Author Topic: Hello this is oldgamerz admins should read  (Read 1103 times)

Hello this is oldgamerz admins should read
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:17:39 pm »
hello Im vary new here and I love your site, so far. I have been adding some of my games into the database. and I wanted to let you know I am using the internet and other sites to pull up the needed information that I need for my digital collection. I however do not want to get anyone in trouble. And I am worrying that I am using other sources such as Wikipedia and this international museum at this link https://www.arcade-museum.com/

both site i am using their description not my own, just verify my account additions  I do not know much about what is or is not against the rules or the law I am aware of internet copyrights and it is a pain that some people pick a fight over descriptions and photos taken from other sites please leave me a message or if your a senior or insightful member just leave a response thank you, My goal is to add my entire collection including the details found on the internet for the games not included already inside the database I am running multiple google searches as well to pull up any information and Please tell me if it is ok to add or not
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

desocietas

Re: Hello this is oldgamerz admins should read
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:46:23 pm »
Welcome!

We appreciate your comments and your eagerness to contribute to the database.

First thing is that we want to make sure you understand how we use the "description" field (per our style guide:
The Description field should be notes about the games packaging variants/ pack ins/ collector's edition details. Or trivia about the games release, such as if it is a launch title, last title, a very limited release,  etc. This should not be filled with store descriptions describing the gameplay or hyping up the title. Plagiarizing descriptions from other sources will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

If you're pulling descriptions from other sites, you might be using the description field incorrectly.

Do you have examples of a record you might want us to check?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 10:48:47 pm »
Welcome!

We appreciate your comments and your eagerness to contribute to the database.

First thing is that we want to make sure you understand how we use the "description" field (per our style guide:
The Description field should be notes about the games packaging variants/ pack ins/ collector's edition details. Or trivia about the games release, such as if it is a launch title, last title, a very limited release,  etc. This should not be filled with store descriptions describing the gameplay or hyping up the title. Plagiarizing descriptions from other sources will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

If you're pulling descriptions from other sites, you might be using the description field incorrectly.

Do you have examples of a record you might want us to check?

yea most of the games i've added are arcade originals most of them I have not played before and as far as all the descriptions written they were just copied and pasted to the details under my collectors username. the ones I'm most worried about are the ones with the decription from the international arcade museum displayed in the link above. I don't have photoshop so all the images are from a google source. I understand facebook's copyright policy but it looks to me at this point that everyone is just loading pictures off the internet or somehow photo shopping them somehow

I do know and trust the International Arcade Museum and Wikipedia. As far as what I was told it is ok to write in things from Wikipedia but not a business or selling type of site from my webmaster training course
 source from http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9669

subject on site
https://vgcollect.com/item/120413

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:55:38 pm »
I would like to contribute to the database correctly but I don't know how to make my own photos i don't own any box art and I don't know how most of these game photos were made off google just like I said earlier I hate that copyright violation law not because I pirate games but because It seems I can't use anything off the internet basically without violating that law :( why does a photo of something matter I am not asking you but I am asking why are people so picky?

NO APPS NEEDED

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 10:12:47 am »
I will check with staff at KLOV/IAM about this, but the description you put on that Space Invaders is not the type of information we are looking for and has been removed from that entry.

Information appropriate for description field would be their other type of info:

Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical
    Type: Raster: Standard Resolution
    CRT: Color

Conversion Class: unique

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
Maximum number of Players: 2
Gameplay: Alternating
Control Panel Layout: Single Player
Controls:

Joystick: 2-way (left, right)
    Buttons: 1 [Fire]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Cabinet Styles:

Upright/Standard
    Cocktail

However, a straight copy and paste would not be advised due to the formatting.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:14:41 am by tripredacus »

telly

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 10:30:59 am »
Why does a photo of something matter I am not asking you but I am asking why are people so picky?

Welcome!

Unfortunately we are quite picky on this site ;) I see it as a strength though, it makes our database more detail oriented and accurate. I will say that I usually stay away from filling in the description field for titles, unless it's the contents of a special editon or something like that
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:32:41 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 02:04:17 pm »
Can I still add games only without a decription? because I plan on just to leave it blank for games not in the database thank you guys for checking the Information at IAM. if i find a game that is not listed I will (not) place a description I read the rules 4 times over, my goal is that I am also picky when it comes to game descriptions and I know all you ask is for the truth and I understand that fully. one game photo didnt come out I am not sure why or how that happened I tryed to fix it. please don't ban from this site or backdate.. my final question is the photo, how do make a photo? display without photo shopping it. Are google pics allowed as images on site or does everything have to be custom and photo shopped that is where i am still confused. I never plan on writing another description  and also everything I wrote into the database is the truth according from 3 sources 1:google 2: IAM and 3: Wikipedia just to let you guys know

something in like a video game compilation impossible to get a photo without the internet that is why I highly recommend you do check the IAM, thank you for being kind I am also kind and i will not take advantage.

NO APPS NEEDED

pacpix

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 08:48:22 pm »
Welcome to VGCollect!  :)

You can definitely add games without a description.  In fact the only things you need to add an item to the database are the title, and the platform (Although we prefer as much information is filled out as possible of course).

I'm not sure what you are asking about in regards to the photos.  If you are asking if it is ok to upload a photo from the internet that you did not personally take, then yes that is fine as long as the artwork has not been watermarked.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)