Author Topic: 2017 In Gaming  (Read 3457 times)

2017 In Gaming
« on: December 06, 2016, 11:20:38 pm »
With most of the big games finally released for 2016 and only a couple weeks till 2017, what games are you looking forward to next year?

Yakuza 0 & Yakuza Kiwami - I've always wanted to try out this series, especially with my Japanese culture draw lately, so I'm very glad we are getting 0 and the remake of Yakuza one in the same year.

Resident Evil 7 - I'm both excited and reserved for this one.  I am glad they are moving back to a more true survival horror experience, but I feel a lot of it is too familiar to games that are nothing but jump scares, hiding, and running.  That's not a fun game to me, but RE7 has actual combat in it, so I'm curious if that'll work better for me.  I have played the demo and they are suitably creepy, which is a good start.

Berserk: Band of the Hawk - I've never liked too many of the Musou games, but with Hyrule Warriors and then Attack on Titan, and now Berserk which looks bloody and crazy as a Berserk game should be, I'm stoked to play this. I find it funny that the video game looks way better than the anime lol

Horizon: Zero Dawn - Open World? Check.  Scifi? Check.  Post-Apocalyptic? Check.  Kinda everything I love lol

Mass Effect: Andromeda - I've liked the series with ME2&3, so it'll be nice to return and its looks like a pretty nice overhaul with more exploration and a whole new galaxy to explore.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole - It's dumb, it's fun, so I'll definitely grab this.

Yooka-Laylee & A Hat in Time - One is a game made by fans of the original N64 platformers, like Banjo-Kazooie.  The other is a game that is a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie made by people who also made Banjo-Kazooie.  I love everything about both.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - I'm not someone that particularly loves the western setting, nothing wrong with it, but I had a great time with the first game and this is one I've been wanting them to make since GTA5 came out, because if this game is nearly as good as that, or better, I will be amazed.  That's a great open world.

Games I'm interested in, but not sure of yet.
-Nioh
-For Honor
-Nier: Automata
-Prey

Re: 2017 In Gaming
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:06:13 am »
I haven't really been looking at whats coming next year but the titles that come to mind are Persona 5, Horizon: Zero Dawn, For Honor, and maybe that Ghost Recon game if that's scheduled to come out next year. Those are the ones I can right away think of that I've been looking forward to but I'm sure there's plenty of other titles I'm forgetting and will love.

soera

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 12:30:17 am »
If everything slated goes the way its supposed to, 2017 has the possibility to be the best year in gaming ever. Just for DQ alone, its imaginable that DQ VIII, DQ XI, Builders II, and DQ heroes II can all see a release in the states. A sequel to the greatest game ever created, Ni no Kuni, is on board for 2017. Episode 1 of FF VII reinvented expected as well as FF XII Zodiac and (if the rumor is correct) FF Collection. KH III could make it to light. Horizon zero dawn. God of War: Norse edition (my name for the game).

And Im going to predict a few more titles. Ys VIII translated and Bravely Default 3 announcement.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 01:33:59 am »
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: This game looks incredibly special in nearly every way. While I am very excited about the open world aspect, the game just looks, special, like Ocarina of Time special. Here's hoping.

Horizon: Zero Dawn: Possibly my most hyped game of next year. I was sold on this title from the moment I saw the E3 trailer back in 2015. Very high hopes that this one with me excellent.

Nier: Automata: This game looks like Platinum games and Cave (makers of SHMUPS such as Mishihimesama and Dodonpachi) decided to make a game together. Pretty much I am buying this day one!

Nioh: This game reminds of of Onimusha which is enough to interest me. I really can't wait to see more on this game as it gets closer to release.

Shenmue III: I have serious doubts that this game will actually be released next next year, this is THE most anticipated game of my life. By far the most important thing to me is the story and it continuing the Saga that has haunted me since the early 2000s.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 03:21:35 am »
I just realized I spaced entirely on the Switch for no real reason especially since I'm excited for Breath of the Wild lol

kashell

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 10:08:47 am »
Tales of Berseria is the only game that immediately comes to mind when I think of "gaming in 2017." I really hope it reinvigorates my love for the series since Tales of Zesty was such a let down. I've heard good things about ToB, but I'm still going in with some cautious optimism.

Looking at what I pre-ordered, I'm also excited about:

God Wars. It looks like it takes place in an alternate, feudal Japan. Plus it's a strategy game. I've been in a strategy game kick lately.

Atelier Shallie Plus. The original Atelier Shallie was my favorite game released last year. I'm sure that I'll be going through this one.

The Silver Case: The entire premise sounds really interesting, so this should be neat.

Tohou Gensou Wanderer: I pre-ordered this one because of the whole "two games in one" thing. But, after looking at it some more, it looks like it will be lots of fun.

With the news of Valkyria Revolution, I'm adding that to the list.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:01:24 am by kashell »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 10:22:18 am »
-Resident Evil 7

-The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

-Red Dead Redemption 2

-Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment

-Nintendo Switch
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:45:59 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 10:27:38 am »
I just realized I spaced entirely on the Switch for no real reason especially since I'm excited for Breath of the Wild lol

i was about to say....    ;)

you guys can make fun of me if you want,  but as someone who hasn't been into current gaming for over a decade, the Switch has me really excited and it has gotten me back into the scene a little bit already. Really really really excited for zelda and probably even moreso for a new 3d mario game even though I don't think we have any concrete details about it yet.
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 10:59:31 am »
Switch and all games that come along with it.

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 10:48:35 pm »
I'm looking forward to several games. Should be a good year for SEGA and looking forward to a quiet year for Blizzard (they released a lot I'm trying to catch up with). Other than those two companies, I tend to only play old games from steam sales. Very little on release date.

Yakuza 0 and Kiwami - One of the greatest series currently.

Shenmue 3 - 'nuff said.

Sonic Mania and Project Sonic - Mania looks good and Project Sonic looks like generations 2. And I liked Generations.

ToeJam and Earl: Back in the Groove. - Looks promising.

I did end up picking up a PS4 for my wife (wanted to play the sword art games) This gives me a good reason to play most of these and catch up on a few Sony releases.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 04:45:33 am »
Red Dead Redemption 2 is probably my most anticipated. I haven't played the previous entries but hopefully a Red Dead Redemption remaster will release or I guess I could play it on PlayStation Now and the first game doesn't seem like it aged well but Rockstar Games is by far the best developer/publisher in the business so anything they release is worth anticipating.

Other games I'm looking forward to are Gravity Rush 2 which I kind of want to buy day one just to support the IP but I didn't play the side content in Gravity Rush Remastered yet.

South Park: The Fractured but Whole. I haven't played The Stick of Truth but thankfully it's included as a pre-order bonus. I've been a South Park fan since I was in the third grade and still watch every episode live.

Yooka-Laylee I'm somewhat anticipating but probably not a day one purchase. $40 seems kind of steep for it and the game doesn't look like it's shaping up as nicely as I had hoped but 3D platformers are my favorite genre.

The 3D Mario game on Switch and Switch in general. Hoping for an Animal Crossing game on Switch in the first year.

Maybe Sonic Mania? Sonic CD was recently released for free on the App Store and that kind of filled my Sonic needs but if the price is right (and they release it physically) I'll probably pick it up.

Insomniac Games's Spider-Man. Second favorite developer. I'm sure the game will be amazing.

Crash trilogy.. don't like Crash much but hey it may lead to a Spyro trilogy which is what I really want.

Persona 5.

Wattam and the next Katamari game that had the ratings leak in the summer. Hopefully it's a PS4 title.

Trying to list stuff that will release in 2017 but WiLD and Dreams also look great. Not sure they'll release next year though.

argyle

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 10:44:50 am »
A lot of great-looking games lined up already for next year, but the ones that stand out the most for me & are confirmed are:

Ni no Kuni II: First game was amazing in spite of its clunky combat, and from the trailers this one seems to have corrected that so it should be phenomenal. Level 5 rocks at real-time RPGs, not so much at turn based. ;)

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age: There are 2 numbered FF's I haven't finished since I started the series w/ VII - XII & XIII-3 (Lightning Returns). I've started XII twice & always stop at the same spot, about 10 hours in. Hoping I can make it over the hump this time. And if those FF Anniversary Collection rumors are true, I may get to try LR on the PS4 as well. :)

Persona 5: I have never finished a Persona. Embarrassing for a JRPG fan, I know. Maybe this will be the one?

Horizon: Zero Dawn: I've wanted to play this since I first saw it. Can't wait!

South Park: The Fractured But Whole: Because Stick of Truth was amazeballs. :P

Scalebound: Keep forgetting I have a 'Bone now. :P Hope this one is as good as previews make it look.

Wipeout Omega Collection: Wipeout was the first Playstation game I ever played. I fell in love with the series immediately.

Games that I don't know are confirmed for 2017 or not, but they're day-1 for me if so:

FF7 Remake part 1, Spider-Man
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:16:49 pm by argyle »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 01:31:38 pm »
Horizon Zero Dawn - Easily my joint most anticipated game at moment. Everything about this seems incredible so far, great music, beautiful and rich world, varied and fun gameplay, awesome enemies and compelling story. If Guerrilla can succeed with this, we're in for a treat.

Gravity Rush 2 - My other most anticipated game for this year. Managed to play the remaster for the first game at the start of the year and I loved it. Kat is a really likeable character so it will be nice to play as her, plus we need to see where the story will go. The game should also benefit from being build ground up for the PS4, and the new gravity styles look fun.

Nioh - Gameplay seems fun and the setting/visuals look brilliant. Just worried it might be a bit too hard for me.

Nier Automata - The first Nier I enjoyed but nothing absolutely amazing, however Platinum is showing their touch for the gameplay. And the soundtrack seems like it will be as good as the first's.

For Honor - The concept for this is brilliant and the fact it's being made into a big AAA game is lovely. Only concerns are that 3 factions seems really little and Ubisoft is in control.

Prey - Never played the first Prey so I had no expectations for the reveal, but it looks interesting. It's luckily coming from a popular studio and if it plays like Bethesda's other shooters (cough Doom) then it should be good.

Shadow Warrior 2 (console release) - Haven't played the first but I will try and do that soon. Nevertheless this looks crazy and I can't wait to get into the series.

Little Nightmares - Creepy as hell. That's all I can say. This was revealed ages ago under the name Hunger but nothing was said of it until recently. I'm so glad it's back, the sound is used brilliantly and the enemies look horrible.

Agony - My god the visuals in this game, disgustingly glorious. The setting is remarkable, I just need more idea on what they will do with the gameplay and story.

Outlast 2 - The first game was very simple but very effective. Putting you into a horrible location and no option but run created an amazingly scary experience and I can't wait to see what they do in the sequel.

Resident Evil 7 - Never played a Resident Evil game before but it looks like they really trying their hardest to make this one scary. 

Yooka Laylee - Finally, I played Banjo Kazooie recently and while I think it has awesome ideas it has some bad ones and hasn't aged too well. Hopefully Yooka Laylee can fix all these problems and show the world that 3D platformers are still awesome.

Might have forgotten some and not known some release dates. Who knows how many of these will be game of the year contenders. Anyway 2017 is looking like another good year for gaming so bring it on.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 01:49:53 pm »
Ghost Recon: Wildlands: Assuming this isn't an always connected, always online, never pausing, Ubisoft experience, I'm stoked for this game.  I was stoked for Steep when I first heard about it, but when I bought it and found out it was one of those Ubisoft experiences, I was wildly disappointed.  I'm still considering returning it, probably will.

Yooka-Laylee: Like most kickstarter games, the closer to release, the less hyped I am for the game.  Especially with the cancellation of the Wii U version, I'm pretty let down so far, but I'm hoping it plays better than N&B.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Love me some Zelda, so definitely in for this one.

Lots of games I'm planning on buying and have already pre-ordered, but I wouldn't say I'm hyped or anything.  Shoot the only reason I've preordered said games is because of cheap prices or deals.

spac316

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 10:00:18 pm »
Mostly looking forward to...

Zelda Breath of the Wild, Whether it would be for the Wii U or Switch. Most likely get it for Wii U since I still have the console and got that version preordered.

Berserk: Band of the Hawk. Just a dream come true. (still don't have a PS4 as of this post, need to get one before this comes out!)

Yooka-Laylee, a true Rare style game with out the company behind it. Plus I was a backer for the KickStarter so it better be good, lol!

Halo Wars 2...in a way. I'm not a real RTS kind of guy but I enjoyed the first one. I like the Lore of the Halo universe so it would be nice to see another story. but I'm gonna need a detailed walkthrough to get any enjoyment of this, lol!

And the Nintendo Switch. A new console is always exciting. Can't wait to see the presentation on the 12th.

It's still early so there could be more games on the horizon I may want to get my hands on.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:10:18 pm by spac316 »