Author Topic: "WHAT HAVE I DONE!" said my wife(now with pictures)  (Read 2947 times)

jcalder8

"WHAT HAVE I DONE!" said my wife(now with pictures)
« on: March 18, 2012, 11:00:36 pm »
So Zellers is closing their locations in Canada and EVERYTHING is for sale at certain locations. This means that they are selling all of their fixtures including their game/dvd stands. My wife and I headed in there to see what they had.

They are selling off their branded display units for 500 a piece, which is WAY too much for my budgets but then they are also selling off their dvd stands. They had a nice black one but all the dvds had to face forward thus limiting the number of games that could be displayed. Now they also had a silver one that had all the dvds facing spine out. This one can potentially hold about 800 titles! The best part is that this one was only $100 and then we asked if there was any discount available so we got it for $90. Then as we are driving off it suddenly dawns on my wife that she has just helped me buy a shelving unit that can hold another 800 games! We are both in love with the unit though and it has wheels on it so it will be easy to move around.

I can't pick it up until all the dvds are sold or moved off of it, which should take a couple weeks at most. I can't wait to get it all set up and I will for sure post some pictures once it's inside.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:02:06 pm by jcalder8 »

amauriel

Re: "WHAT HAVE I DONE!" said my wife
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:07:51 pm »
Are Zellers owned by Sears/Kmart? Because both of the Kmarts within driving distance of me are closing as well.

I hadn't called yet to find out how much the branded shelving was but I really wanted the Nintendo etched one. $500 is way out of my price range as well.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

soera

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:20:36 pm »
Is Sears going under too? I dont know of a Kmart around here but I do know some Sears stores around here. :D

amauriel

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 11:44:50 pm »
Some are. I found a bunch of lists but none of them had the Columbus Olentangy River Rd store on them, which I knew was closing for sure (since it's the closest one for me and I had recently been looking for Skylanders there)

So finally a trip to the Sears website got me this list: http://www.searsmedia.com/tools/02232012_close.html

I think it's funny that they are closing both Kmart stores that I know of in Columbus, but they are leaving the one open in Kenton, OH....population 8,000.

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:17:17 am »
I saw this thread title on the sidebar and thought it was spam for a second.

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:52:34 pm »

XD
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

jcalder8

Re: "WHAT HAVE I DONE!" said my wife(now with pictures)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 11:08:59 pm »

Only issue with it is that the bars are on the shelves mean that you can't slide the games but I love that it's on wheels and it has allowed me to free up a lot more space on other shelving.

scott

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:21:37 pm »
Haha nice!

Your house is starting to look like a back alley mom and pop game store. ha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 12:42:40 am »
Nice! Those racks are the best for displaying games.

I did the same thing a while back. When Circuit City was closing, i ended up getting a giant DVD/Game/Cd display rack. It was a deal i just couldnt pass up. Also it was an excuse to buy more games. Cant have a half filled rack now, can we?  :P

soera

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 01:26:07 am »
I wouldnt mind getting something like that. Im sure in a few weeks some electronic store/blockbuster is going to be going under so Ill pick one up soon.

amauriel

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 09:42:45 pm »
Sorry, I'm sorta bringing back an old thread, but the K-marts are getting in their last few days.

My local Kmart was starting to get desperate, so check out what we load up on Tuesday and bring home:

And the best part is, we get that whole thing for $120 USD! They wanted over $300 when the whole deal started. (We do not get the back that connects to the shelving. So it's sadly going into storage until we have a location that we can assemble it against a wall.)

If anybody lives near a K-mart, it might be worth checking out what's left!

jcalder8

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 09:58:21 pm »
Those look great, at Zellers they want 500-600 for similar units. I'll be waiting until the week before they close and offering them $50.

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 10:30:26 pm »
Those look great, at Zellers they want 500-600 for similar units. I'll be waiting until the week before they close and offering them $50.

lol that's the spirit

Adding the "now with pictures" makes it all the more spammy XD
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 10:35:43 pm »
That shelving unit is sweet, but I could never have something like that. I do dig the sliding doors though, and could build something new using those as the doors and scraping the rest.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

amauriel

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 11:19:02 pm »
@scott: That's exactly what we're going to be doing. The sides are metal and aren't too bad, and the doors are great. The rest, however, is pretty trashed. It was worth the $120 just for those doors though.

And @jcalder8: This particular K-mart closes Monday. (Hence why we pick that up Tuesday.) So we couldn't really wait to go much lower. And the woman knew off the top of her head how much it weight, approx., and how much scrap was going for. So I think we went as cheap as she was willing.