, which are great and they are best for going to quests and such since they can be summoned at any point.

Fishing is kinda boring, but yeah, it's a minor thing.

There's a trick they don't talk about, but when you are sprinting, just as your sprint is about to run out, hit sprint again, and you'll do a quick phase and completely refill your stamina.  Noctis actually has infinite stamina.

Combat is abit spammy.  You do get more abilities and such, and eventually you'll have to change targets a lot more, but it gets better.

This is definitely a slow build story.  It doesn't start out epic really and you probably haven't even done chapter 1 yet.  The story really begins then.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 10:33:17 pm »
I've never played a single FF game, but recently I got FFIII for the SNES and thought I should finally give one a go.

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 06:12:57 am »
God damn, got to the second map in Final Fantasy 15 and it's an impressive locale.  Very dense place to explore for the first time.  Honestly not a ton of interesting things to find, but it's a vast shift in tone from what I had been doing the previous 30 hours.

desocietas

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 02:47:15 pm »
I'm only about 8 hours in, and that's just in the third rest area or so. I've been having fun just looking for sidequest and other random finds. I'm enjoying the game a lot. Gonna be fighting over game time on it later tonight 'cause the bf is home. I probably spent like an hour on the stupid Justice Monsters V minigame, though, with not a lot to show for it. Not sure what the point of the game is, but I guess I'll find out as the game continues? Hopefully...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 03:58:22 pm »
I'm only about 8 hours in, and that's just in the third rest area or so. I've been having fun just looking for sidequest and other random finds. I'm enjoying the game a lot. Gonna be fighting over game time on it later tonight 'cause the bf is home. I probably spent like an hour on the stupid Justice Monsters V minigame, though, with not a lot to show for it. Not sure what the point of the game is, but I guess I'll find out as the game continues? Hopefully...

Yeah I didn't see what the game offered either.  I got my collector's guide in, so I'm gonna browse a few things in it to see if its explained or worth doing, cause it's a kinda fun minigame, but I don't want to spend a lot of time if all I'm gonna get is some basic items lol

*EDIT*
Browsed the guide, but didn't find anything right away for Justice Monsters 5.  It's possible it's only like Trophy material, but there's spoilers at that end of the book, so I won't be looking too much there till I get through the story lol
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 05:47:09 pm by kamikazekeeg »

desocietas

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2016, 08:23:23 pm »

Yeah I didn't see what the game offered either.  I got my collector's guide in, so I'm gonna browse a few things in it to see if its explained or worth doing, cause it's a kinda fun minigame, but I don't want to spend a lot of time if all I'm gonna get is some basic items lol

*EDIT*
Browsed the guide, but didn't find anything right away for Justice Monsters 5.  It's possible it's only like Trophy material, but there's spoilers at that end of the book, so I won't be looking too much there till I get through the story lol

The only thing I've found online so far is the list of rewards for the number of treasures you receive (the gold boxes that look like pieces of wood). Seems like the highest is 99 (I got up to 98 then earned 3 more, and it capped off at 99). I got 99 and didn't get a trophy or anything for it -___-  Probably obvious, but you don't get a cumulative collection of items for each tier you hit. Just whatever single item that meets the threshold you got to.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 06:50:12 am »
Nearing the end of the story, but took a break close to the end of Chapter 13 which is the second to last chapter.  Found out you can go back to Lucis after you hit the no return point around Chapter 8.  Kind of an interesting way too do it and I really needed it because Chapter 13 kinda sucks.  It introduces a new tone to what is going that does work pretty well, the problem is that it goes for way too damn long.  There's kind of a new tension, a vibe I can't specify because it would sorta ruin the surprise slightly, but you'll probably get it to once you get there.  Though with it dragging on for too long, the tension dissipates and it's replaced with boredom.

I think in the end, the biggest problems with the game are going to come down to the story, even once I get the full truth of what is going on.  I think the game is a bunch of fun, some great ideas, great details, but while the overall plot is awesome, the execution isn't.  It's too disjointed, like they were missing a lot of interaction between characters at certain points.  When Kingsglaive is mandatory to watch, you've made an error from the start.

But when I went back to Lucis to do more regular questing as I was talking about before, some crazy quest side story happened and blew my mind and made me happy again after wading through Chapter 13.  Those moments keep me going for sure, because even at this point after 30 to 40 hours of playing, I still find stuff that gets me excited to do more.  I'll probably be playing this through a lot of December and there's a good chance I'll do New Game + when they add it in later and I rarely do that stuff.

kashell

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 09:39:02 am »
So do I need to watch Kingsglaive before playing the game?

desocietas

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 01:01:36 pm »

I think it would help a lot, yes. The Brotherhood anime (free on various places - YouTube, Netflix, Crunchyroll) is also good, too, and short.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

doafan

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 01:06:54 pm »
Am not a big fan of the franchise but I'll leave my comments

* Final Fantasy VIII: It was the first title that I played from this genre and totally felt in love with everything, the characters, weapons, the bosses and that amazing intro sequence totally caught my attention I even purchased the strategy guide a couple of weeks later cause got the idea that I was missing a lot of stuff and that will need help to reach the last part of the game but I was wrong, beat the game not only one time without it and still beat it every time that I want to remember some good old times also something curious or silly is that purchased FFVII but didn't liked the characters and the story so I traded for another game, dunno why but for some strange reason had the idea that if I played the seventh part that  would be able to see a younger Squall.

* Final Fantasy III: Even when FFX and FFXII have better graphics and sound this was the second title that I completed, the idea of playing anywhere even at the damn toilet (yes I did played there) always make me wonder why the hell Sony never released the FF VIII at the PSP, at that time I definitely would purchase the console just to play that title again, anyway the idea of the Jobs that you can acquire and apply for each characters it's brilliant, that's why purchased the strategy guide for this one too, now because of this thread and since my DS is keeping dust in one shoe box and honestly don't want to use I'll play it again at my daughter's 2DS.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

kashell

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 01:30:11 pm »

I think it would help a lot, yes. The Brotherhood anime (free on various places - YouTube, Netflix, Crunchyroll) is also good, too, and short.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip!