Author Topic: The Final Fantasy Thread  (Read 5802 times)

soera

Re: The Final Fantasy Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 02:24:19 pm »
Just picked this up :

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 03:35:19 pm »
So do I need to watch Kingsglaive before playing the game?

Definitely.  It helps explain some rather important plot elements related to Lunafreya, her brother, and some of the games background especially at the start.  It's unfortunate how important they made it, rather than being just supplemental or to simply expand on plot elements.

Just picked this up :

Damn, lucky you lol That was a cool promo display.

desocietas

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 04:25:21 pm »
So do I need to watch Kingsglaive before playing the game?

I think it would help a lot, yes. The Brotherhood anime (free on various places - YouTube, Netflix, Crunchyroll) is also good, too, and short.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip!

No problem! Hope you enjoy them! The biggest confusion for me was not realizing that the crown city was named Insomnia, lol.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 04:45:51 pm »
Isn't Kingsglaive only available with one of the special editions of FFXV? That seems kind of lame.

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 04:51:06 pm »
Isn't Kingsglaive only available with one of the special editions of FFXV? That seems kind of lame.

Kingsglaive is available separately.  There's a deluxe edition that has the movie, game, and anime I think in one, but you can just rent Kingsglaive on amazon for like 5 bucks if you just want to do that.

Also, after seeing the display from above, I thought I'd go see if there were any FFXV posters left and I came out with this display for the game lol I didn't know till I grabbed it that it is double sided with the Tomb Raider anniversary game.  I have no idea how I'll display this in my room.  I thought about putting up a low shelf with command strips so that it sits up and on the wall, so maybe that'll work lol

soera

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 05:11:25 pm »
Mine is ... was ... double sided too. It had Deus Ex on the back in the same fashion with the bubbled outside but that stopped it from sitting well in my room. So I got out a blade and surgically removed the entire back half. Now it looks good. :D

My game stop didnt have that display you picked up or they probably would have made me take it too. :P

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 05:32:11 pm »
Mine is ... was ... double sided too. It had Deus Ex on the back in the same fashion with the bubbled outside but that stopped it from sitting well in my room. So I got out a blade and surgically removed the entire back half. Now it looks good. :D

My game stop didnt have that display you picked up or they probably would have made me take it too. :P

Yeah I might razor mine also so that it can sit flat or flatter.  I hate to cut stuff like this up, but there's just no way I can deal with this any other way lol

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 12:43:14 am »
And I beat the game.  Overall, this game is like a strong 8 out of 10 if I had to place it.  I think it suffers some in the story department, where they just don't put enough work into truly fleshing out the story properly.  I think overall it's a great story that isn't over-complicated like Final Fantasy kinda tends to be and in some ways slightly more grounded, as much as a game involving gods and demons can be I guess lol I also really do enjoy the main group of guys as it's the most cohesive group that's probably be done for the series, even if I do sorta miss getting a growing group of teammates.  It all feels so genuine and enjoyable.  The game itself is really well done, even if the camera and combat is abit questionable at times.  I had fun exploring the world which really matters a lot and I actually want to keep playing the game because there's side stuff I missed.  That's the sign of a good RPG I think and could be my game of the year perhaps.

I'm really hoping that this is kind of the groundwork of the series for the future or for other games.  Rather than always abandoning everything every how many years it is between games, I'd like to see them take this core they have, and make it better either with a sequel of some sort or all setting.  There's a lot of amazing stuff they can do with what they have.  I'd be very happy if this is what Final Fantasy 7 Remake turns out to be.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:46:00 am by kamikazekeeg »

soera

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2016, 12:52:14 am »
I havent played it much yet ... but Im hoping the combat gets more comfortable. Its the one turn off I have atm. If anything, I miss the FF VII combat.  :-\ World of FF combat is good too.

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2016, 01:21:06 am »
I havent played it much yet ... but Im hoping the combat gets more comfortable. Its the one turn off I have atm. If anything, I miss the FF VII combat.  :-\ World of FF combat is good too.

I'm personally glad turn based is gone.  The combat does generally improve later once you've gotten the hang of it and it takes abit, but the combat never really expands or become anything different.  It's not like a Bayonetta or anything like that.  My issues with it is that the camera isn't particularly great and there's like two boss fights that kinda just go autoplay to a certain degree that is exciting to watch, but not particularly interesting to play, though I was quite overpowered level wise for them so it went quick.  Not sure if it's any better at a more average level.

Flashback2012

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2016, 02:17:00 am »

Like kamikazekeeg said, it's available separately in either DVD or Blu-Ray. The BR version comes in standard packaging or in a special Steelbook (if you can find it). Though it doesn't do you much good now, the Steelbook release was on sale last week at Best Buy for $18.  :P

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2016, 03:39:16 am »

Like kamikazekeeg said, it's available separately in either DVD or Blu-Ray. The BR version comes in standard packaging or in a special Steelbook (if you can find it). Though it doesn't do you much good now, the Steelbook release was on sale last week at Best Buy for $18.  :P

Dang, I missed that, I should've grabbed it myself lol Worth getting just to be able to watch the first action scene and the final like 20 to 30 minutes of the movie.

A neat little thing I just found out, but you can totally use a summon in the dungeons.  You wouldn't think that, since these are the largest summons ever, but at least Ramuh will do his staff strike and I'm like DEEP in the hardest dungeon of the game apparently, and it pierced the ceiling, with crashing stone to make it seem real, and worked.  That is awesome lol  One thing to note about getting to the end, is that it's a disappointing amount of summons for an FF game.  There's only 6 Astrals.  They are GLORIOUS, but you don't get to use two of them, so really, only 4 usable summons.  Its not something that hampers the game at all, because I kinda like only having these once in awhile to use.  When they can be used, it's a real treat, but I would've liked to have seen more.  Also Carbuncle is only available in Easy mode, which is dumb.

Sidenote, I just realized how apparently easy it is to Platinum this game.  I wasn't even trying, but there aren't any insane trophies, like beat every single hunt or find every item or anything ridiculous like that.  All I have left is to max out three skills for the characters, which isn't super bad, and then beat the hardest boss in the entire game, which could be a problem lol He apparently will take a legit hour to beat with a team roughly around high 60's to 70, which I'm at right now.  I could maybe grind out to 75 without getting too bored with hunts perhaps, but that is rough lol
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:25:14 am by kamikazekeeg »

kashell

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2016, 08:17:09 am »
Got a text message last night from my brother:

"FF15 is weird.. its like it's trying to be GTA. I just turned it off to play more Shadow Hearts lol"

I've barely read or seen anything about FFXV, but that's not true, is it?

Although, I'm sure Shadow Hearts is much better. ^.~
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:23:20 am by kashell »

desocietas

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2016, 10:04:29 am »
Honestly, it did remind me of GTA because of the character movements when you're running around and walking into people... which happens a lot. The free roam aspect and looking for missions and such, yeah, I definitely called it GTA: Crown City at one point.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2016, 03:42:29 pm »
Got a text message last night from my brother:

"FF15 is weird.. its like it's trying to be GTA. I just turned it off to play more Shadow Hearts lol"

I've barely read or seen anything about FFXV, but that's not true, is it?

Although, I'm sure Shadow Hearts is much better. ^.~

I have no idea what Shadow Hearts is, though a quick look just has it as a standard old turn based RPG.  FFXV is not trying to be GTA, it's much more comparable to The Witcher I think.  Doesn't quite have the same depth as Witcher 3, but it feels more along the line of western RPG's than the usual Final Fantasy game.  You got your cooking items and ore you pick up running around, there are lots of hunts to go for taking out creatures, you got a mount to use, there's crafting for spells...